Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 College Basketball Discussion Thread

• Facebook
  • Display
    Fuck. The highlighter, "I want to gouge my eyes out", Baylor uniforms are back.

Looks like I am skipping every Baylor game in the tournament this year. I'm not suffering through and watching that shit again for a second year in a row.

and i thought would ALWAYS have the ugliest uniforms in sports. I was WRONG!

The Big East's seven departing Catholic schools are expected to start their own league next season and will keep the Big East Conference name, sources told ESPN's Brett McMurphy, Andy Katz and Dana O'Neil.

Joining the Catholic 7 schools -- DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall, and Villanova -- in the new "Big East" this fall will be Xavier and Butler, sources said.

Creighton has emerged as the favorite to become the 10th team, and would also join next season, according to sources.

Xavier and Butler have not formally withdrawn from the Atlantic 10. To exit the A-10 with less than a year's notice would cost each school $2 million, Katz reported.

The Catholic 7's exit from the Big East is being expedited by Fox Sports Network. The network initially contacted the seven schools and laid the groundwork for them to leave the Big East with the promise of a lucrative media-rights deal, a source said.

Fox Sports Network is expected to announce the addition of the Catholic 7/Big East basketball league Tuesday in New York as part of the network's news conference announcing the addition of Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2 channels.

Fox Sports Network's deal with the Catholic 7 is expected to be worth at least $3 million annually per school, sources said.

It's unknown how much it will cost the Catholic 7 to keep the Big East name.

The departure of the Catholic 7 schools, which would officially begin their new league on July 1, also could mean Notre Dame joins the ACC this summer instead of 2014.

Sources said Notre Dame has planned on remaining in the Big East for the 2013-14 academic year as long as the Catholic 7 schools did so. However, if those schools left before then, the Fighting Irish would also look to join the ACC this summer.

If unable to join the ACC in 2013-14, the Fighting Irish would consider spending one season in the Catholic 7 league before moving to the ACC in 2014, a source said.

It's unknown if the ACC could still add Notre Dame in 2013-14. However, Louisville, which also is leaving the Big East for the ACC, must wait until 2014 because it would disrupt the ACC's football divisions and schedules, a source said. Rutgers also would not leave the Big East for the Big Ten until 2014.

Last year, Notre Dame announced it was leaving the Big East to join the ACC in all sports, but football. Big East bylaws require 27 months notice before leaving, but multiple schools have negotiated an earlier exit. In the past two years, 16 schools have left or announced they were leaving the Big East.

As it stands, Connecticut, Cincinnati and South Florida remain the only holdovers not committed to either the new "Big East" or another conference.

The loss of the Catholic 7 schools also will impact the value of the media-rights deal with ESPN, a source said Last week, ESPN retained the Big East's media-rights deal by matching an offer from NBC Sports Network. The Big East's deal is worth $130 million for seven years, including $10 million for the 2013-14 basketball season, sources said.

However, if the Catholic 7 schools are not in the Big East in 2013-14, that $10 million amount would be reduced. The remainder of the deal -- $20 million annually from 2014-2020 -- was not dependent on the Catholic 7's membership and would not change, sources said.

The Big East's presidents still must vote and approve on the media-rights deal. The Big East's presidents and athletic directors meet Friday beginning at 11 a.m. in Atlanta.

It remains unknown which league -- the Catholic 7 or the remaining Big East schools -- would hold its basketball tournament in Madison Square Garden.

Once the Catholic 7 split is official, the new league will use a search firm to find a commissioner, a source said. The new league also expects to play 18 league games in its inaugural season.

While Butler, Xavier and, most likely, Creighton are expected to join the new Big East this fall, the Catholic 7 schools are also expected to add Dayton and St. Louis in 2014 for a 12-team league.

Even though the Big East will have to change conference names this fall, the football league will still remain an automatic qualifying BCS conference in 2013 -- the last year of the BCS -- and its champion will receive a berth to one of the BCS bowls.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ording-sources

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    and i thought would ALWAYS have the ugliest uniforms in sports. I was WRONG!
    Seriously. Whoever at Adidas created those, and whoever at Adidas gave those abortions of uniforms their thumbs up and approved them, they both deserve to be smacked, repeatedly, with a 2x4. All the advances humans have made in any and every field, be it technology, medical, whatever, in past decades and still continuing to make today with each passing day, and that's the best shit we can come up with for basketball uniforms?

Wow, those unis are HORRIBLE. Those ND ones are the gayest of the bunch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

wooo court storming must be in town

Top 5 team goes down and no storming the court WTF???

Last edited by CLW; 03-02-2013 at 08:14 PM.

Yes, CLW, court storming is pretty much only reserved for beating Duke. We get it.

FWIW, the last team to beat Duke at home and not storm the court was
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

UALR apparently stormed the court last night when they beat ASU. I wasn't there but the game wasn't for anything (ASU had already wrapped up the division), neither team is ranked, etc. Apparently beating your rival in a come-from-behind fashion in a game that has no meaning is all it takes.

As far as I'm concerned, beating anyone in an exciting game is all it should take. For it to be "acceptable", that is. Not to say every exciting game should involve court rushing.

I've been saying this for years. Storming the court should be reserved for beating a #1, #2, or maybe a #3. If your program is mediocre.

I believe earlier in the year NC State stormed the court for beating North Carolina. NC State was RANKED

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    I've been saying this for years. Storming the court should be reserved for beating a #1, #2, or maybe a #3. If your program is mediocre.

I believe earlier in the year NC State stormed the court for beating North Carolina. NC State was RANKED
    and favored and a pre-season Top 10 club before believing their own hype and not performing up to their potential/talent level would indicate.

i'm a BIG fan of the SEC on this one only I'd increase the fine to $1,000,000 per court storming. some argue you cannot stop it I bet a million $ fine on the school would stop it in a hurry.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie

They stormed the court because they hadn't beat North Carolina in 10 years. It was a BIG win for them, no matter if they were ranked or not.

People REALLY need to stop making a big fuckin' deal about court storming. It's FUN.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    They stormed the court because they hadn't beat North Carolina in 10 years. It was a BIG win for them, no matter if they were ranked or not.

People REALLY need to stop making a big fuckin' deal about court storming. It's FUN.
    It's overplayed. It should only be done for special situations, not when you're SUPPOSED to win

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    It's overplayed. It should only be done for special situations, not when you're SUPPOSED to win
    They weren't SUPPOSED to win. They hadn't beat North Carolina in basketball in 10 YEARS. Ranked or not and North Carolina having a down year or not, it was a HUGE win for them.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    They weren't SUPPOSED to win. They hadn't beat North Carolina in basketball in 10 YEARS. Ranked or not and North Carolina having a down year or not, it was a HUGE win for them.
    And y'know, that whole rivalry thing.

Last edited by CLW; 03-10-2013 at 09:50 PM.

Red x. Forum can't be access by non members.

http://www.insidethehall.com/2013/03...hirt-or-leave/

Be sure to read the comments.

CLW, please correct me if I'm wrong, if this a policy of the student section or arena, not university or government, does the First apply?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    http://www.insidethehall.com/2013/03...hirt-or-leave/

Be sure to read the comments.

CLW, please correct me if I'm wrong, if this a policy of the student section or arena, not university or government, does the First apply?
    This happens allot more than people think. At the Duke Miami game this year some Duke undergrad alum now at UM law school went to the game and someone high up held them up for a long time saying they couldn't go to the game wearing Duke clothes and sit in the Miami student section. The law students balked threatened to sue the school (although they prob would have lost as The U is a private school) and they finally let them in but by that point they were sitting way in the back (which of course is what The U admin really wanted).

IF the school at issue is a state school and certainly is the 1st Amendment would apply and someone could sue the school easily if they were in fact removed from the arena for simply wearing an opponents school colors.

Tinker is one of many SCOTUS cases in this area (generally these are K-12 dress code cases) that 7-2 said schools (government) cannot censor students clothing (black arm bands protesting Vietnam) unless the school can prove it would cause substantial disruption or harm the rights of others.

The Maize only "policy" wouldn't stand up in court b/c wearing another's schools colors wouldn't cause substantial disruption or harm the right of others. Now a private school (or even a professional team) could possibly get away with it b/c generally only the government can violate your rights so there is no government violating your 1st Amendment if a private school or a professional team does it to you.
    Last edited by CLW; 03-11-2013 at 08:32 AM.