Quote Originally Posted by gigemaggs99 View Post
Next ? I guess it should go here since it's the Nickel formations in the 3-3-5 pb. There are package subs where you can put your SS or FS in as the "Nickel" player. What is the nickel player, I see where he is on the formation, my question is what is his purpose and who would be best put in this spot? It seems the 'normal' formation has the 3rd string CB as the Nickel back. Is there a more advantageous player for this spot?
In the game, it's essentially just a matter of putting the best personnel you have on the field for that situation. If you're in a passing situation and your Nickel back is a better cover guy than your SS2, then you might just stick with the default in the Nickel whereas if you want to give a coverage look like the 3-3-5 Nickel but want to blitz, you might put your SS into the Nickel spot and then let him either blitz or play run coverage in place of your blitzing LBs.
Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
Good points G, though I feel like (to an extent) those schematic differences are a factor in real-life that doesn't apply to the game, because of near-psychic protection and things like that. Still good points though. And dropping 8 doesn't do much good if you don't trust zone coverage (which I don't right now).
You're right, due to the psychic blocking, the OL will pick up a lot of blitzes no matter where they come from. However, with overload blitzes, or even SS blitzes, the OL can't always block everyone. For example, with just a simple SS blitz, the OT might pick up the DE in front of him leaving the G to try to pick up the SS. If the SS stays wide enough, then the chance of that G getting there is slim.

One reason I struggle with the 3-3-5 is that I'm not very good at changing it up and running exotic blitzes or plays. So part of the upside of the 3-3-5 is eliminated by my own coaching.
Yeah, you definitely have to be a gambler to run the 3-3-5 to make it effective. However, it's like playing roulette... you may not win every time but when you do, you get paid off big.