Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seven Years of Next-Gen NCAA Football - NCAA Football 08

• Facebook
  • Display
    The orange in the presentation overlays was so 1990's

Same here. I tried to play 08 before 11 came out online ... made my eyes hurt. That's before my TV had 1080 HD quality too. Just horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    Wow, you must document your Dynasty very well or have a memory like no other, Dr. Death!
    I have notebooks filled w/ all the stats. I always do stats for every game, writing down my QB's numbers after each quarter and then each player's stats for each game. I am a bit of a nut when it comes to that stuff. Another thing I loved about 08 which should never have been removed or hidden away is the My Shrine...

Having your photos and videos up there as well as your trophies as they accumulate... I loved My Shrine.

Sadly I really do not remember playing this game hardly any. Although, it was a tiny bit better than 07 IMO I think I was still highly disappointed from the jump from 07 to 08 that I didn't even bother playing this game at all. The most irritating thing that happened to me on a consistent basis was the RB running out of bounds and catching a pass in the flats. There just seemed to be no logic of the players even being on a football field. Combine this with the CPU never going deep and other small things and it was just pure frustrating. However, I did like the way fakes and play actions were ran because the camera actually followed the fake all the way and the fakes worked very well, which was something that was missing in this years version. Great write up again!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Death View Post
    I have notebooks filled w/ all the stats. I always do stats for every game, writing down my QB's numbers after each quarter and then each player's stats for each game. I am a bit of a nut when it comes to that stuff. Another thing I loved about 08 which should never have been removed or hidden away is the My Shrine...

Having your photos and videos up there as well as your trophies as they accumulate... I loved My Shrine.
    It's funny you mention writing all your stats down because I used to do that every game in the PS2 days. I recorded all of my games on paper and loved talking about them to my friends lol. on another note, I also do kind of miss the My Shrine. In a way I wish they still kept that in the game for the long hall and added to it. Almost like on ESPN football when you could customize your "crib." haha. Another thing that was missing from NCAA 11 was the fact that it did not keep up with your win/loss record against opponents. I never understood why that was taken out this year because I loved seeing how many games I had played and how many I won and lost and to whom. Maybe it is in 12 this year.

This was my first next gen NCAA game and it wasn't very good. It had a ton of turnovers and the PS3 frame rate was only 30 fps. I wondered if I should have gotten the PS2 version for my 60 GB PS3 model. This was the start of my football gaming fizzling out. Let's bury this game and never talk about it again.

But you know what, I almost got rich off this game lol. Gamestop had the NCAA Challenge going on where you had to win at a store, win the city, and then win the regional in order to go to the National championships at the Georgia Dome on NCAA 09. I was like 16 years old back then, and I won my store tournament in like 30 minutes, just in time to go to work. Then I played in the Virginia Beach city tournament, and I ran through that one in a couple of hours. Finally, the regional final was in Goldsboro, North Carolina, so I drove like 2 hours down there. Btw, I was using Penn State and Florida the whole time. First game of the day I won vs some guy by like 30 points, and the second game was easy too. The semifinal game, I was down by 15 in the 4th quarter, and I had a 70 yd. TD pass to WR #1, and a 25 YD run by QB #15 , plus the 2 point conversion to send it into overtime. We trade scores each of the first 2 OT periods, 3rd OT came and I scored to make it 44-38, got the 2pt conversion to make it 46-38, he ties it by a 15 yd TD run by VT QB #3. 4th OT period came, he gets the ball and on 3rd and 7, he throws a pick, I kick it and make it to the final game. I never heard a Gamestop so loud before, even the people working shut down the place to watch the game. I make it to the championship, and it was a defensive 14-14 game with 2 mins left, my opponent, also using VT scores, goes up a TD, and I tried to answer, but fell short. It was a great tournament though.

This was my first NEXT GEN (and I use that term lightly) NCAA game. No word of a lie... this is what I consider to be the worst football game ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    08 was rough around the edges, so I was ready for a change. At the time I didn't dislike it as much as some, but I tried to play a game of it before the release of NCAA 11 and just couldn't do it. I know we always have discussions and debates as a community of the current state of the game, but going back and seeing/playing 08 you really see how far it has come.
    This. I wish people would go back and play older versions of the game to realize truly how much better it is now. I had someone seriously arguing with me the other day that Bill Walsh was more playable than '11. I've owned every single College Football game EA has ever made and while it was a great game at the time you would be a fool to think Bill Walsh was even near the same level as '11. I posted some gameplay video of '94 and he never responded back to me. Shocker...

This was a terrible game! OMG! I played it on my Xbox and was forced to playing on PS2! It was that bad