Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Formation Subs

• Facebook
  • Display

Formation Subs

Seeing how I never really fooled around with them in last gen. How do these work, are you able to build formation packages out of these? or will they just be full on substitution.

Say I sub in 2 DEs at DT. Will they stay there no matter what or will they work as a additional formation package?

Thanks in advance.

What happens is in ANY given formation you can put whomever you want at any position and go from there, yes they will stay there if you do it from the roster menu and not in game menu when you hit pause.

So lets say in the Weak I formation you like your power back instead of your speedster running that formation, then you will go into formation subs and put him back there instead of your speedster.

Another good thing about it is on kickofff return you dont want your MVP running around making tackles then you simply sub his ass out and put in a scrub.

Apparently this year they've added special teams to the mix as well, so you can set all of your formations the way you like. If you don't want starters out there getting injured during kickoffs, you can not have them in. It's only available in the dynasty menu though, from what I understand, so you'll have to set them during the week. You can still update your depth chart and use packages in game, but it will not stay that way after the game is over.

I didn't use it ever before last season with Madden, and I loved it. Especially defensively, I could bring in situational formations and keep my line fresh. I also rolled packages quite a bit last year with NCAA, so this gives me less hassle in that regard. I need to start reading up on my teams to get a feel for my formation sub packages, actually. It's about that time.

i used to use it all the time to put in the right LBs for nickel and Dime formations, and for special teams back in the last gen series...ill never understand why they had to take it out.

Very excited about having it back.

I used it all the time on the PS2. I used it mainly to have a good rotation for my running backs - big backs in power sets, scat back in multiple WR sets, etc. I also loved using it to rotate guys through my front seven. My stud backup LB would get some time in the nickel. I'd put better pass rushers in certain spots.

One thing that I didn't like about the depth chart changes is how much certain guys would take a hit when moved. A stud OLB should be able to be a rush End in the nickel/dime without too much of a hit. NCAA still has the packages - I'd love to know if they calculate the positional changes the same way as formation subs or if they are more lenient with awareness hits.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinWolv View Post
    Very excited about having it back.
    Yeah, I'm stoked. This will make it so much easier to get backups playing time.

I think this feature is awesome. I love rotating my D-line and this will help with that. I also use it for RB's like Rudy said earlier.

I never really used it in Gen2, but I will probably dabble in it this year.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    I never really used it in Gen2, but I will probably dabble in it this year.
    For me it was a chance to get those RS FR a few snaps in a couple of formations that I don't call normally. Like the basic Nickle package, even the 4-4 (though I might dabble a little bit with that this year).

I think one interesting thought is the match up problems that you can create in the games. If before the game I notice a user has his best CB in the top spot, I might make a few situational changes to my best WR and move him around a little bit to create some match up problems. Same works both ways as well. I know some of my friends who hammer their slot wr's all the time are going to get a healthy dose of CB #1 playing the slot WR's just because I know they fear throwing outside the hashes.

I like that I'll finally be able to select who will be on special teams. no more WRs who can't tackle on kickoff.

I like that as well. I usually put in 4th and 5th string CB's as well as back up FS and SS's in there too. I usually take out the back up FB too since they always seem to have them in there as well.

Yep, I like that also. It would be niftier if playing guys in such situations helped their development.

Do you guys change out positions in your 3-4, 4-3, or 3-3 stuff also? For example, go with a big safety at OLB and move to a smaller, more mobile DE/big LB in the 4-3 base to be more flexible?

Quote Originally Posted by AustinWolv View Post
    Yep, I like that also. It would be niftier if playing guys in such situations helped their development.

Do you guys change out positions in your 3-4, 4-3, or 3-3 stuff also? For example, go with a big safety at OLB and move to a smaller, more mobile DE/big LB in the 4-3 base to be more flexible?
    I normally don't mess with defense too much. I typically run the 4-2-5 defense, so I'll try to get my 2 best LBs on the field in that formation. If I have a fast OLB, I might put him in as one of the SS.

I thought about using the Multiple D playbook, and setting it up like a 3-4 defense. so the 4-3 formations, move one of the DE to the DT spot, then that vacant DE spot move an OLB there. so it would be an 3-4 defense with an OLB in a DE stance. not sure how that would work in the game though. something I'll have to test I suppose.

I'm just looking forward to being able to recruit deeper and in greater detail with formation subs. Instead of worrying mainly about the 1s, now I can get great run blockers in there for power formations and pass blockers in on shotgun formations, mobile QBs in on certain formations, better run blockers in at WR when running the option, etc. It's great timing (coincidental or otherwise) that we have formation subs back the same year recruiting gets an overhaul as well as the ability to recruit online.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    I'm just looking forward to being able to recruit deeper and in greater detail with formation subs. Instead of worrying mainly about the 1s, now I can get great run blockers in there for power formations and pass blockers in on shotgun formations, mobile QBs in on certain formations, better run blockers in at WR when running the option, etc. It's great timing (coincidental or otherwise) that we have formation subs back the same year recruiting gets an overhaul as well as the ability to recruit online.
    CDJ, that is a good point about run blockers for such situations. Never thought about that, but it will be cool to go through the boards on the net and see what is available to find some hidden gems.

good point chris. With the ratings making strides this year as well, it will be a chess match for non blue chippers this year as well, to fit them into your system and not lose a position with them on the field. In the past it felt like you would give up that position if a stud wasn't there, and you'd have to compromise. Especially in injury situations. But now we will be able to plug in more players to create a varied multitude of talents and skills at a single position on any given play. That's cool

I was playing NCAA 09 last night and it sorely needed formation subs. To say this "addition" is long overdue for NG would be putting it mildly.

Formation subs is a HUGE addition for me for a couple reasons. First, Nebraska tends to rotate several different people @ the same position depending on the situation on both offense and defense. Also, I like to be able to chose who plays on my special teams.

I don't know if this is still true but, in the past a player's "playing time" has been calculated by the number of starts. I would hope that soon (or hopefully already) EA can change this to be calulated by number of snaps played. This would make formation subs even more crucial because then getting your younger player in a couple of formations could help in his retention and development in your dynasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwizzy View Post
    I don't know if this is still true but, in the past a player's "playing time" has been calculated by the number of starts. I would hope that soon (or hopefully already) EA can change this to be calulated by number of snaps played. This would make formation subs even more crucial because then getting your younger player in a couple of formations could help in his retention and development in your dynasty.
    I believe in the past year or two, they've started calculating snaps played. Now, I don't know if that's how they determine the Playing Time promise or not but I know that talking to one of the devs, they mentioned that they do track snaps played.