Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fight Night Champion

• Facebook
  • Display

Fight Night Champion

I thought there was already a thread on this, but I'm not sure boxing games have the appeal they once did.

This is the next edition of the Fight Night franchise. Here's all that EA has on it:

Fight Night Champion will break the mold of what is expected in a single-player sports game. Players will be introduced to an entirely new way to step between the ropes and experience the drama, emotion, excitement and tragedy of world championship boxing.

Featuring a refined physics-based animation system that incorporates improved locomotion, punching and stamina mechanics, Fight Night Champion will enable users to move, attack and dodge with the speed and power of the best champions, contenders and pretenders in the world of boxing. In addition, an all-new control scheme, dubbed Full Spectrum Punch Control, will deliver the most realistic punching system ever seen in a simulation fighting game, while still delivering an accessible experience that will make Fight Night Champion the most user-friendly title in the franchise’s history.

Fight Night Champion will set a new standard for visual presentation with the most realistic boxer-likeness to date, fluid animations and damage that truly conveys the brutality of the sport of boxing.

Eurogamer interviewed gameplay producer Brian Hayes and he says the game will feature something very unique - but can't say what it is yet:

"How groundbreaking is it in relation to Fight Night? It's certainly the most innovative, groundbreaking thing that any Fight Night game or any Knock Out game has done," he told Eurogamer in an interview published today. "Even more so, in terms of EA Sports, this approach to a single-player experience is just something that no other EA Sports game has done."

"It's something that could work in a lot of other sports areas," he added. "It works particularly well for us because of the nature of boxing, but it's definitely something you could see other games doing down the road. If that happened that would be a pretty cool thing."

Despite his unflappable belief, Hayes won't say exactly what the mode will be. Nevertheless, Eurogamer whittled him down; we know this will be a solo pursuit and its own standalone mode, separate to the returning single-player Legacy mode.

"All I can say to that effect is everybody here is really excited about what we're doing," Hayes continued. "Everybody here is on the same page in terms of like, 'Wow, we've never really done anything like this before.' At the same time, as much as they're excited about it, there's a wee bit of nerves. Everybody's working really hard to make sure we're knocking it out of the park.

The comments on the article are pretty humorous.

Some screens are available here.

I know to me boxing games don't really have any appeal to me anymore. I got Fight Night Round 3 for PS2, but that was about it in terms of boxing and stuff. Fight Night, UFC, etc just has never held much interest for me in gaming.

Boxing was one of the first sports I got a game for on Sega, and it was a blast. Haven't enjoyed it as much since. I can't wait to see what they do with the single-player, since they're touting it as something you "wouldn't expect from EA Sports". I think sports teams need to really start thinking outside the box, so I approve.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Courtesy OS - Click Link for full story

This week the FIGHT NIGHT CHAMPION development team will be hosting a community feedback session bringing in seven hardcore gamers to get their hands-on an early version of the game. With the game slated for release in 2011, the team is hard at work implementing new features and this session will allow them to get some first hand feedback from guys representing a range of boxing gamers in the community.

As with previous feedback sessions, there will be information embargoes on main features in the game however the invites will get a chance to see the entire game and, in time, will be able to provide their own game and feature impressions. Following the session, however, they will be given the opportunity to share info on their visit along with their overall impressions of the game along with a couple new screenshots to share. Look for those next week.

A trailer for the game will be released tomorrow.

From the little I read from the Community Event attendees, it sounds like Career Mode has improved a lot in this one.

Last edited by cdj; 11-11-2010 at 10:10 PM.

From pastapadre:

Fight Night Champion will be the first ever “Rated M” title developed by EA Sports. That explicit nature and brutality will be represented not just through bloody fights but also with what is being described as mature content found in the “lifestyle and culture of boxing”. This news could be encouraging or worrisome depending on how it’s looked at.

The game will also include improved punch controls and one-punch knockouts, physics-based gameplay, and expanded online play modes. Continue on for an early list of features but given that the game is still a ways out from release without an official date (Jan-Mar) there is still much in the way of details to come on the game and its feature set.

Full Spectrum Punch Control
    Control your boxer’s punches with precision and accuracy like never before with a new synergy of gameplay controls. From overhand punches to strategic counter jabs and one-punch knockouts, overwhelm your opponents with your refined skill set.

Physics-Based Gameplay
    Move around the ring and time your attacks with precision. Building off the best-in-class gameplay engine featured in Fight Night Round 4, you now have an even wider range of abilities when it comes to counterattacks, setting up combos, and attacking your opponent.

Legacy Mode
    Create your alter ego and put him in the ring against past champions. Work your way up the ranks through training and scheduled bouts, and establish your name as the fighter to beat. Take your boxer online and see how you size up against the best in the world competing for local or worldwide belts in the all-new Fight Night Nation.

Online Gyms
    Create an online gym with your friends and battle it out to see who’s the ultimate champion, or turn boxing into a team sport and challenge other gyms in Rival Matches to unlock items, win trophies, and more.

Authentic Content
    As the first-ever ‘M’ rated EA SPORTS title, Fight Night Champion showcases the truest graphical representation of the sport, lifestyle, and culture of boxing with authentic and dynamic blood, realistic body damage and deformation, and mature content throughout. Experience the violence and brutality that is true to the trade.

Well, I'd guess that "truest graphical representation of the sport, lifestyle, and culture" is what they meant by "something you wouldn't expect from EA Sports". This definitely has my attention. An engrossing career mode has been missing from the titles I play for a while.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Wow. I don't even care for boxing games and this game sounds pretty interesting.

I got Fight Night Round 4 and didn't play it much after the initial surge of playing.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    Fight Night Champion will be the first ever “Rated M” title developed by EA Sports. That explicit nature and brutality will be represented not just through bloody fights but also with what is being described as mature content found in the “lifestyle and culture of boxing”. This news could be encouraging or worrisome depending on how it’s looked at.
    Wow this is shocking. Movies/Games are always trying to get the "lowest rating" to get the widest possible audience.

I.e. Saw movies have routinely been initially rated NC17 after the initial review which of course makes the movie maker to take stuff out to get the R rating.

Surprised EA went with this move.

IF I were an EA shareholder I would be scratching my head on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Wow this is shocking. Movies/Games are always trying to get the "lowest rating" to get the widest possible audience.

I.e. Saw movies have routinely been initially rated NC17 after the initial review which of course makes the movie maker to take stuff out to get the R rating.

Surprised EA went with this move.

IF I were an EA shareholder I would be scratching my head on this one.
    I don't think it's a head scratching move. Fallout is rated M, it's sold a million on week one. Look at all the Grand Theft Autos. It could be a good gamble.

That, combined with the fact that their target audience is of age and those that are underage will still find a way to get the game.

Yeah, there's a big difference between a Rated M game and an NC17 movie. Rated M = Rated R. Plenty of movies are fine with being Rated R.

Plus, just the rating itself is going to generate some discussion since it's EA Sports first Rated M game.

'Fight Night Champion': To the penitentiary and beyond

"When I heard "Fight Night Champion" was going to be EA Sports' first M-rated video game, I figured they were just going to play up the blood and gore factor of the sport.

What I didn't expect was the game to start out in prison.

That's right, prison (and it has nothing to do with Mike Tyson being in the game).

But when I sat down to view a clip of the new Champion story mode last week at an EA media event, that's exactly where I found the game's lead character. There he was, boxing in prison, hands wrapped but no gloves, ring surrounded by other prisoners cheering and shouting (no visible shanking), while dressed in their orange jumpers.

Then between rounds, it didn't take long for my cut-man in the corner to drop F-bomb after F-bomb, even referring to my white opponent as a "cracker."

Not what I expected at all.

"Essentially what we wanted to do with Champion mode necessitated this being an M-rated game," explains producer Brian Hayes. "It's a story with mature themes. Not topless mature themes, but it's gritty. Being an unlicensed sports product and being in the world of boxing where there is a lot of stuff going on ... if you're going to tell a story about boxing, it's not going to be, 'Hey, I just got an e-mail from your rival and he's really upset.' There are a lot of fighters who we drew inspiration from, and they've been through some real mature experiences. So we laid out our vision for Champion mode and we said, if we do this, there's no way this can be T."

Full story here

I'm just glad to see them be willing to give an M-rated boxing game a try. They're going to get a ton of attention because of it, but I also love it when designers take chances.

The cover has been revealed:

I'm honestly surprised that Ali and his estate would want to be associated, at least on the cover, with an M-rated game.

Some more details:

Now, EA says the game, debuting March 1, will also be the first EA Sports title to feature a single-player, story driven campaign.

Champion Mode will feature boxer Andre Bishop as he moves up the professional boxing ranks. The tale is being written by Will Rokos, who penned the 2001 film Monster's Ball.

I hope EA is smart enough to allow you to customize the appearance of your Champion Mode boxer. But since his name seems to be set in stone, I'm a little nervous about that. Not being able to identify with the main character can kill single player modes.