Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Wii U Discussion

• Facebook
  • Display

Nintendo Wii U Discussion

It IS a new console...and it is VERY different, and VERY interesting. And there are a TON of unknowns IMO. I think it was so different and not what we're thinking that it is kinda hard to wrap around it right now. I think right now Vita wins over Wii U.

One thing the new console hardware tells me... no HDD. As well, with that small of a footprint, I really don't think it can achieve the 360/PS3 quality.

The biggest problem Nintendo has is convincing that casual crowd to upgrade.

They don't have to worry about convincing me. The day I have a Nintendo product in my house is the day I stop gaming.

This article explains more about the WiiU than the PC did.

Most importantly, you'll no longer be tied to a TV to enjoy your home consoling action -- the Wii U controller can handle your gaming session when the television is needed for other purposes, while a built-in front-facing cam will let you video chat from anywhere too. Notably, you won't have to use the 6.2-inch behemoth if you don't want too -- the Wii U will be compatible with all current-gen accessories and software. Yes, your expansive Wii collection will play on the U version of the console as well. We've also seen some decidedly high-def visuals from Nintendo showing off the Wii U's graphical prowess. See video of the unveiling after the break!

Batman: Arkham City, an Assassin's Creed game, Dirt, Ghost Recon Online, Tekken, Metro Last Light, Aliens Colonial Marines, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, and Darksiders II all got a mention as coming to the Wii U. Yes! EA's John Riccitiello just said the Wii U will deliver "brilliant HD graphics." Finally, the Wii is going HD!

Speaking of HD, the fact sheet from Nintendo informs us the Wii U can pump out 1080p video over HDMI. It'll also be compatible with component, S-video and composite cables. There'll be "internal flash memory" of unspecified quantity, which will be expendable via either an SD card or external USB HDD. IBM is, as with the original Wii, once again responsible for providing the processor inside.

Controller touchscreen is single-touch. In general can only be used in the same room as Wii U console... has to talk to console, not via wifi, etc.

WiiU leaked spec sheet says it will have a 250/350GB HDD & Bluray drive!

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    WiiU leaked spec sheet says it will have a 250/350GB HDD & Bluray drive!
    Reggie Fils-Aime just said it's not a blu-ray drive; it's proprietary tech. Wouldn't comment on disc-capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    Reggie Fils-Aime just said it's not a blu-ray drive; it's proprietary tech. Wouldn't comment on disc-capacity.
    Bah. At least it has a HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Bah. At least it has a HDD.
    All official releases I've seen have said the memory is internal flash memory. I imagine the largest we'd see of flash memory would be 32GB or so. Anything more than that and it becomes too costly... if you compare to a thumbdrive, 64GB starts at $100. Obviously that's not a 1:1 comparison but it gives an idea.

Well investors were not impressed as Nintendo's stock is down to a 5 year low. Apparently, the sentiment is Nintendo is too focussed on hardware and not software and investers think more $ is to be made in the social networking aspect of gaming. Think Facebook games?

That's fine....the console is still a year and a half away. At least they admitted it.

Wii U currently only supports one WiiPad

That loses the functionality I would want if I were playing against a local opponent in NCAA... hide my playcalling so my opponent can't see it.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    It is cool that Nintendo finally has a HD console. Not sure about the whole WiiPad thing as it looks fairly uncomfortable to handle (though I've heard differently). In the end, it just seems like another silly gimmick when all I want to do is play a damn game with a normal controller.

Nintendo won’t release to the public its brand new Wii U console until sometime in 2012 (probably holiday next year if we had to bet for that), but given that the widely expected HD system will only be slightly more powerful than the current generation of consoles, PS3 and Xbox 360, some would debate that Nintendo’s caught in between and will be outpaced not long after launch by a much more powerful PS4 or Xbox 720. EA COO Peter Moore (former EA Sports head) doesn’t think that as a problem for the long running gaming company, Nintendo at all, however.

Speaking to IndustryGamers he said, “People will start talking about it being a transitional platform. And I don’t think that’s going to be the case, and here’s why,” Moore told IndustryGamers. “I think the [tablet] controller [is huge]. This is not about specs anymore… This is about, as it was with the Wii, is the controller a unique way of enjoying a game experience, regardless of what the graphic fidelity is?”

Moore just doesn’t see the importance of massive graphical leaps anymore. Gaming audience are less likely to care the way they did about the big graphics bump say, between Nintendo’s SNES and N64.

Courtesy: myona.com