Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Football 13 - General Impressions Thread

• Facebook
  • Display

NCAA Football 13 - General Impressions Thread

Use this thread for general discussion and comments regarding your experience(s) playing NCAA Football 13.

EA SPORTS Season Ticket subscribers will be able to start sharing thoughts July 6.

Playing with RGIII at Nebraska on Heisman Challenge. It took a few starts, but eventually RGIII became captain, so you'll get to see him with his helmet off at the coin toss. Pretty cool.

My impressions so far, zone is a disaster. Just read G's official impressions thread, read the replies by Outback and Beatn, watch the videos, it'll tell you all you need to know. Playing a throwaway dynasty as Colorado State, playing Colorado right now and I've been burned for a 49 yard TD while calling a zone play, and I've burned the Colorado defense for a 55 yard pass thanks to my receiver running right past two linebackers and a safety while on a streak route with none of them showing any serious attempt to cover. None of them really even seemed to acknowledge the receiver until my QB started to throw the ball.

This MUST be a patch fix by EA, either day one or in the next patch after, but they have got to do something. While it doesn't happen every single time you call zone (I stopped Colorado on a drive, knocking down two passes while calling zone both times), when it does rear it's ugly head, it is both noticeable and a potential killer when you're in the middle of a game.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    My impressions so far, zone is a disaster. Just read G's official impressions thread, read the replies by Outback and Beatn, watch the videos, it'll tell you all you need to know. Playing a throwaway dynasty as Colorado State, playing Colorado right now and I've been burned for a 49 yard TD while calling a zone play, and I've burned the Colorado defense for a 55 yard pass thanks to my receiver running right past two linebackers and a safety while on a streak route with none of them showing any serious attempt to cover. None of them really even seemed to acknowledge the receiver until my QB started to throw the ball.

This MUST be a patch fix by EA, either day one or in the next patch after, but they have got to do something. While it doesn't happen every single time you call zone (I stopped Colorado on a drive, knocking down two passes while calling zone both times), when it does rear it's ugly head, it is both noticeable and a potential killer when you're in the middle of a game.
    No way they patch that day 1. Everyone will just have to call man-to-man every play. DEFENSE needs to get #1 seed (and by DEFENSE I mean the ability to just DOMINATE the game with that side of the ball). See the SEC in general.

I LOVED the 1st game

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    No way they patch that day 1. Everyone will just have to call man-to-man every play. DEFENSE needs to get #1 seed (and by DEFENSE I mean the ability to just DOMINATE the game with that side of the ball). See the SEC in general.

I LOVED the 1st game
    Yeah, I'm not holding out my hope for a day one patch. But they need to seriously work on CPU. I understand there is probably not a lot they are going to do this late in the cycle, with the new consoles coming out within one or two years, but if they choose at all to work on and fix the CPU for the 360/PS3 series, they must put their full attention towards for it NCAA '14. As many dreams and hopes as I have for seeing stuff added to and fleshed out in coaching carousel and custom conferences, and elsewhere in dynasty, I will not complain at all if they devote the overwhelming majority of their time to working on and fixing the CPU for '14. The CPU has been trash, in one area or the game or another, every year now, something has been broken and horrible in each game. They need to get on top of this and fix it and get it actually working correctly.

This is the third impression I'm posting, one on each of the major forums, and each is a little different the more I play.

My feeling right now is that the game is almost unplayable to me. I know it is excessive and fatigue and the emotion of the last game are facoting in but...The defense is just so bad and so predictable that I can't envision myself enjoying this for 12 months like I did with 12.

I had my QB scramble, looking backwards towards the oppositie endzone, spin and throw while spinning and complete a pass just off the ground to a WR it wasn't intended for. The end result would have been ok had the QB not started throwing with his back to the receiver.

I'm still having trouble with precision passing although I think I am getting better at finsing the right "touch". However, interceptions are high, some due to the receiver being missed by 5+ yards. Maybe that can be fixed with sliders, but its alarming. Also, drops seem a little high.

Most of my time has been played running the no huddle spread/air raid so I can't comment much on the run game. However, running no huddle is wonky. Sometimes you have to hit the no huddle button several times to get out of the animation. It really throws off the flow of the game.

The defense playing 10 yards off when in man coverage is unexcusable, forcing you to have to run bump almost exclusively. If not, the curl and slant are easily abused.

The playbooks are also pretty bad. I know the easy retort is, use custom playbooks. However, with all of the freezing issues we had in our ODs I'm scared to death to use them. Plus, with the defense being as bad as it is, I feel custom playbooks will just allow players to have every cheese play there is in their book. The default offensive playbooks just seem like the same six plays or so over and over out of different formations. Maybe I'm spoiled by my custom playbook from last year but they seem bland, boring and predictable.

As far as defensive playbooks, the standard nickel and dimes are so easily run on if not blitzing that they are almost unusable against a balanced user. I haven't tested this, but I feel like the LBs and DBs bail hard on most pass defenses (without pass commit) and it gives the offense a big head start when running, especially on draws.

I know its still early and my opinion has already change several times. However, I'm very concerned with the defensive issues (DBs running away on option plays, standing and watching receptions, bailing on run plays, 10 yard cushions, etc). Some of the animations are ridiculous, even going opposite of the "looking for the ball" selling point. Also, the game screens are laggy at times and we have even had the game freeze in the roster edit mode.

Maybe sliders and a very early patch can save it, but I'm growing very worried. I was excited about the possibilities this game brought and there is certainly time for my impression to change. However, right now I would say the chances of me playing this game for more than a month or two (I played NCAA 12 for 12 months straight) are less than 75%. That makes me sad...
    Last edited by majesty95; 07-07-2012 at 06:08 AM.

I've played 4 games now and i am getting the impression it is easy to run. And ALOT of Man defense will be ran...even though it still is not difficult to throw against. Zone is attrocious every time I've used it

There is no doubt that there are some concerns, especially with cpu D and zone D in general. However, for me the sky isn't falling. At some point a patch will come out to help with the read and react D and that will greatly improve the D... I hope. People cannot be so surprised as this has been NCAA next gen's track record. Even with the issues, I am still excited about this game. That being said ask me agian tonight after the kids go to bed and I get a ton of games in. Maybe I am not as bothered becuase I have only played one game. The rest of my time was spent putting together a playbook.

Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post
    I've played 4 games now and i am getting the impression it is easy to run. And ALOT of Man defense will be ran...even though it still is not difficult to throw against. Zone is attrocious every time I've used it
    I have to agree 10,000%

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post

patch fix ? this sounds like how the game played after the patch last year ? all this time and they cant get the defense to the decent level it was before last years patch?

I'm not sure what to think honestly. Last night (albeit after no sleep for 20 hours) the sky was kind of falling. However, I just played and online ranked game and threw 6 picks. So, the defense is a mixed bag.

Sometimes I'm confused and what I thought was man turns out to be zone and a LB drops into space and picks me off. Other times, the defender runs the route in front of my receiver as it "psychic". Then there are the times that the DBs play 10 yards off and you can just slant/curl them to death and the deep cross across the middle is pretty much money vs zone.

Last year it was 90% play zone. This year it seems its going to be 90% play man. I just wish there was some balance.

I also think part of my INT issues are preceision passing related. Not sure if it is just me not having used it enough or a tuning issue but I seem to throw a lot of "lobs" when I really want a touch pass. Many times these get picked off. I'm also finding it almost impossible to lead a receiver to their outside, back shoulder like was advertised. Again, might just be me but it is really frustrating.

On a positive note, the dynamic lighting is very cool and I really like the precision passing when I can get it to work right. The new animations are much better and running to the outside is not as easily exploited.

I just played two additional games. First I was MSU playing at WSU. I won 24-7. I had ZERO sacks and no pressure versus WSU. However, the game was a lot of fun. Then I decided to play two equally match low ranking teams. I played as Rice and I hosted SJSU. Both teams are C across the board. Rice runs a 4-2-5 D and that is what I plan on using this year. Long story short, this is the #1 ranked game with a score of1211 points. Wow! This game was an amazing defensive struggle. I lost 19-16 in OT. At halftime I was up 6-3. In the last two minutes of the game I scored a TD to take the lead 13-10. Then SJSU moved down the field. On 3rd and 1 with 26 seconds left, I stopped them on the goaline. They kick an FG with 3seconds remaining to tie it up. In OT my WR drops two straight passes (both would have been TD's) so I kick the fieldgoal for a 16-13 lead. On SJSU's first play, the QB throws a strike for a TD... and the game ends. What an amazing game! Other than penalties, all sliders were default AA. I ended the game with 9 sacks!!! What an amazing contrast from the first game.

Freshman
    I've played a few games and made a few minor slider tweaks thus far. Pass defense is inconsistent for both the CPU and users. I'm happy with the game, though. I think a tuner update will take care of most of the complaints out there now.

is anyone else having problems with the game freezing at the start of a dynasty game?

If you play 2 players vs the cpu, it doesn't show you the cpu's personnel so you have no idea what kind of defense to use or if they're kicking a FG or punting. Sigh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by KIDZER0918 View Post
    is anyone else having problems with the game freezing at the start of a dynasty game?
    Not seen it. Dynasty or Online Dynasty? User vs user game or vs cpu? Custom playbooks? Week 1 or when?

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    Not seen it. Dynasty or Online Dynasty? User vs user game or vs cpu? Custom playbooks? Week 1 or when?
    I had it freeze at game 4 with OU at Texas Tech, with or without custom playbooks, with custom playbooks deleted, on All-American 8 minute qtrs.

I tried about twenty times, then decided to sim it. That worked. Then I tried to re-create my playbooks, it froze again.

I have not had too many problems in the play now other than I was playing head to head vs a couple of buddies and the game would freeze mid play and start back up. Very frustrating so far.

I have now deleted the game off of my hard drive and am trying to re-install.

I can hope that when I get the disc on Tuesday that it doesn't do all this, I have a sneaking feeling that I am going to be very disappointed.

on xbox

Freshman
    I had the freeze issue in an offline dynasty. Tried 3 times before just deleting the file. There were no custom playbooks. Was just standard AF playbook with AF on the road in week 2 vs Michigan.

Absolutely bizzare game last night. I started making some slider tweaks and I wanted to use a fair team versus a weak team and take advantage of the elements. So, I played as Idaho (as the home team)versus ASU (as the visiting team) with the game at Sun Devil Stadium. The game was played at night with heavy wind (25mph) and rain. The final score of the game was 6-0 Idaho. I limited ASU to 68 yards of offense and I was limited to 178 yards of offense. However, for all intents and purposes the game should have gone to OT and ZERO offensive points were scored. I had three safeties against ASU!!! Two were from screens the QB didn't throw and the third was a speed option in the endzone. That is the first time in NCAA FOOTBALL SERIES that I nor the opposition has scored offensive points. ASU played dreadful but in the last drive I upped the CPU RUN BLOCK to 60 and I witnessed some decent runs. The weather totally impacted this game though... it was a blast to play!

Started a fake practice dynasty. Oh my God, setting up the recruiting board is so hard! I ask to show me players who's top 10 I'm in and it came back with 13 players! LOL! So I go about filling up my board to scout and now I hate the randomness of scouting even more. I would literally load my board up with 35 players if I could pick what I choose to scout. As it is now, it takes an entire hour to scout an O-Lineman when I could spend 30 minutes (if 10 minutes=2 categories) to find out what I really want to know. I'm going to go on the GameChangers page and suggest that they take the randomness out of scouting because I feel like I'm wasting time hoping to find out what I want to know and if I don't, then I gotta wait 'til next week to hopefully find out.