Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RPG gamers UNITE!

• Facebook
  • Display

RPG gamers UNITE!

*stands up alone*

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Absolutely not. RPGs are definitely my first love. Sadly, they've REALLY went downhill since the old days. Gone are turnbased RPGs like Shining Force, Final Fantasy Tactics, the Gold Box games, etc. Gone is turnbased combat in normal RPGs (Final Fantasy 1-10). The new in-vogue thing to do is Action RPGs with mindnumbingly boring hack-n-slash combat where no real strategy is needed at all to win besides a few different combos. Gone is getting your ass kicked by a boss numerous times over until you figure out all the spells you need to cast at the beginning of the fight so you don't get clobbered.

Video games have become to moron friendly.

There are only 2 RPGs I can play, Paper Mario and Mass Effect. I'm sure RPG-elitist will say Mass Effect is an action game with RPG elements. Whether its an RPG or not, I like it. I beat Pokemon Yellow and Silver back in the Gameboy days but can't play them now. Oblivion/Fallout games are too big for my blood so I won't play Skyrim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Absolutely not. RPGs are definitely my first love. Sadly, they've REALLY went downhill since the old days. Gone are turnbased RPGs like Shining Force, Final Fantasy Tactics, the Gold Box games, etc. Gone is turnbased combat in normal RPGs (Final Fantasy 1-10). The new in-vogue thing to do is Action RPGs with mindnumbingly boring hack-n-slash combat where no real strategy is needed at all to win besides a few different combos. Gone is getting your ass kicked by a boss numerous times over until you figure out all the spells you need to cast at the beginning of the fight so you don't get clobbered.

Turnbased combat is IMO is outdated, I played a game recently where it was turnbased combat and it drove me nuts, as a grown man I don't want to hit a button I go hit a button you go, dammit I want to hack n slash, let me win or lose by me not some crazy ass formula for winning or losing. Actually I don't know why I ever liked it in the first place, so my hat is off to people who think thats fun!

Im currently playing Radiant Historia for the DS. It's fine but alot of back tracking since its a time traveler type game. Game has alot of decisions u can make.

Definitely not alone in raising your hand

New School: Oblivion, Fallout

Old School: Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy, Earthbound

Quote Originally Posted by oweb26 View Post
    Turnbased combat is IMO is outdated, I played a game recently where it was turnbased combat and it drove me nuts, as a grown man I don't want to hit a button I go hit a button you go, dammit I want to hack n slash, let me win or lose by me not some crazy ass formula for winning or losing. Actually I don't know why I ever liked it in the first place, so my hat is off to people who think thats fun!
    It's absolutely not outdated. Turnbased combat is FAR more strategic than hack-n-slash crap, and that's what makes RPGs GREAT. When the combat is just setting up some boring set of parameters and letting the combat happen while occasionally changing something, you've got a game that's a shadow of the greatness that it could be. Combat doesn't have to be tedious, but not making it tedious doesn't mean reinventing the wheel. There's a reason why turnbased combat lasted in RPGs for 15-20 years and some of the best (and most loved) games used it. It's great. It makes for combat that is actually interesting and engaging.

I don't mind turnbased at all. Stoked that Square Enix is re-releasing the Final Fantasy's for PSN.

I fucking hate internet slang etc. ...RPG- of course I can google it but I'm just admitting to not knowing what it means initially and probably wont care once I know what it means haha

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    I fucking hate internet slang etc. ...RPG- of course I can google it but I'm just admitting to not knowing what it means initially and probably wont care once I know what it means haha
    Ummmm... It's not internet slang. It's a game genre that's been around for decades.

LMAO!

Ram, I gotta say, you are one of my favorite posters here. The things you say are so..............unique. You make me laugh somehow everyday with your posts.

Speaking of turned based games... I still LOVE the Sid Meiers Civilization series. Yes, I even enjoyed Civ Revolution for PS3, even though it wasn't in-depth enough.

Ahh yes, the Final Fantasy series. I can't even begin to count how many total hours and days of my life I have spent playing the various FF games over the years. I still play them to this day. They're about the only games I still fire up my PS2 for to play.

It's absolutely not outdated. Turnbased combat is FAR more strategic than hack-n-slash crap, and that's what makes RPGs GREAT. When the combat is just setting up some boring set of parameters and letting the combat happen while occasionally changing something, you've got a game that's a shadow of the greatness that it could be. Combat doesn't have to be tedious, but not making it tedious doesn't mean reinventing the wheel. There's a reason why turnbased combat lasted in RPGs for 15-20 years and some of the best (and most loved) games used it. It's great. It makes for combat that is actually interesting and engaging.
    Agreed. Having grown up on the Final Fantasy series (my first ever video game in my life, was FF7 on PS1), turn-based games will always get my instant attention. Hack-n-slash, while some can be fun, turn-based is the best in my opinion in strategy. Do you attack now, do you defend to lessen the damage of an impending attack against you, do you spend this turn healing or do you risk that you have enough health to hold on for another turn? I have never had as much fun in RPGs today like I used to back in the day. Hell, I remember spending dozens of attempts to defeat Ruby Weapon in FF7 and Omega Weapon in FF8.

Games today just are nowhere near what they used to be. Likes I said in another thread last week, in reply to one of your posts mors, games these days are made for the lowest common denominator so they can get as many sales as they can. Gone are the days of making games truly good and challenging, and long and full of tons of various side quests.

I really hope that one day the rumors do become true and FF7 gets an enhanced remake. I would buy a PS3 SOLELY for a remade FF7. I to this day still never tire of that game and the storyline is still one of the best in a game I have ever personally played.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Speaking of turned based games... I still LOVE the Sid Meiers Civilization series. Yes, I even enjoyed Civ Revolution for PS3, even though it wasn't in-depth enough.
    Same here. I've got Civ III Complete, Civ IV with both expansion packs, and Civ V all currently installed on my computer. I also got, and enjoyed as well, Civ Revolution on 360. I've actually been thinking about firing Civ V up the past day or two. Haven't played it in a while and it's sounding really good right now.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Ahh yes, the Final Fantasy series.
    You saying, "Ah, yes" reminds me of the Turian councilor in Mass Effect 2.

Ah, yes, "Reapers"

Last edited by souljahbill; 06-05-2011 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    LMAO!

Ram, I gotta say, you are one of my favorite posters here. The things you say are so..............unique. You make me laugh somehow everyday with your posts.

in other words you think its a joke...I'm older , i say what i want, within reason. As you get older it will make more sense to you.

in other words you think its a joke...I'm older , i say what i want, within reason. As you get older it will make more sense to you.
    LMAO!

I'm 33 years old but thanks for your wise words of wisdom, sensei.

Ummmm... It's not internet slang. It's a game genre that's been around for decades.
    well, if you dont care, you arent going to know what it means. and if you see it on the internet like LOL and IMO etc. its all just a bunch of internet slang....I'll go for shooters ,but not role playing games
    Last edited by ram29jackson; 06-05-2011 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    LMAO!

I'm 33 years old but thanks for your wise words of wisdom, sensei.

just 33? trust me, each decade will open your eyes further.

just 33? trust me, each decade will open your eyes further.
    What are you, 50?

Having grown up on the Final Fantasy series (my first ever video game in my life, was FF7 on PS1), turn-based games will always get my instant attention. Hack-n-slash, while some can be fun, turn-based is the best in my opinion in strategy. Do you attack now, do you defend to lessen the damage of an impending attack against you, do you spend this turn healing or do you risk that you have enough health to hold on for another turn? I have never had as much fun in RPGs today like I used to back in the day. Hell, I remember spending dozens of attempts to defeat Ruby Weapon in FF7 and Omega Weapon in FF8.
    This is where we will definitely differ Smooth. I HATE FF7. To me, it's the beginning of the end of truly good RPGs. FF7 made classic RPGs a thing of the past because of their instance of no/very limited random encounters, no need to grind for experience/money, and basically just waltz through the game.

To me, Final Fantasy will always be Final Fantasy IV (II in the US) and Final Fantasy VI (III in the US) though I definitely enjoyed Final Fantasy X (certainly helped that I could use Japanese voices instead of listening to the absolutely horrible English voice acting).

To me, I always remember spending an extra 20+ hours in Final Fantasy IV killing the Brachosaurs in the Dinosaur Forest (along with probably thousands of Tyranosaurs) to get 2 economizers so that I could cast Meteor for 1 mana (and combine it with the Gem Box to just utterly annihilate the last boss). That's the type of stuff that these RPGs just don't have anymore. Could I have beat the game without doing that? Sure, but I wanted to be basically unstoppable and I was because of that and I'll always remember that part and how fun it was.

Same here. I've got Civ III Complete, Civ IV with both expansion packs, and Civ V all currently installed on my computer. I also got, and enjoyed as well, Civ Revolution on 360. I've actually been thinking about firing Civ V up the past day or two. Haven't played it in a while and it's sounding really good right now.
    The Civ games are a lot of fun, but I'm horrible at them. I end up getting sidetracked and building a ginormous army and just laying waste to everyone because the CPU is too scared to come my way at all.