• NHL 16 Brings Living Worlds to Life with Arena Atmosphere

Following the reveal of Ignite Engine at E3 2013, fans have been looking and expecting more from the 'Living Worlds' in EA SPORTS titles. The NHL franchise has been a leader in this regard and expands it even more in NHL 16.

In their latest developer blog, the franchise discusses the addition and inclusion of "signature effects and props that are synonymous with arenas from around the league."

NHL producer Sean Ramjagsingh has been answering community questions on other arena details via Twitter. Continue on to see arena screens and Twitter answers from Rammer.

Let us know what team/arena details they perfected or that you hope to see added in the NHL franchise.

ANAHEIM DUCKS – HONDA CENTER

BOSTON BRUINS – TD GARDEN

COLORADO AVALANCHE – PEPSI CENTER

LOS ANGELES KINGS – STAPLES CENTER

DALLAS STARS – AMERICAN AIRLINES CENTER

EDMONTON OILERS – REXALL PLACE

NEW YORK ISLANDERS – BARCLAYS CENTER

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS -

BUFFALO SABRES – FIRST NIAGARA CENTER

COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS – NATIONWIDE ARENA

SAN JOSE SHARKS – SAP CENTER AT SAN JOSE

WINNIPEG JETS – MTS CENTRE

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING – AMALIE ARENA

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS – CONSOL ENERGY CENTER

NASHVILLE PREDATORS – BRIDGESTONE ARENA

CAROLINA HURRICANES – PNC ARENA

MINNESOTA WILD - XCEL ENERGY CENTER

DETROIT RED WINGS - JOE LOUIS ARENA

CALGARY FLAMES - SCOTIABANK SADDLEDOME

WASHINGTON CAPITALS - VERIZON CENTER

This article was originally published in forum thread: NHL 16 Brings Living Worlds to to Life with Arena Atmosphere started by cdj View original post
    Comments 12 Comments
      jaymo76 -
      I appreciate the gesture. I really do... but I remain highly sceptical. A few cut scenes of an Octopus or flames shooting out does not make a living world. If the crowd looks the same and sways in the same motion, lack emotion or connection to the events going on, it's not a living world, it's a generic crowd with a dynamic cut scene.

Older gen titles (especially 2k) mastered that the action occurs both on and off the field/ice/court, etc. I will wait to see vodeos before I judge but the sound, movement and animation of the crowd are all essential pieces to "living worlds."
      Jayrah -
      Wow this is pretty cool. I'm hoping that Madden really goes this direction with 17. The towels and stuff is a good first step but looks like NHL is making every arena unique. It's good to see this start to make the rounds as it's everything I expected (we were promised) coming into the new gen.
      Jayrah -
      Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
      I appreciate the gesture. I really do... but I remain highly sceptical. A few cut scenes of an Octopus or flames shooting out does not make a living world. If the crowd looks the same and sways in the same motion, lack emotion or connection to the events going on, it's not a living world, it's a generic crowd with a dynamic cut scene.

Older gen titles (especially 2k) mastered that the action occurs both on and off the field/ice/court, etc. I will wait to see vodeos before I judge but the sound, movement and animation of the crowd are all essential pieces to "living worlds."
      Hasn't NHL been pretty good about crowd emotion and such though? Haven't played it since NHL 11 on the 360 but it always seemed like NHL was a step ahead on the dynamic crowd stuff.
      cdj -
      First post/article now updated with Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Carolina, and Nashville.
      steelerfan -
      Let's Go Pens!
      cdj -
      Added images for Buffalo, Columbus, San Jose, and Winnipeg.
      JeffHCross -
      This feels a lot like the year NCAA added the mascots taking the field ... and they made a huge deal about it, but it was just a cutscene that lasted 30 seconds or so (and most people skipped).
      cdj -
      Dallas, Edmonton, Toronto, NY Islanders added to first post.
      jaymo76 -
      Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
      This feels a lot like the year NCAA added the mascots taking the field ... and they made a huge deal about it, but it was just a cutscene that lasted 30 seconds or so (and most people skipped).
      Agreed! Plus let's not forget the whol marching bands fiasco...
      Hank -
      I like how they're adding all these nuances to the game to really suck the gamer into the atmosphere.
      But they dropped the ball when they failed to program the game to display how many goals a player has scored in a season during GM mode.

That's the kind of stuff that really immerses players into the game.
      jaymo76 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
      I like how they're adding all these nuances to the game to really suck the gamer into the atmosphere.
      But they dropped the ball when they failed to program the game to display how many goals a player has scored in a season during GM mode.

That's the kind of stuff that really immerses players into the game.
      One of the things that I loved about 2k hockey was it's level of immersion. That and the chemistry feature made their games so much fun. EA NHL is a fun game but again like all titles other than FIFA, it is such an isolating experience. The atmosphere never makes you feel like you are a part of something bigger than the individual game.
      cdj -
      First post updated with Anaheim, Boston, Colorado, and LA Kings.