Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2013 Week 2

• Facebook
  • Display
    There's the Utah State I know. A 52-20 smackdown of Air Force today gets Utah State in the win column.

And I love watching Navy run the triple option. The run just now, on third and 2 against Indiana, was flawless and beautifully run.

Ugh, these Big Ten Network announcers suck. Navy gets the first down after going for it on fourth and two. It's obvious in the real time play and in replay. The announcers are sitting there going on about no, he didn't get it, Indiana will get the ball back, Indiana this, Indiana that. Refs measure it, it's a first down by the entire length of the ball. Yeah, he really didn't get it, pinheads. I understand it's Big Ten Network, and the game is in Indiana, but try to at least have even a slight bit of neutrality morons.

Repeat of last week?

End 3rd quarter - Cal 37, Portland State 30

Early 3rd quarter - Akron 14, James Madison 13

Halftime - Richmond 21, NC State 13

Final - Maine 24, Massachusetts 14'

Final - Chattanooga 42, Georgia State 14

Purdue only beats Indiana State 20-14

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Ugh, these Big Ten Network announcers suck. Navy gets the first down after going for it on fourth and two. It's obvious in the real time play and in replay. The announcers are sitting there going on about no, he didn't get it, Indiana will get the ball back, Indiana this, Indiana that. Refs measure it, it's a first down by the entire length of the ball. Yeah, he really didn't get it, pinheads. I understand it's Big Ten Network, and the game is in Indiana, but try to at least have even a slight bit of neutrality morons.
    I think BTN goes with locals to placate each fan base (in non-conference games) since they are likely regular watchers. Last week's NU-WYO game had Kevin Kugler (from NE) with Eric Crouch & Damon Benning (former Huskers). Tonight had a former Iowa QB with Crouch & Benning.

Is this strictly a decision by the refs or does this mean that Auburn (or the NCAA) didn't sign off on the unis?

And I love watching Navy run the triple option. The run just now, on third and 2 against Indiana, was flawless and beautifully run.
    I'm glad Navy won. In B1G country, there's been talk the last two years about how Indiana is going to be so improved and might make a bowl. I don't know why that hype exists, but it's clear they are a couple years away from that.

BYU beating #15 Texas 10-7, but they just tossed an INT. Early 2nd quarter.

It was tough, but Navy beats Indiana 41-35. Utah State thumps Air Force 52-20. Tulsa has their hands full at the moment, trailing Colorado State 20-17 in the third quarter. And Florida International got bitchslapped by Storm Johnson and UCF last night.

On the FCS side of things.

Chattanooga knocks off Georgia State 42-14.

Maine knocks off Massachusetts 24-14.

Purdue survives Indiana State 20-14.

Cal survives Portland State 37-30.

Central Michigan survives New Hampshire 24-21.

Akron escapes James Madison 35-33.

NC State escapes Richmond 23-21.

Montana State is beating SMU 22-19 in the 2nd quarter.

Colorado and Central Arkansas are tied 14-14 at halftime.

Louisiana Tech only leads Lamar 17-14 in the fourth quarter.

Arkansas only leads Samford 24-21 in the fourth quarter.

Western Michigan leads Nicholls State 23-21 in the fourth quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    I think BTN goes with locals to placate each fan base (in non-conference games) since they are likely regular watchers. Last week's NU-WYO game had Kevin Kugler (from NE) with Eric Crouch & Damon Benning (former Huskers). Tonight had a former Iowa QB with Crouch & Benning.
    Alright, that would make sense then. They were definitely pro-Indiana announcers. It was just sort of irritating them pretty much rooting for Indiana on the broadcast. That fourth down play especially sort of rubbed me the wrong way. It was clearly obvious, in the real time play and then again in replay, that the Navy player got a first down, but they're sitting there yelling no, he didn't get it, it's gonna be Indiana's ball, etc. It was like having an Indiana homer sitting there on my couch.

Otherwise, they weren't too bad. They did a pretty good job when not blatantly rooting for Indiana. Just prefer the purely neutral announcers.

I'm glad Navy won. In B1G country, there's been talk the last two years about how Indiana is going to be so improved and might make a bowl. I don't know why that hype exists, but it's clear they are a couple years away from that.

BYU beating #15 Texas 10-7, but they just tossed an INT. Early 2nd quarter.
    Yeah, I've been hearing that same talk. Sitting here smack dab in the middle between Indiana, Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State, there has been loads of talk about Indiana supposedly being an improved team, between being a bowl bound team, and one that supposedly could be challenging for a Big Ten title in the next year or two. Unfortunately, I've seen nothing over the past years to suggest that. Until then, this is Ohio State's, Michigan's, Nebraska's and Wisconsin's league. Everyone else is just playing to avoid last place.

Now Indiana does have an offense. Put up 35 points against Navy, made a strong fourth quarter comeback, and if it hadn't been for Navy converting on fourth and two with 2 minutes and change left, Indiana would have gotten the ball back with a chance to win. So they are improved in areas. But overall, I don't see them doing all that much.

I honestly don't know how they'll fare against Bowling Green next week. The Falcons are a much improved team this year, based on their manhandling on Tulsa last week and Kent State today. I would not be surprised to see Bowling Green win next week. I'd give the edge to Missouri, and even Penn State. Michigan's a loss, Michigan State also. Minnesota and Illinois could be wins. Wisconsin and Ohio State both losses. Purdue could be a win.

So at best, I could see them maybe winning 5 games this year. They would have to beat all of Illinois, Minnesota and Purdue, and then beat one of either Bowling Green or Missouri just to realistically reach 6 wins.

is eminem stoned?

Damn. With 45 seconds left in the game, A Tulsa player went down on a play. The replay they should, it's definitely a broken leg, the way his leg twisted and almost bent. Two medical carts and paramedics came out, have his left leg wrapped up, and ultimately had to bring out the entire ambulance onto the field as opposed to taking him off the field on their medical cart. 45 seconds left in the damn game, you never want to see that. You never want to see an injury altogether, but one with 45 seconds left in the game, that's rough.

Ok, the NCAA needs to change the rules regarding timeouts. Colorado State is trying to freeze the kicker as Tulsa tries a game winning field goal attempt. That's fine, the three straight fucking timeouts trying to freeze the kicker? JUST GET ON THE WITH FUCKING GAME! They should make it illegal to call more than one timeout at a time. This is just fucking stupid. It's been over three minutes now waiting for a goddamn kick with three seconds left on the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by baseballplyrmvp View Post
    is eminem stoned?

Kirk's reaction the entire time is priceless. I love how Brent felt this was the proper place to work in a reference to point spreads.

Ok, the NCAA needs to change the rules regarding timeouts. Colorado State is trying to freeze the kicker as Tulsa tries a game winning field goal attempt. That's fine, the three straight fucking timeouts trying to freeze the kicker? JUST GET ON THE WITH FUCKING GAME! They should make it illegal to call more than one timeout at a time. This is just fucking stupid. It's been over three minutes now waiting for a goddamn kick with three seconds left on the clock.
    I thought it was against the rules for a team to call consecutive timeouts unless the other team calls one? I could be wrong or maybe the refs do not know the rules.

I thought it was against the rules for a team to call consecutive timeouts unless the other team calls one? I could be wrong or maybe the refs do not know the rules.
    If it is, the refs didn't know it. Tulsa called their last timeout with three seconds left to set up for the field goal. Colorado State proceeded to call three straight timeouts trying to freeze Tulsa's kicker. Tulsa ultimately got the last laugh, as Colorado State jumped offsides on the first actual kick attempt, and the Tulsa kicked the field goal for 30-27 win. But either the NCAA needs to make that a rule, or if it is a rule, the refs need to learn the rule book better, because that was getting ridiculous there.

Thank you Blake Bell for taking over at QB, should have been the starter to begin with. Ugly game but it is a win.

BYU is just smacking Texas in the nose. 34-14
    If Michigan would stop passing to ND in their end zone for TD's this could be a great night.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 09-07-2013 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCClassof93 View Post
    I imagine you are completely plastered at this point in the night. SCAR loss and Clemson win.

Ok, turns out it is legal in the NCAA, NFL's the only one with that rule. I sent Mike Pereira a tweet asking about it.

Stat of the day/month/year/decade/etc

BYU Rushing yards (Still 9 minutes in the game)

65 attempts 534 yards 8.2 average

Upsets and close calls of the day.

Chattanooga knocks off Georgia State 42-14.

Maine knocks off Massachusetts 24-14.

Nicholls State upsets Western Michigan 27-23.

Purdue survives Indiana State 20-14.

Cal survives Portland State 37-30.

Central Michigan survives New Hampshire 24-21.

Akron escapes James Madison 35-33.

NC State escapes Richmond 23-21.

Arkansas holds on against Samford 32-21.

SMU barely gets past Montana State 31-30.

Colorado has to score 21 points in the fourth quarter to beat Central Arkansas 38-24.

So only three upsets by FCS teams this week, but still a lot of close games by FCS teams.