Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TGT Official Q&A with a Dev

• Facebook
  • Display

TGT Official Q&A with a Dev

Hey everyone,

For those of you that don't know me, I am Justin Patel, and I am a designer on the Tiger Woods PGA TOUR series. Since I am a member here and appreciate the site, I wanted to give back by answering any questions you have about the game. The demo is out now so I am sure you all will get a chance to give it a try at some point. Also, many features have been released and I can answer as much as I know about any of them. There are still a few more details to come in the next few weeks, so I can't talk about everything. But I will answer as much as I can.

So post your questions and I will check in here periodically and answer.

How difficult will it be to unlock courses for unlimited play? Will it be feasible to unlock all courses through play only?

Thanks for doing this Hands!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    The dude abides.

It's already been confirmed by JB that the old swing system has been completely removed from the game, but is there anyway that the old systems (both swinging and putting) could be patched back in or something? As already noted in the demo thread, the putting system right now is a major hangup for me on whether I preorder this game or whether I wait until sometime a ways down the road. If the old putting system at least is patchable back in, this would go right back up to a guaranteed preorder for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    How difficult will it be to unlock courses for unlimited play? Will it be feasible to unlock all courses through play only?
    It does take time. If you are going to play the game a lot then you will eventually get them. It works a little different on 360 from ps3. On ps3 you can buy the courses outright with the coins if you want. You don't have to do the mastery option. The mastery option just gives you the ability to play the course sooner. And you can still unlock it that route.

My recommendation, get the collector's edition. $10 for 6 extra courses. Use the courses you got for a while in your career and just start to build up coins. Then when you have enough, snag a course on ps3, or buy the 2 round packs you need and start playing it. It takes 6 rounds at the course to actually unlock it through mastery. If you don't play well it can take longer. But the objectives are fairly simple, with the longest one being 100 Pars or better. If you keep playing the game all year you will probably have all the courses at some point.

You can always just buy them too. We have a large bundle that is well priced as usual. I can't state specific pricing at all but it is comparable to the past. And you can even earn a bit of a discount by earning some coins before you make that kind of purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    It's already been confirmed by JB that the old swing system has been completely removed from the game, but is there anyway that the old systems (both swinging and putting) could be patched back in or something? As already noted in the demo thread, the putting system right now is a major hangup for me on whether I preorder this game or whether I wait until sometime a ways down the road. If the old putting system at least is patchable back in, this would go right back up to a guaranteed preorder for me.
    The old system is not patchable. There was a lot involved with this change, more than just the mechanic, but also the physics under the hood. Those old swing systems were fossils and could never be hooked back into the new systems via a patch.

Honestly IMO, that mechanic was made in about 1998. It's 2012. It was time for a change. I understand your skepticism, but look at another title that changed mechanics, NHL. The community complained a ton for the first few weeks. Now, those mechanics are the greatest thing to ever happen to the game. When something like the core controller mechanic of a game is changed there is always going to be a learning curve. Your brain has played the game one way for a while and you are still trying to play that way. Once you learn the new way you have to play, it will feel more natural and your opinion will change.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Thanks for doing this Hands!

No problem bud!

Quote Originally Posted by HANDSWARD View Post
    The old system is not patchable. There was a lot involved with this change, more than just the mechanic, but also the physics under the hood. Those old swing systems were fossils and could never be hooked back into the new systems via a patch.

Honestly IMO, that mechanic was made in about 1998. It's 2012. It was time for a change. I understand your skepticism, but look at another title that changed mechanics, NHL. The community complained a ton for the first few weeks. Now, those mechanics are the greatest thing to ever happen to the game. When something like the core controller mechanic of a game is changed there is always going to be a learning curve. Your brain has played the game one way for a while and you are still trying to play that way. Once you learn the new way you have to play, it will feel more natural and your opinion will change.
    Alright, I appreciate the answer. I'll keep working at it in the demo and see if I can get used to it. Hopefully I do, as I have enjoyed playing the TW series, and have been looking forward to TW13. Still not sure if it'll end up being a preorder as I play the game to have fun and have a good time, and I was getting nothing but frustrated with the putting system while playing earlier this evening, but hopefully I can get used to it enough that I won't have a problem putting down the money for the game and then having fun with it.

Will this title be released early as part of Season Ticket?

Either way, will the 20% discount for guys with Season Ticket apply to courses and such on TW13?

Also, thanks for taking the time to do this and for being an active part of our community at TGT.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Will this title be released early as part of Season Ticket?

Either way, will the 20% discount for guys with Season Ticket apply to courses and such on TW13?

Also, thanks for taking the time to do this and for being an active part of our community at TGT.

Those are a yes. I know Tiger is involved with Season Pass.

The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Those are a yes. I know Tiger is involved with Season Pass.

Who asked you?

Thanks though.

HANDS,

Please take this with a grain of salt but after seeing your "math comment" over on the official forums, I am starting to see why Phil wants nothing to do with the game.

If you guys continue to dumb down the game, you might as well call it Darts. Sorry but it is really hard to digest the tempo, tempo, tempo, mantra. Far more to golf than just is tempo. I can have a perfect tempo in real life on every swing but if I can't judge distances, what good does that do?

What concerns me most is the removal of green speeds, which is a big part of golf and especially at a course like the Masters, where green speeds and large breaks make the Masters what it is. You guys just eliminate it. Then you go another step and have the club and distance selected for you. To top it off you do this when a player is in the rough or sand, etc by selecting a proper club for the situation.

Oh I know, you gotta have them stick kills and good tempo. Still, that is not exactly the golf I grew up with and watch on the TV. I know you have to cater to the mentally lazy and kids who just want to hit holes in ones on ever par four but there is still a few of us left who actually want a game that simulates the game we go out and play. I am not trying to be a prick but after the caddy fiasco of 12, you would think a bone or two would be thrown to players who want to play actual golf. Honestly I am considering cancelling my pre-order, buying a Vita and the new Hot Shots game. At least the guys at Clap Hanz realize that "math and such" are still part of the game.

So the main question is, will there be an option to play on Tourney Mode without the preselected clubs and removal of the clubs yardage, etc, in the retail copy?
    Last edited by bdoughty; 03-07-2012 at 04:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Who asked you?

Thanks though.

It was common knowledge when the Season Pass was announced

Hands (thanks for all of your input),

I am assuming the only way to collect coins is through the career mode and not just a "Play Now" game. Is that correct?

All the best,
    Rustee_Irons

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    HANDS,

Please take this with a grain of salt but after seeing your "math comment" over on the official forums, I am starting to see why Phil wants nothing to do with the game.

If you guys continue to dumb down the game, you might as well call it Darts. Sorry but it is really hard to digest the tempo, tempo, tempo, mantra. Far more to golf than just is tempo. I can have a perfect tempo in real life on every swing but if I can't judge distances, what good does that do?

What concerns me most is the removal of green speeds, which is a big part of golf and especially at a course like the Masters, where green speeds and large breaks make the Masters what it is. You guys just eliminate it. Then you go another step and have the club and distance selected for you. To top it off you do this when a player is in the rough or sand, etc by selecting a proper club for the situation.

Oh I know, you gotta have them stick kills and good tempo. Still, that is not exactly the golf I grew up with and watch on the TV. I know you have to cater to the mentally lazy and kids who just want to hit holes in ones on ever par four but there is still a few of us left who actually want a game that simulates the game we go out and play. I am not trying to be a prick but after the caddy fiasco of 12, you would think a bone or two would be thrown to players who want to play actual golf. Honestly I am considering cancelling my pre-order, buying a Vita and the new Hot Shots game. At least the guys at Clap Hanz realize that "math and such" are still part of the game.

So the main question is, will there be an option to play on Tourney Mode without the preselected clubs and removal of the clubs yardage, etc, in the retail copy?
    No there is no option like that.

Also, the math is far from completely removed from the game. You still have to account for the wind and elevation, which is the main math required in golf. What other math do you do? There's no math done to figure out the speed of the green. It's all feel. Even though the math is done for you on the speed, you still have to know what a 10 foot putt feels like on tournament conditions, and what it feels like on average. They are 2 different strokes.

Ultimately, a majority of the skill in this game is in actually hitting the shot. What you do before the shot is still important, but it means nothing if you can't actually hit the shot. I have been playing golf for 25 years and I was scratch by the time I was 13. So ass far as knowing the sport and what is true to it, I feel I have a pretty good grasp. I feel like this game represents golf better than the series ever has before. I am proud we made the game this way. I am sorry if you don't see it the same way.
    Last edited by HANDSWARD; 03-07-2012 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JDFlakes View Post
    Hands (thanks for all of your input),

I am assuming the only way to collect coins is through the career mode and not just a "Play Now" game. Is that correct?

All the best,
    Rustee_Irons
    You will earn coins in ANY game mode (except some tiger legacy challenges) as long as you are connected to the EA Servers. Play now, online, career, anything.

Quote Originally Posted by HANDSWARD View Post
    No there is no option like that.

Also, the math is far from completely removed from the game. You still have to account for the wind and elevation, which is the main math required in golf. What other math do you do? There's no math done to figure out the speed of the green. It's all feel. Even though the math is done for you on the speed, you still have to know what a 10 foot putt feels like on tournament conditions, and what it feels like on average. They are 2 different strokes.

Ultimately, a majority of the skill in this game is in actually hitting the shot. What you do before the shot is still important, but it means nothing if you can't actually hit the shot. I have been playing golf for 25 years and I was scratch by the time I was 13. So ass far as knowing the sport and what is true to it, I feel I have a pretty good grasp. I feel like this game represents golf better than the series ever has before. I am proud we made the game this way. I am sorry if you don't see it the same way.
    Well you did not need to call me an ass.

I get where you are going with this and we will just have to agree to disagree. Everything is just laid out there for you.

Is it true there is a bug in the putting on the demo? I have seen Tim mention this on a few sites? You guys made the game the way you see fit, all I ask is that in the future you take a tip from other games and leave some options available from previous editions. I still think you took out too much of the shot planning involved but it is not my creation and sales numbers will dictate if it was the right one or not. Pretty sure my pre-order will end up a sale for Amazon because I have a few friends picking it up.

I do appreciate you taking the time to answer this. I have seen some of the posts on the official forum and wanting to axe all the developers is in very poor taste. Just remember, you can't make everyone happy but the more options that are available, the happier the majority will be.

Hands thanks for posting and making yourself available.

I just downloaded the demo and have played only a couple of holes. I'll post some stuff here later in the day.

Hands, Thanks for the reply to my question about coins. I am enjoying the demo and am really looking forward to the full game.
    All the best,
    Rustee_Irons

Hands, is there a reason I can only aim my putt a certain distance close to me. For example I was on a pretty good downslope and wanted to aim my putt basically just in front of my ball, but I couldn't. When I tried to draw the aiming arrow back there was a definite "line" that I couldn't aim past