Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-13 European Football Discussion

• Facebook
  • Display

2012-13 European Football Discussion

Use this thread to discuss the upcoming European Football season.

I mainly follow the English Premier League, but I know there's not alot of interest here so I figured I'd start this thread to include all of Europe including the Champions League and the Europa League.

Feel free to discuss La Liga, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, or any European League here as well.

Obviously, I would like to draw more of you into following the sport so if you have questions (I don't have all the answers) feel free.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

I'll start by talking about tomorrow's FA Community Shield match which features Chelsea (Go Blues!) and Manchester City (7:30 AM Central, Fox Soccer).

For those who don't know the Football Association, or "FA" is the governing body of football in England. The season kicks off annually with the Community Shield. This is one match (tomorrow's match is at Villa Park) between the previous season's Premier League winners (Manchester City) and the previous season's FA Cup winners (Chelsea).

If the league champions also win the FA Cup, the league runners-up play them in the Community Shield.

We'll discuss the FA Cup, and what it is, later this year when the matches for it get underway.

Anyone else waking up early to watch this tomorrow?

Football? What is this?

( I kid )
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Not sure if I'll be awake to watch the match, but I'm looking forward to the action getting started back up. While MLS is fun to watch, it doesn't compare to European football. Thanks to getting Fox Soccer Channel now, and with Streak for the Cash on ESPN, I've been watching and following a lot of Bundesliga, La Liga, and EPL since the beginning of the year. I haven't really found a team in EPL to follow and become a "fan" of, but working on it. Maybe this year a team will catch my eye.

Well, City took the Shield beating Chelsea, 3-2. Chelsea was down a man for most of the match as Ivanovich was sent off just before halftime with Chelsea leading, 1-0.

In the first 20 minutes of the second half, the Citizens netted 3 goals over a 12 minute stretch to gain a 3-1 advantage. For a bit there, I thought it might end up 5-1, but the Blues held in and pulled within 1 with 10 minutes to play.

Not a bad showing from Chelsea, all things considered. City is going to be tough again this year. They are loaded with talent and I wouldn't be surprised if they win the league title again this season.

Saw where Man U went public. Not really sure why anyone would invest in a professional sports team (unless there was a nice dividend on the stock) but to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Saw where Man U went public. Not really sure why anyone would invest in a professional sports team (unless there was a nice dividend on the stock) but to each their own.
    United claim to have 660 million supporters worldwide, therefore it's an easy sale (I'm sure most are buying shares as a novelty, not an investment). The funny thing is that many of the supporters are pissed because, initially, the money was going to pay down their massive debt (£423 M). However, it was later revealed that half the money would go into the Glazer's pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    United claim to have 660 million supporters worldwide, therefore it's an easy sale (I'm sure most are buying shares as a novelty, not an investment). The funny thing is that many of the supporters are pissed because, initially, the money was going to pay down their massive debt (£423 M). However, it was later revealed that half the money would go into the Glazer's pockets.

People are actually surprised by that? So many owners these days of sports teams care more about more money being put into their pockets than other things related to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    People are actually surprised by that? So many owners these days of sports teams care more about more money being put into their pockets than other things related to the team.
    Surprised? No. Pissed? Yes.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/164270.html

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/p...73112?m_n=true

I was gonna say. After seeing it happen with so many owners across so many sports, it's not even a slight surprise that one would still do that.

NSFW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTR68...e_gdata_player

I'm going to change the title of this thread to soccer

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    I'm going to change the title of this thread to soccer
    Then you'll need to change the FIFA threads to "FISA".

Unfortunately I don't get Sportsnet World or Setana Sports... both of which carry a large number of European football games (the channels cost too much $$$) and in Canada we don't get Fox Sports/NBC Sports/ESPN, etc so I will have to rely on you guys to keep me up to date. Go Celtic! Go Chelsea!

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Unfortunately I don't get Sportsnet World or Setana Sports... both of which carry a large number of European football games (the channels cost too much $$$) and in Canada we don't get Fox Sports/NBC Sports/ESPN, etc so I will have to rely on you guys to keep me up to date. Go Celtic! Go Chelsea!
    Yeah, I need to add Fox Soccer. However, not having it gives me an excuse to go to my buddy's house to watch the Chelsea matches that are on that channel. Going to his house (and the bar in his house) is never a bad thing.

Go Chelsea!

uploadfromtaptalk1344921441386.jpg

Oh, and here is my new hat. Just arrived today.

uploadfromtaptalk1344921569622.jpg

That bar is almost perfect. Just needs a much larger TV and then it would be perfect! If I ever decide to build a bar in the house, his bar is going to be my inspiration for what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    That bar is almost perfect. Just needs a much larger TV and then it would be perfect! If I ever decide to build a bar in the house, his bar is going to be my inspiration for what I do.
    He has a 70" set in his living room.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    He has a 70" set in his living room.

DAMN, that one would be in the bar for sure!!

See if your buddy will fly people in to visit his bar