Thread: GoogleTV

• Facebook
  • Display

GoogleTV

Yes, please.

Google and Apple running neck and neck for Tech supremecy right now.

I agree, CLW. Im using Google Chrome since 09 and aint looked back. When Google Chrome OS drops for netbooks, thats definitely gonna shake up the game. I need to learn more about this GOOGLE TV though.

Yeah same here I've used Google Chrome and never gone back; however Google Wave was a flop IMO. I'm very intersted in this, curious also to see how much the box will be.

I used Google chrome before I got my new laptop, but for some reason now I haven't made the switch back. But this Google TV looks interesting.

Well I gotta check out what Chrome is all about. I use Firefox at home and IE at work.

While we are all lovin' Google I'll give a shout out to the DROID. Love my phone.

Chrome is the better browser. It took us years at school to get Firefox installed on all the computers, now I imagine it'll be a long time before they get Chrome on there. There's even a portable version someone made for a flash drive that I had been using since they had not installed it.

Chrome is faster than Firefox and the extensions are getting better with every day. Good HTML5 support and a better web browser overall. I like the address bar also being a search field. It just makes it simple to use.

Chrome opens up INSTANTLY...love it.

I signed up for e-mail updates on this.

Yeah I definitely forgot how fast Chrome is. Chrome is back as my default now.

WOW I just got around to watching the video and that really looks sweet!

Chrome has inherent privacy issues that scare the bejeesus out of me, especially at work. I use a Chromium build, but not Chrome itself. It still is missing some features I'd love, but is definitely superior to Firefox, which was my former love.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Chrome has inherent privacy issues that scare the bejeesus out of me, especially at work. I use a Chromium build, but not Chrome itself. It still is missing some features I'd love, but is definitely superior to Firefox, which was my former love.
    Google putting out a program to learn about you? Surely not.

Logitech is offering the first GoogleTV box for $300 which includes the box as well as the wireless keyboard to control it. It's a big out of my price range at this point but I imagine it will go down in price within a year or two. Here's a write-up from gizmodo.

Sony to start selling TVs with it built in soon - http://www.ktla.com/news/cyberguy/st...,1923765.story

That is pretty sweet, Might be an early christmas gift for me this year. I have been needing a new TV since the kids are slowly overtaking the house oops i mean TV's.

Search Giant vs. Cable Giants, round 1
    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/pos...hows_from.html

I have to be honest ... that makes no sense to me, unless I'm fundamentally misunderstanding what GoogleTV does.

GoogleTV connects my TV to, for example, Hulu, right? Or YouTube? Or any other video provider. They don't strip out advertising or the like. It's just Internet-enabled television.

So why are the Hulu owners balking that the advertising isn't good enough? Hulu is Hulu is Hulu. What I watch it on should not matter.

I think what the difference is, is that Google TV is not going to open these shows or sites in a normal browser. So it's not going to be like you are watching it on your PC where they can place ads. You'll open the Google TV interface, search for what you want and then it will play like you are normally watching a TV show or movie. What the networks don't like is they can't really control the advertising since there really aren't commercials. I'm assuming they might just start putting commercials into the shows, unless there is something that they can't.

Got it. Okay, that I can understand. GoogleTV's basically embedding the videos in it's own interface. Yeah ... if I was ABC et al I wouldn't like that either. That makes more sense.

Just put the ad in the video. Problem solved.