Couple other things I wanted to mention.

Use all the tools at your disposal.

On offense
  • use hot routes to change that route that seems to never get thrown to or completed or runs short of the 1st down marker
  • hot block your RBs and TEs if you want some extra protection
  • slant your OL to either side or in or out depending on where you are running
  • use your gameplanning stuff to have your receivers come back to the ball at the end of their routes or secure the catch for those WRs with not so great hands or have that fumbling HB take better care of the ball, I almost never use anything aggressive on offense

On defense
  • I like to move my DL and LBs around according to their assignment and moving them around can make for better angles to cover or rush the passer as well
  • another thing I like to do is shade my safeties from time to time, you can shade them inside, outside or to either side
  • and again use your gameplanning stuff here as well, I use some of this stuff but not all, for instance I find the ability to create fumbles a little easy when you turn things to aggressive so I only do that if I'm in desperate need of a turnover, most of the time I like to make sure my guys secure tackles and don't allow extra yardage so i have them on conservative, you can also use this stuff to help stop the scrambling QBs if those are killing you

So there you go just some more stuff I thought about that might help.