Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TGT Official Q&A with a Dev

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by psuexv View Post
    Hands, is there a reason I can only aim my putt a certain distance close to me. For example I was on a pretty good downslope and wanted to aim my putt basically just in front of my ball, but I couldn't. When I tried to draw the aiming arrow back there was a definite "line" that I couldn't aim past
    There is a minimum aiming distance. The animations would freak out if there wasn't. You can still achieve a distance shorter than that min aim by getting slow tempo at that aim.

Hands, thanks for allowing us an opportunity to comment. My questions center around the total game. I enjoyed the Q-School idea from TW12. With the final release, will that still be a part of the game? Also, I see under the demo that there are just game modes for now. Are you allowed to tell us if there will be more modes, and what will they be? What about gear (clubs, golf balls, etc...)

I am very nervous about the download courses and their tie to the coins. I get the idea...work for reward, but I think that it could also ostracize players as well. My thought is that the normal average person, with a job and family, is being forced to either play 6 rounds or more for unlimited play, or have to purchase in order to achieve the same results. I think that is a little unfair. But on the flip side, it may not be as bad as I am thinking. The only way to know for sure is when we are actually able to dive into the game.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    Well you did not need to call me an ass.
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    Is it true there is a bug in the putting on the demo?
    There are 2.

1. The green speeds are all slower than they should be. We had a bug with rain saturation levels that were getting stuck into the non-rain settings. It's complicated, but I assure you the greens play much faster on the faster settings in the final version of the game.

2. This is really a bug for all swings. But there is a slight lag between the animation and the stick. You can take it back and never see your golfer get into the red overswing, but still get credited with overswing. The lag causes this. It is also fixed in the final version of the game.

The animations all together had another month of work done on them after the demo was cut. They in turn effect the swing meter as well. There were also a lot of other fixes. IMO, doing these demos is not a smart move for us. It doesn't represent the final product. It is always going to have issues because we are not done with the game. Most of the users freak out about it and I think it just hurts us in the end. Also, in the case of this year, I feel users who play the demo are getting intimidated by the new mechanic right away. Because it is just a demo, there isn't enough substance there to keep them playing for an extended period of time. Without that, they never truly learn the mechanic and they get turned off by it. We need to wait until the game is finished to cut the demo. Even if it means the demo doesn't come out until the week before release or even just on release day. Sending an unfinished game out is never going to go over well.

Quote Originally Posted by HANDSWARD View Post
    ???
    This:
    So ass far as knowing the sport and what is true to it, I feel I have a pretty good grasp.

Quote Originally Posted by natcret View Post
    Hands, thanks for allowing us an opportunity to comment. My questions center around the total game. I enjoyed the Q-School idea from TW12. With the final release, will that still be a part of the game? Also, I see under the demo that there are just game modes for now. Are you allowed to tell us if there will be more modes, and what will they be? What about gear (clubs, golf balls, etc...)
    Career is very similar to last year. There are some really cool changes to it this year too. From the sound of what you like, I think you will be extremely happy with career. I would love to get into the specifics but I can't. We will be releasing an official blog about career in the next week or two. Keep an eye out for it.

I am very nervous about the download courses and their tie to the coins. I get the idea...work for reward, but I think that it could also ostracize players as well. My thought is that the normal average person, with a job and family, is being forced to either play 6 rounds or more for unlimited play, or have to purchase in order to achieve the same results. I think that is a little unfair. But on the flip side, it may not be as bad as I am thinking. The only way to know for sure is when we are actually able to dive into the game.
    Before your only option was to buy it. So having this option is a bonus, right? You can still just buy it like the past. We have the large bundles for a discount. But now you can also get it for free. I think it's pretty cool. It was my design and I am very proud I was able to give the users a way to get the courses for free. Yes, you have to play a lot to do so. But that was my main idea, to reward the users who are playing our game a ridiculous amount.

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    This:
    Oh, lol, typo

Thanks Hands, and thank you for the idea implementation. Your explanation is what really need to be distributed out to folks, as I am sure that I am not the only person who may have thought differently. I think in the long run tho, most folks will prob end up purchasing the courses (impatience, wanting to be a part of a CC).

Also, just as a heads up, in the demo, the flyby screen for the Ocean Course moves much much faster than the one for Augusta National.

Also, just as a heads up, in the demo, the flyby screen for the Ocean Course moves much much faster than the one for Augusta National.
    Yep, another thing that wasn't done yet, all the cameras. There's a ton of them. A lot were done, a lot weren't. Thankfully you guys only have 6 holes.

Tommy posted this:

No... pretty sure you still have to adjust your pull-back length. So if you are trying to hit a PW 50%, your pull back distance would be about halfway back. On the "meter" that wraps around your golfer, you would notice that the first half is white and the second half is red with a target bar in the middle. If you go past that halfway point, you'll get an "overswing".

Is this accurate as he was describing it?

Have another one to confirm:

On Tour Pro and Tournament Difficulty Level settings, when addressing the ball, you have to *hold* the left stick to set the loft and then swing with the right stick at same time (I have mine set for right stick. I assume it would be reverse for left-handed players)?

Before your only option was to buy it. So having this option is a bonus, right? You can still just buy it like the past. We have the large bundles for a discount. But now you can also get it for free. I think it's pretty cool. It was my design and I am very proud I was able to give the users a way to get the courses for free. Yes, you have to play a lot to do so. But that was my main idea, to reward the users who are playing our game a ridiculous amount.
    I just remembered why I made the statement regarding giving a better explanation to players. In the demo, when you go to the Notifications Screen and the read the information for Course Mastery, the last sentence states the following:

"When you earn gold course mastery on one of our paid downloadable courses you will earn free unlimited play on that course"
    It is the presentation of the information on that particular screen that caused me to raise my eyebrow. In your explanation, it appears that once we achieve gold mastery, the hard way, we get the course for free. However, does it also mean we get unlimited play on that course as well?

Quote Originally Posted by psusnoop View Post
    Tommy posted this:

No... pretty sure you still have to adjust your pull-back length. So if you are trying to hit a PW 50%, your pull back distance would be about halfway back. On the "meter" that wraps around your golfer, you would notice that the first half is white and the second half is red with a target bar in the middle. If you go past that halfway point, you'll get an "overswing".

Is this accurate as he was describing it?
    Yea, pretty much. Here is an explanation in my words:

When you pull the aiming marker in you are setting yourself up for a shorter and shorter shot. Shorter shots require a shorter backswing and a shorter follow through. The swing arc (that meter around the golfer) is drawn when you go to address based on the shot you have set up. The white line on the swing arc shows the point that you want to start your follow through (end your backswing). If you have pulled the aimer in, that white line will be not as far around the golfer. There is always a red part of the arc that is after the white line. This shows you the overswing area. You can overswing on any shot, so you can never really let your swing get to the top.

The swing does cap to a certain extent based on your aim. You can't aim 20 yards in front of you and still go back to the top. We have to do this because of animation. Because you have pulled the aimer in to 20 yards, your golfer is now set up for a pitch shot. No golfer would ever set up for a pitch and then take the club all the way to the top. Obviously we aren't going to have the game do that. Plus, the pitch animation somehow blending into a full backswing would look really wierd. And... we don't even have any mocap data for any swing like that.

This is really important... as you pull in the aiming marker and create these shorter shots, your ability to overswing increases. So while you may only be able to overswing by 10% on a max distance shot, a short 20 yard shot allows you to overswing by 40 or 50%. This amount you can overswing depends on the difficulty. The overswing capability is greater in the higher diffiuclties. It does get larger tho in every difficulty when you move to shorter shots.
    Last edited by HANDSWARD; 03-08-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Have another one to confirm:

On Tour Pro and Tournament Difficulty Level settings, when addressing the ball, you have to *hold* the left stick to set the loft and then swing with the right stick at same time (I have mine set for right stick. I assume it would be reverse for left-handed players)?
    Yes the strike meter works like this in each difficulty:

AM: It defaults to the exact center of the ball. If you move it, it stays where you put it.
    PRO: If defaults to the center of the meter. If your ball is off center it is up to you to move it. If you move it, it stays where you put it.
    TOUR PRO and TOURNAMENT: It defaults to the center of the meter. You have to hold it in place throughout the entire swing. It can actually move around during your entire swing.

It is the presentation of the information on that particular screen that caused me to raise my eyebrow. In your explanation, it appears that once we achieve gold mastery, the hard way, we get the course for free. However, does it also mean we get unlimited play on that course as well?
    Yes, if you get gold mastery you get unlimited rounds. If you buy the course you get unlimited rounds. I wrote a blog all about the coins, course mastery, and pins. It has some good information in it. It is on the Tiger Woogs PGA TOUR 13 website under blogs if you want some more info. I think it may be linked in this forum somewhere to.

Yep, another thing that wasn't done yet, all the cameras. There's a ton of them. A lot were done, a lot weren't. Thankfully you guys only have 6 holes.
    Like more cameras in game to choose from? I really wonder what the thought was behind the scenes in regards to the cut ins for the True Aim camera. Ball lands, you then zoom in low to a screen that does not tell you anything and then a closeup of your ball that once again does not tell you anything about the landing of your shot. It just makes me want to do a double tap and move to the next shot.

Hate to harp on the cameras but Follow does nothing for me, broadcast is pretty useless (though with options could be great) and True Aim just needs a quick zoom in option. (I realize that it is realistic to not see where your ball lands in a really deep bunker) but you could do a slow camera pan towards the ball, as if one was walking up to the green, which would be limited to pitch shots and chipping. So many missed opportunities from a visual sense. Things that were standard in the OLD TW PC games of years past (custom cameras - tons of options).

Edit: Wanted to add that I used to post a bunch on the official site over the years and while I have moved away from there (Tim brings out the worst in me), has the team ever considered flying John Cauthen in for one of those Community meetings. Got nothing against Oblong but John kinda speaks for the Sim golfers and does so in a pleasant and articulate way.

He has shares my passion for the lack of cameras in the game and bringing Precision Putting back.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 03-08-2012 at 11:04 PM.

In the retail version, is there any way or any plans to allow you to have separate camera angles for normal swings vs putting? I like the camera facing the player for regular swings but I like the "blimp" camera for putting. I could handle using the camera facing the player for both but when putting from long distances, you can't see where the ball travels.

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    In the retail version, is there any way or any plans to allow you to have separate camera angles for normal swings vs putting? I like the camera facing the player for regular swings but I like the "blimp" camera for putting. I could handle using the camera facing the player for both but when putting from long distances, you can't see where the ball travels.
    No sadly they don't save out independently. I had it on my list but time ran out. It is on my list for next year.

I learned today that when you are in the Aim view and click the left stick, you can get four different levels of zoom. I really like that option.

Handsward,

The more I play the demo the more I am starting to like some of the new functionality. I like the fact that you can still do punch, flop, pitch, chip and other adjustments by pressing X instead of the click stick from last year while in the swing setup view. I also really like how you get actual audible and visual feedback when manually adjusting your swing to meet caddie recommendations.

First off, mad props to HANDSWORD for doing this. I had the chance to meet him at the first community event and his passion for gaming really shows. I wanted to point out that through the first community event, Handsword was spending constant hours inside the playtest room with us explaining the mechanic and the various goals the team had for the brand. He was very open and really helpful. I just wanted to point that out, and thank you so much for all the conversation and spending the time with us.

I think it's important to explain to everyone that when we left that community event in early October, we felt really good about the changes. One of the things us attendees noted was that we knew it would take a bit of time to adjust to the new mechanic. We knew that as soon as some people played it, there would be some hesitation because it is indeed much more challenging then last year. I think through the last few days we are starting to see some great strides once people have had some time with the demo. When we first arrived in Orlando and started to play Tiger 13, every one of us struggled at first and were thrown off. Once we got through day 1 and into the 2nd day the changes and vision REALLY became apparent. The more time with the game - the more nuances you will pick up on and create a certain type of flow with YOUR swing. Trust me in saying that the more you play, the better you will feel.

When playing on harder difficulties the putting is definitely harder but I know that is something I appreciate. I hated the fact putting was so easy before. Putting is one of the hardest things to do in golf and should come with a challenge. The mentality we have to get out of is that the game could easily be mastered on Tour Pro or Tourney. This should never be the case. Things like hitting out of the bunkers, or rough or putting should be a challenge. I think what is great now, is that by accomplishing tasks such as these, or making a nice 15 foot putt come with a huge sense of accomplishment! The reward feels like just that - a reward. More strategy comes into play as well as you'll have to decide to lay up in areas and not just attempt to be a monster on every shot. The team should be commended for this as this is what golf is. Tiger is making the transition to become a more defined 'sim' title and this game should really resonate with real golfers.

Here is a message I received from a good friend of mine who is an avid golfer (probably plays 4-5 times a week), and likes Tiger but never liked the shot stick or some of the mechanics in the game - I thought I'd share --

****Dude, that was a pretty sick fist pump in the video!!!

I downloaded the demo for PS3, have yet to try the Move with it, but I really like the new tempo and swing mechanics! Before the game was just a bunch of math. Hit it 95% of 100 yards to get 95 yards. Now there's so many different ways to hit a ball 95 yards, fast tempo, bigger swing, less or more club, etc...

There is no such thing as a perfect shot in golf and it seems like TW13 is finally adding that.****

That is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear from the community the moment we left the event and I think that is the overall goal of the team - Create many ways to get to one spot instead of just having you on a mathematical 'straight line' so to speak. Playing on the two higher settings THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A PERFECT SHOT, and there never should be. In golf there are none of us that can say 'I'm going to hit the ball in this exact spot and that's where its going to go'.

I really commend the changes and thank the team for taking the time to add some much needed challenge to the title and create something that can be refined and added to in the future. Pretty excited to see where this will go from here! Just wanted to add my 2 cents and my thoughts about the new mechanics.