Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CPU Play Calling Logic

• Facebook
  • Display

CPU Play Calling Logic

So... I just finished an OD game. I was Kent State and I got throttled by Penn State (which I expected and wanted).

The MAJOR problem I had with the game was the CPU did the following in the 4TH QUARTER leading by 48+ points:

1. Went for it on 2 4th Downs (converted both)

2. Threw 14 PASSES (only 5 runs)

3. Repeatedly blitzed the living hell out of me with BNR coveraged.

If that had been a HUM opponent in many leagues they would have been removed for running it up. LOL If that had been a HUM doing that they would have lost "precious" Season Showdown Sportsmanship Points. This game is solid in many aspects but CPU play calling isn't one of them IMO.

Overall, I think the CPU Play Calling Logic is very good in this year's title, or at least above average.

However, I agree with CLW that the 4th quarter / late-game playcalling is horrendous. The CPU needs to be able to recognize when a game is out of hand and either run clock (if leading) or not try a miraculous comeback down 36 with :30 to go.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

I agree with both of you. Generally speaking, playcalling not bad overall but you do notice it late in games.

Very nice layout of the issue, CLW. I haven't seen them go for it on 4th down much - but that is pretty insulting in a game you are trailing big.

Strangely, I had a game recently when the CPU was down by a huge margin, and I noticed two things. One, my starters mysteriously disappeared, and I didn't pick Mass Subs. At least I don't recall doing so. It was almost like the CPU had switched on Mass Subs for ... but they didn't sub out their own starters.

The second thing was that the CPU wasn't in "comeback" mode. They were actually letting the clock run and had given up. Combine that with CLW's seeing them go for 2 4th downs when up 48, and I'm totally confused.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    The second thing was that the CPU wasn't in "comeback" mode. They were actually letting the clock run and had given up.
    I've had this happen a few times where I'd think they'd go for it and they punt, and they rush down 24 rather than try to get a quick score in the early 4th.

I won a game against Nebraska because they tried to score a TD with 10 seconds left on my 2 yard line and threw a pick. The game was tied. Just run to the middle and kick the FG.

I really wish some teams would just have the option removed from their playbook. I don't see slow footed QB options that often but it still happens too much. McElroy ran the option twice against me in the BCS game.

While I agree that teams that don't run the option should rarely, if ever, call it ... I wouldn't agree with removing it totally from their playbooks.

After all ... Ohio State / Michigan, 2002.

I think the CPU's play calling is comical at times. I look for mostly one play when I play them and thats the HB screen that they will run numerous times, so much I usually intercept it or force a sack because I manually cover the HB.

No matter the team, they constantly have been running this the past 3 versions.

Anybody else always get a screen to the left on 3rd down?

EDIT: lol didn't read the post above me.

I get screens a lot too and cover them. I've taken up playing SS on Heisman since my computer friends can't figure out how to stop the deep pass. So I also cover the screen. And apparently I stop the run and do just about everything on the field. It's like a one man defense out there.

I will say, Tech put up a slight fight on Heisman. They did break some nice runs, but for the most part I shut them down and it has been that way every year... spread teams don't play very well. Though Tech's option play wasn't too bad, they seemed to go up the middle when necessary, break outside when open... QB had an 85 yard run called back on clipping, but this is the first year so they're still geared to run this type of offense with a speedy QB, etc.

The under two min fourth quarter passing when the cpu has the lead is very frustrating. Also, I don't seem to see the cpu use chew the clock as much this year as in 10.

It's amazing at how different some games can be. For me, I don't see a lot of screens at all, at least half back screens. Maybe it has been the teams I have been playing against, but screens haven't been too frequent.

As I Penn State fan, I want to apologize to CLW for this shameful act of degradation. This is a result of the polls/bowl affiliations screwing the Lions out of the 1994 MNC. Sorry. :rolleyes:

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    As I Penn State fan, I want to apologize to CLW for this shameful act of degradation. This is a result of the polls/bowl affiliations screwing the Lions out of the 1994 MNC. Sorry. :rolleyes:

I'm sure 94 had nothing to do with it. JoePa is getting senile and probably thought the game had just started.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerBlitz View Post
    It's amazing at how different some games can be. For me, I don't see a lot of screens at all, at least half back screens. Maybe it has been the teams I have been playing against, but screens haven't been too frequent.
    I'm the same way. I rarely see them throw HB screens now. I saw them A LOT with the default sliders, but, for whatever reason, with the sliders I use now, they are rarely throwing HB screens.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    The under two min fourth quarter passing when the cpu has the lead is very frustrating. Also, I don't seem to see the cpu use chew the clock as much this year as in 10.
    IIRC, the CPU doesn't start doing it until under 2 minutes left in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerBlitz View Post
    I'm sure 94 had nothing to do with it. JoePa is getting senile and probably thought the game had just started.
    Can't completely argue, but JoePa isn't calling the shots either.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    I'm the same way. I rarely see them throw HB screens now. I saw them A LOT with the default sliders, but, for whatever reason, with the sliders I use now, they are rarely throwing HB screens.
    Me too. I have no idea why but I have many games where the cpu throws 0 screens. I rarely see them right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Me too. I have no idea why but I have many games where the cpu throws 0 screens. I rarely see them right now.
    Do you play Man alot? Do you blitz much?

Well I have been getting them alot on every version, regardless of if I have been blitzing alot or not. They seem to turn to it when nothing else is working or they have a 3rd and long. This year in the Powerhouse OD, Boise State ran 3-4, one of them being when they were backed up on the 2-yd line. Needless to say I manually had it covered and it would have been a int TD in the endzone had he passed it, so we forced the safety.

I just played Duke a few days ago in the dynasty and they ran 4 HB screens.