So, after losing my PS3 to an YLOD, I have determined that I need a way to keep such components cool(er). I have a TV stand/entertainment center, but it's wood (probably fake wood) with a solid back. No airflow to be found there. Until last week, my PS3 had been sitting flat on my carpet, where there is a lot of airflow but probably lackluster heat dissipation.

I've been looking at Audio Racks/Towers, thinking they'd be a good place to start. In all likelihood, over time I'd want to store a PS3 (or two), maybe another console, a HTPC (if I ever build one) and a DVR. So 3-5 shelves should cover my needs.

The main question I'm running into is material. I've read that metal is absolutely terrible for systems like the 360 or PS3 because, while the heat is spread away, the metal is still coming in contact with the system so it's not actually helping to dissipate. Glass seems to be the most common material for Audio Towers, but I don't know if that necessarily means it's best.

Thoughts? Help?

For the purposes of this discussion, money is not an issue. I'm looking for advice for a general plan, not specific purchases.