Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The problems with EA’s (Spot Dropping) zone coverage explained

• Facebook
  • Display
    I can see the double push method as an good option. I like the idea that it would generate a look to the side of the field based on an actual route as opposed having to find the right part of the field on your own. A couple thoughts/questions based on examples I can think of:

1) You would have to have some method to 'register' the first button mash, like the view of the field changes. Otherwise how would you know it you are good for the second push that would need specific pressure and time. As stupid as it sounds, buttons get inadvertently missed from time to time and it would be very helpful it was clearly registered.

2) A couple of examples:
    a) you have 2 streaks against cover 1 man and want to look a safety off. You push the far right button, wait, then you push the left button to look and then again to pass. I am guessing your view of the change would match the buttons. No real issues there, not that big of an adjustment other than timing. How long does it take? How long before you are able to change from one to another? I would guess this would depend on the QB awr and the effectiveness is based on the safety AWR?
    b) You run a quick slants play (multiple slants and arrows) against any number of defenses. You have to make the choice and throw the ball generally within a second and just using one button you have a small window. In the double push method, you have to pick a reciever, make sure the first button takes, then hit it again hard. I think you are fine as long as you picked the right guy presnap. Unless you have a complete badass with high AWR that could change targets quickly, you would not have much time to read the defense once the ball is snapped.Could be fair depending on how smooth it worked.
    c) On screens you would need to look down the field first and then come back to the rb/wr. Depending on the screens, sometimes you don't have much time as it is. I would think they would need to work on the timing a bit.
    d) Would it affect draws? Would you want the same affect (QB looking down field) when playing someone online so that it actually works like a draw? Maybe they can build in a look to a random WR automatically?

3) What about a bonus for targets that are close? If you are looking at the arrow under the curl to draw up the cover 2 the change over to the curl/stop 10 yards up the field would be a pretty quick change for any qb I am thinking? Furthermore would it be worth it to consider not needing the double touch for WR close enough together (ie the slants play)? Ultimately the footwork wouldn't have to change drastically.

3a) Alternatively, if you see they roll the coverage to the wide side and the arrow/stop you are looking at, I assume it takes longer for the QB to turn all the way around and the short flat or wherever else you may look. Ultimately, it should take too long as that is really a 3step kind of play that the blocking shouldn't hold up for.

4) Agree with the player above that there should be consideration for players on the run or rushed. However, there has to be some severe penalties for throwing across the body, otherwise it would be complete cheesefest. Maybe if the WR isn't in the general direction of the front of the QB, the throw floats and is likely picked (ala brett favre screwing up the plans for minnessota in suberbowl special). If there is no penalty, then all you have to do is sprint out to save the need to hit 2 buttons

Ultimately I think it is a good potential solution and would achieve the desired affects. What if you tweaked it a bit that 2 buttons had to be only in every situation. IE if you want to throw to the hook, you have to hit the hook button twice. However, if you want to throw to the hook after looking at the arrow, you hit the arrow button and then the hook button. The amount of lookoff and and the accuracy of the throw would depend on the QB sklllset.

As for the button registering I am sure there could be something like the passing icon over the reciever starts flashing or something along those lines.

Looking off recievers would all be based upon QB awareness...I imagine that it would work much like the passing cone did in that the higher the awareness the greater field of vision the quarterback would have (although this wouldn't be visually represented on the field). This would also mean the greater the awareness the faster the quarterback could scan the field. Obviously looking from one side of the field to the other would take the longest.

To use your example of the curl/flat combo, lets say the quarterback has good awareness so as he drops back you see the coverage rotating to the field side to you look to the boundry side wide reciever running the curl, the linebacker in curl/flat coverage gains depth to cover the curl, now because of the good awareness the flat would still be in his field of vision so you hold down the button for the flat, the ball is thrown and completed to the flat to a wide open reciever.

In the UNC playbook there in Ace-Slot there is a play called Shakes where both recievers release in a stack concept running straight down the field at the safety, as the quarterback drops back you focus on the lead reciever that is running a post, as the reciever breaks inside on the post the safety follows to the inside, the trail reciever is running a corner route so once the safety cheats to the inside you see it and throw to the trail reciever on the corner route.

I could go on for awhile in how well this would help make passing more realistic, however with that being said to not make it over powered for those of us that know how to manipulate coverage EA would need to expand the defensive playbooks to balance it out.

I think it is a fun solution that could add quite a bit to the game. I definitely agree that the defense needs adjustment as well - maybe the cover short/med/deep concept as i mentioned above. In that case, the user on offense could turn off the double hit concept and there would still be some sort of matchup route and combo effect to the zone. I am guessing the idea that it can be turned off will be key for EA to accept it, because they obviously believe the offense needs to be kept simple for the non-sim players (and i can understand that).
    Last edited by mundo; 10-06-2010 at 12:50 PM.

On another note, has anyone noticed that CPU defenders matchup better in zone on the heisman level? Its not perfect, but the play is far better than any user defenders. Obviously the ideas are in there somewhere