• EA SPORTS Unveils Gen4 "IGNITE" Engine

At E3, EA SPORTS unveiled their new game engine EA SPORTS IGNITE that will power their titles on the Xbox One and PlayStation 4. The new technology incorporates improved rendering, physics, animation, intelligence and more in an attempt to deliver a more rich and dynamic experience.

EA SPORTS also announced that Madden NFL 25, FIFA 14, NBA LIVE 14, and EA SPORTS UFC will be released within the next 12 months on both XB1 & PS4.

UPDATE - This article from IGN provides insight on the benefits the IGNITE engine will provide for all EA studios & developers.

Andrew Wilson, Executive VP of EA SPORTS: "So what we did this time wasn’t so much about getting a single engine – although that is what has facilitated the fundamental shift we’re about to embark on – it’s we’re all investing in a single code base. It’s not just about the shared technology; it’s about aggregate investment in innovation now across every team that feeds back in. So when you think about the multiplier effect you’re going to get in year two or three of five or six or seven different game teams, all investing and innovating on a single code base, and all that innovation rolling back into a single branch which they all start from the following cycle – that’s the real value of Ignite."

Continue on to view videos showcasing the new engine and read the official press release for EA SPORTS IGNITE.

IGNITE Official Trailer

Official Press Release

Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) announced today that it has developed EA SPORTS™ IGNITE, a new game engine that will power EA SPORTS games on Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft, and PlayStation®4. Fueled by EA SPORTS IGNITE, EA SPORTS games will be alive with players who think, move, and behave like real athletes and dynamic living worlds, transforming the way people play and experience games on next gen consoles. Created with the EA SPORTS IGNITE engine, Madden NFL 25, FIFA 14, NBA LIVE 14, and EA SPORTS™ UFC, will each launch within the next 12 months.

EA SPORTS IGNITE blends new technology with the best rendering, run-time physics, animation, intelligence, locomotion, and online systems from across EA into one powerful, new engine. Athletes will possess human-like intelligence for advanced decision-making, players will have the agility required to change speeds and directions with true athletic motion, and living worlds will make the game experience as rich and dynamic as real-world stadiums and arenas. A video showcasing how EA SPORTS games will look and play on Xbox One can be viewed here.

“Through years of investment and innovation, we have built technology across EA SPORTS to create a game engine that will deliver stunning accuracy, realism and experiences that we previously could only dream about,” said Andrew Wilson, Executive Vice President and Head of EA SPORTS. “With EA SPORTS IGNITE and the power of next generation consoles, our games will come alive—with more authenticity, more emotion, more connectivity, and more fun.”

Athletes in EA SPORTS next gen games will be able to make intelligent decisions with human-like reaction times. EA SPORTS IGNITE computes four times more calculations per second than previous consoles, unlocking nearly infinite potential for how players think, and enabling them to make more difficult decisions faster. Players are alive with contextual awareness and instincts—thinking, anticipating, and reacting—just like real athletes, and players are conscious of their environment. In FIFA 14, for example, a player’s sense of urgency increases as the match draws on and a goal is needed, rushing to take a free kick, corner, or goal-kick if time is running down.

EA SPORTS IGNITE will deliver the dynamic movements and biomechanics of the world’s best athletes. With 10 times more animation depth and detail than previous consoles, and thousands of new sport-specific animations to drive new locomotion systems, players now plant, pivot and cut, quickly change speeds, and shift momentum with the agility and explosiveness of superstar athletes.

EA SPORTS games for the next generation will have stunning accuracy and visuals. By creating living worlds, the in-game environment is now as dynamic as real-world stadiums and arenas that change throughout a match. For the first time ever, 3D crowds and dynamic sidelines will impact the experience, and rich sports atmospheres will change organically based on the progress of a match. Player actions will change depending on the situation, and crowds will have an expectation of how a game is likely to play out, and react accordingly.

Madden NFL 25, FIFA 14, EA SPORTS UFC and NBA LIVE 14, will release worldwide within the next 12 months on Xbox One and the PlayStation 4, and will be available for pre-order soon. Madden NFL 25 will release in North America on August 27 and worldwide on August 30 on the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. FIFA 14 will also be available on the Xbox 360, PlayStation3, PC and additional platforms. The release date has not yet been announced.
    Comments 18 Comments
      TIMB0B -
      So, the games have already been created for XBOX1/PS4?
      Oneback -
      With the power the NextGen consoles possess and the hype EA is building for the IGNITE engine, they are removing any and all excuses there may be for not producing a top notch game loaded with all the features the fan base has craved for the last five years - I guess time will tell if they can live up to it.
      Jayrah -
      Quote Originally Posted by Oneback View Post
      With the power the NextGen consoles possess and the hype EA is building for the IGNITE engine, they are removing any and all excuses there may be for not producing a top notch game loaded with all the features the fan base has craved for the last five years - I guess time will tell if they can live up to it.
      Yup. I won't expect it in year 1 though. I expect some growing pains. But I want to see big progress over the last time we upgraded consoles
      onikuno -
      Never EVER EVER buy the new next gen game year one. You'll end up disappointed.
      dhook27 -
      Quote Originally Posted by onikuno View Post
      Never EVER EVER buy the new next gen game year one. You'll end up disappointed.
      bdoughty -
      Quote Originally Posted by onikuno View Post
      Never EVER EVER buy the new next gen CONSOLE year one. You'll end up disappointed.
      Just a tiny edit.
      dhook27 -
      Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
      Just a tiny edit.
      um a think it was fine the way it was,Lol.
      countryboy -
      All of this sounds great, but right now its just words on paper(computer screen) and visions/promises.

We've down this road before. Hopefully EA can bring these visions to fruition and not leave us wondering when they are going to deliver like we did most, if not all, this generation.
      cdj -
      Here's some additional info on the IGNITE engine, courtesy gamingbolt.com:

The true value of EA’s new Ignite Engine isn’t just in its next-gen aspirations but in that it allows for EA Sports to access the same set of features across multiple games, according to EA Sports executive vice-president Andrew Wilson.

Speaking to IGN, Wilson stated that, “We actually shared a fair bit of technology overall across our sports portfolio. However, the versions of each technology and the investment that was being made for that technology was somewhat disparate across the various franchises.

“So FIFA could build something into physics, but Madden would never get it – because they were on a different branch of that particular code base. What we did this time [with Ignite] wasn’t so much about getting a single engine – although that is what has facilitated the fundamental shift we’re about to embark on – it’s we’re all investing in a single code base.

“So when you think about the multiplier effect you’re going to get in year two or three of five or six or seven different game teams, all investing and innovating on a single code base, and all that innovation rolling back into a single branch which they all start from the following cycle – that’s the real value of Ignite.”

The model is similar to what Frostbite 3 is currently achieving for other EA games, in fact. “Now if FIFA builds something awesome it rolls back into the mainline, and Madden gets it the very next year. If Madden does something awesome it rolls back into the mainline, and NBA Live gets it the very next year. It’s not just about the shared technology; it’s about aggregate investment in innovation now across every team that feeds back in, and that is going to be accelerated for us in year two, year three, and year four.

“I believe we’re going to see some amazing things, as a result of that. I will pit my sports teams up against any other game team in the world. I think they’re unbelievably smart and bright, and deliver great innovation. And I believe Ignite is going to harness that at a greater level than we ever have before.”
      Jayrah -
      I'm getting it, regardless of you guys . And I'll be playing a "disappointing" version of Madden this year I guess.
      CLW -
      Me color me skeptical. I still think these vids are pre-rendered (like last gen) and are not actual gameplay runnning on an XB1/PS4. Unless/Until I can play a demo and/or see a ton of ACTUAL GAMEPLAY I'm not buying any of these titles especially since they come out on just over 2 months now and we have ZERO info on the features in these titles nor do we know how they will play.
      SCClassof93 -
      Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
      Me color me skeptical. I still think these vids are pre-rendered (like last gen) and are not actual gameplay runnning on an XB1/PS4. Unless/Until I can play a demo and/or see a ton of ACTUAL GAMEPLAY I'm not buying any of these titles especially since they come out on just over 2 months now and we have ZERO info on the features in these titles nor do we know how they will play.
      steelerfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
      There are plenty of actual gameplay vids in the FIFA threads.

I'm using Tapatalk 2 and the Cleveland Browns STILL suck.
      jaymo76 -
      Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post

I wonder if that says something about Madden??? FIFA 14 (ps3) comes out later than madden 25 (ps3) yet there is a ton of next gen footage of FIFA and there is one clip of next gen in which a couple of run plays are shown over and over... That might be a sign???
      cdj -
      Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post

And we also know of some features for NBA Live 14.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
      I wonder if that says something about Madden??? FIFA 14 (ps3) comes out later than madden 25 (ps3) yet there is a ton of next gen footage of FIFA and there is one clip of next gen in which a couple of run plays are shown over and over... That might be a sign???
      I think it's just the issue with EA trying to sell a current & next-gen version of a game. NBA 2K is in the same boat and we also have nothing on their next-gen title.
      ram29jackson -
      ps3...ps3 slim...probably wait for version 2 of ps4,,...
      CLW -
      Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
      I think it's just the issue with EA trying to sell a current & next-gen version of a game. NBA 2K is in the same boat and we also have nothing on their next-gen title.
      Could be. Could be that the PS4/XB1 versions BLOW and they know it. EA has a track record of hiding crappy games (see NBA Live the last X times they tried to release it).
      DynastyJunkie -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jayrah View Post
      I'm getting it, regardless of you guys . And I'll be playing a "disappointing" version of Madden this year I guess.
      Lol.... People need to realize that it will take a couple of years to take full advantage of the next gen consoles. Just like when computers were first created it took it a while to fully develop into what it is today. People have created too great of expectations for the first games to ever be created on a Next-Gen console. I'm excited for Madden, NBA 2K14, etc. But I don't expect it to be perfect the very first year or look and feel exactly like real life.