• NCAA Football 13 - Heisman Challenge

    The latest NCAA Football 13 Playbook webcast is is in the books and has unveiled the new Heisman Challenge mode. The mode allows users to select from a pool of former Heisman Trophy winners that can be placed on any team as they attempt to recreate or surpass that player's Heisman-winning season.

    "There are familiar faces on the field in NCAA Football 13, which now features a selection of former Heisman Trophy winners. With the new Heisman Challenge mode, fans have the ability to utilize the skill set of a legendary Heisman Trophy winner in a quest to match his award-winning historical performances and win the Heisman trophy once again."

    Continue on to see the webcast, as well as full Heisman Challenge news and coverage.


    Official Site Blogs:
    May 30, 2012 - 'NCAA Football 13 Playbook #4 - Heisman Challenge Dev Blog' by Alex Howell
    May 30, 2012 - 'NCAA Football 13 Community Blog Ė Heisman Challenge' by Brian Parker

    Media Articles:
    May 31, 2012 - ESPN Video Games: 'Legends return for Heisman Challenge' by Jon Robinson
    May 31, 2012 - Kotaku: 'Even Heisman Winners Have Video Game Fantasies, and Thatís NCAA Football 13ís New Mode' by Owen Good


    Webcast and Info


    Watch live streaming video from easports at livestream.com

    • 16 former Heisman winners
    • One season on any team
    • Specific goals and accomplishments for each player
    • Reaction Time - new gameplay feature. LT during gameplay
    • Over 64 video interviews with the Heisman winners; unlocked as you play. Different stories for each player: game specific interviews, Heisman questions, Recruiting questions, Reflections on their Heisman year.
    • Compete on new Heisman leaderboards
    • Bonus unlockables if you win the Heisman
    • Exact look from their glory days
    • 3D Modeled player heads
    • Retro style
    • Modeled after winning year
    • Load screen for game will give player facts and history


    10 Playable Heisman Winners in Base Version
    • WR Desmond Howard
    • RB Barry Sanders
    • RB Eddie George
    • RB Marcus Allen
    • RB Herschel Walker
    • QB Robert Griffin III
    • QB Charlie Ward
    • QB Doug Flutie
    • QB Andre Ware
    • QB Carson Palmer


    GameStop Pre-orders will unlock:
    • RB Mark Ingram
    • QB Tim Tebow
    • QB Matt Leinart


    Play the Three Demo games to unlock:
    • WR Tim Brown
    • RB Archie Griffin
    • QB Jim Plunkett


    The Athleticism
    Maxed out attributes
    • Overall ratings above 100
    • Eddie's speed
    • Herschel's power
    • Tim Brown's hands
    • Flutie's elusiveness


    The Plays
    Tuned Playcalling
    • More passes for QBs
    • More rushes for RBs
    • More catches for Wrs


    The Moments
    Special Teams added
    • Return kicks and punts
    • Recreate Desmond
    • Barry's returns
    • Tim Brown's 2 returns


    The Challenge
    Break goals and accomplishments for each player
    • Player specific goals
    • Different goals for each Heisman Winner
    • Based on Heisman Year stats
    • Over 40 goals for each player

    Compete on the Leaderboards
    • Finish Accomplishments to max out Legend Score


    The Gameplay
    Heisman Mode & RTG Specific
    • Reaction Time slows the game
    • Left Trigger activates it
    • Letting go of LT brings you back to real-time

    Camera Zoom in on the action
    • Position Specific Cameras
    • Seeing receivers run routes is easier
    • Running the ball is more fun

    Reaction Time has its limits
    • Gain yards to gain more time
    • Meter at playcall shows amount of time you have left to use
    Comments 134 Comments
    1. JeffHCross's Avatar
      JeffHCross -
      Goal #1: Recreate this imageThat should be a trophy: Take a screenshot with Eddie George in the foreground and all 11 Fighting Irish defenders behind him.

      Depending on how this mode is implemented, it could be interesting. There definitely were some create Heisman seasons over the years. Though if it's entire Heisman seasons, obviously that would be ... long. I imagine it'll be moments instead. For Eddie, it'll either be Notre Dame or 314 yards against Illinois.
    1. ram29jackson's Avatar
      ram29jackson -
      even a season mode would be pointless. Unless you can use these guys in dynasty's, this wont be very interesting
    1. JeffHCross's Avatar
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
      even a season mode would be pointless. Unless you can use these guys in dynasty's, this wont be very interesting
      Would you say the same about NBA 2k12 and all the legends there? There are plenty of ways to make this interesting without being able to get them in Dynasty (plus, creating them in Dynasty is already easy enough -- you can simply Edit existing players)
    1. OSUCowboyofMD's Avatar
      OSUCowboyofMD -
      It'd be really cool if it had the same uniforms and stadiums from that year...but i know for sure it probably won't -_-
    1. JeffHCross's Avatar
      JeffHCross -
      Stadiums would be almost impossible, unless they weren't at all anal about it.

      Uniforms would be doable, if they wanted to and got the right permissions. That actually seems almost to the point of likely.
    1. jaymo76's Avatar
      jaymo76 -
      This is a mode that regardless of what it does will have no appeal for me. I am a lover of history and sports history but playing as a legend or recreating historical sporting moments doesn't do it for me. However, I can appreciate how this appeals to some. Right now this "legends" concept is being used by pretty much all sports games. I would prefer the time/hours go into other aspects of the game (like FCS).
    1. SmoothPancakes's Avatar
      SmoothPancakes -
      Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
      This is a mode that regardless of what it does will have no appeal for me. I am a lover of history and sports history but playing as a legend or recreating historical sporting moments doesn't do it for me. However, I can appreciate how this appeals to some. Right now this "legends" concept is being used by pretty much all sports games. I would prefer the time/hours go into other aspects of the game (like FCS).
      Amen! Now I did play the legends stuff in NBA 2K12, and I enjoyed it when I played it, but I haven't touched the legends modes/stuff since October when I played it the first time. It just doesn't really have any replay value for me. Once I beat it, that's it, not really much anything else to do in it. Same thing with the Madden Moments. I like playing the Madden moments and reliving some of the greatest moments of games that I've watched, but after I go through and beat the Madden Moments and complete them all on a given edition, that's it. I rarely, if ever, go back and play them again, it just becomes a "throw away mode" for me.

      So while they're nice modes, and are fun the first time playing them, after that it just sort of becomes a waste of space (at least for me it does) and makes me wish all the time spent on it would have been spent on something with more staying power, more replayability, etc, something that will benefit the game long-term, be it dynasty mode, online dynasty, gameplay, whatever.
    1. ram29jackson's Avatar
      ram29jackson -
      Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
      Would you say the same about NBA 2k12 and all the legends there? There are plenty of ways to make this interesting without being able to get them in Dynasty (plus, creating them in Dynasty is already easy enough -- you can simply Edit existing players)
      nah, i would expect pre-made players to have great but more realistic ratings..making them yourself more than likely would just be amping the attributes too much
    1. ram29jackson's Avatar
      ram29jackson -
      Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
      Amen! Now I did play the legends stuff in NBA 2K12, and I enjoyed it when I played it, but I haven't touched the legends modes/stuff since October when I played it the first time. It just doesn't really have any replay value for me. Once I beat it, that's it, not really much anything else to do in it. Same thing with the Madden Moments. I like playing the Madden moments and reliving some of the greatest moments of games that I've watched, but after I go through and beat the Madden Moments and complete them all on a given edition, that's it. I rarely, if ever, go back and play them again, it just becomes a "throw away mode" for me.

      So while they're nice modes, and are fun the first time playing them, after that it just sort of becomes a waste of space (at least for me it does) and makes me wish all the time spent on it would have been spent on something with more staying power, more replayability, etc, something that will benefit the game long-term, be it dynasty mode, online dynasty, gameplay, whatever.
      you can put the nba legends in a dynasty though and play with them indefinitely
    1. SmoothPancakes's Avatar
      SmoothPancakes -
      Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
      you can put the nba legends in a dynasty though and play with them indefinitely
      Yes, you can. But it still doesn't make the NBA legends mode any more replayable. After you've played those modes, unlocked the players, unlocked the teams, what motive is there to play the modes again? Take Road to Glory for instance. It's fun, but after a while, it just becomes "meh" and disappears off the list of game mode options behind Dynasty and Online Dynasty. While these fluff modes are fun for a little while, and probably do help in gain some casual games, ultimately, at least for the serious players, they just become extra space on the disc and extra words in the menus.
    1. ram29jackson's Avatar
      ram29jackson -
      Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
      Yes, you can. But it still doesn't make the NBA legends mode any more replayable. After you've played those modes, unlocked the players, unlocked the teams, what motive is there to play the modes again? Take Road to Glory for instance. It's fun, but after a while, it just becomes "meh" and disappears off the list of game mode options behind Dynasty and Online Dynasty. While these fluff modes are fun for a little while, and probably do help in gain some casual games, ultimately, at least for the serious players, they just become extra space on the disc and extra words in the menus.
      thats why I say you need to let the legends be used in other modes...in 2k nba i can use the legends alot, not just the one game mode..they need to have those teams and rosters available -period. Not just unlocked and limited... I got the game because of the idea of using magic and Bird..I could care less about Lebron etc
    1. SCClassof93's Avatar
      SCClassof93 -
      Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
      Amen! Now I did play the legends stuff in NBA 2K12, and I enjoyed it when I played it, but I haven't touched the legends modes/stuff since October when I played it the first time. It just doesn't really have any replay value for me. Once I beat it, that's it, not really much anything else to do in it. Same thing with the Madden Moments. I like playing the Madden moments and reliving some of the greatest moments of games that I've watched, but after I go through and beat the Madden Moments and complete them all on a given edition, that's it. I rarely, if ever, go back and play them again, it just becomes a "throw away mode" for me.

      So while they're nice modes, and are fun the first time playing them, after that it just sort of becomes a waste of space (at least for me it does) and makes me wish all the time spent on it would have been spent on something with more staying power, more replayability, etc, something that will benefit the game long-term, be it dynasty mode, online dynasty, gameplay, whatever.
      This +1
    1. Deuce's Avatar
      Deuce -
      I really couldn't care less about this mode but I will be tuning in. You never know if they'll drop some other info on us.


      Posted With Tapatalk
    1. tmac747's Avatar
      tmac747 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
      thats why I say you need to let the legends be used in other modes...in 2k nba i can use the legends alot, not just the one game mode..they need to have those teams and rosters available -period. Not just unlocked and limited... I got the game because of the idea of using magic and Bird..I could care less about Lebron etc
      everyone has their opinion about legends.personally i have used the legends in 2k12 in every way possible.currently i have a playoff format setup with prodominate legends teams that have been mixed and matched.example: i've taken the '86 celtics team and added russell,jones and cousy(created) to that squad, as well added tony parker and george gervin to the '98 spurs team. more than enough ways to utilize and enjoy these legendary pieces of history.i'm glad that 2k put these teams in keeps the game from becoming stale for me.
    1. souljahbill's Avatar
      souljahbill -
      The stream isn't working.

      Edit: Nevermind. It's tomorrow. I have the LiveStream app on my iPhone and it sent me an alert that EASports was broadcasting. In the background was the NCAA 13 "Heisman" Powerpoint slide so I kept retrying the stream but it never worked, for reasons that are now clear.
    1. souljahbill's Avatar
      souljahbill -
      Also, you guys are too good if passing is easy. I can't pass worth a damn.
    1. Rudy's Avatar
      Rudy -
      Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
      Also, you guys are too good if passing is easy. I can't pass worth a damn.
      Me too. I just hide in the corner when guys say they can call 4 verticals all day or cheeze their way to 500 yards passing. I wish I had those problems. I'd be a laughing stock if I recorded my passing game and posted it online lol.
    1. morsdraconis's Avatar
      morsdraconis -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      Me too. I just hide in the corner when guys say they can call 4 verticals all day or cheeze their way to 500 yards passing. I wish I had those problems. I'd be a laughing stock if I recorded my passing game and posted it online lol.
      I don't even need to call 4 verts, and, if I do, I NEVER run it as presented.

      Hell, I could throw nothing but slants and mesh all day without an issue. The CPU is dumb as shit against most mesh concepts because it likes to run too much cover 3, cover 4, and man because Cover 2 is a flaming piece of shit in this game. If they actually make Cover 2 work like REAL life, then it might be better, but I doubt they'll ever pull that off without making it impossible to throw the ball because they have guys that can stop on a dime and do things, unlike real life.
    1. gschwendt's Avatar
      gschwendt -
      Two images uploaded to NCAA's Facebook


    1. Deuce's Avatar
      Deuce -
      Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
      Also, you guys are too good if passing is easy. I can't pass worth a damn.



      Posted With Tapatalk