Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use DSL extreme?

• Facebook
  • Display

Does anyone use DSL extreme?

is it good for the 14.95 a month they are talking about ? Is it good enough to be able to play you guys online haha ?

DSL Extreme sounds like something you get in a brothel in Amsterdam.

I have never heard of it. Before I just moved, I had 12 megabit DSL internet, and it was just as good as cable. Since cable is the same price discounted as Dish + DSL is, I went back to Time Warner and back to Road Runner with Turbo Boost.

DSL Extreme sounds like just a fancy branded name for regular DSL. What do you have now, ram?
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    DSL Extreme sounds like just a fancy branded name for regular DSL. What do you have now, ram?
    I bet it's 12 megabit DSL.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    its Charter but its too much a month. Whats a good speed for ps3 internet gaming ? i dont no what the numbers you say mean, you have to tell me whats good

Roadrunner ?

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    its Charter but its too much a month. Whats a good speed for ps3 internet gaming ? i dont no what the numbers you say mean, you have to tell me whats good

Roadrunner ?
    The lowest I would recommend is probably around 3mb download and 500kb upload but even at that, there are a lot of factors that go into determining the speed of your connection.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    The lowest I would recommend is probably around 3mb download and 500kb upload but even at that, there are a lot of factors that go into determining the speed of your connection.
    That's definitely not enough. It's what I have, and 95% of the time, games are unbearably laggy.

I'd go more like 6-7 just to be sure it's fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    That's definitely not enough. It's what I have, and 95% of the time, games are unbearably laggy.

I'd go more like 6-7 just to be sure it's fast enough.
    Again it depends on other factors but I had 3mb for a while and had no lag in most expetiences. That said I have 6mb now but that's largely for work.

what is 768 kbps download and 384 kbps - is that too slow ?

I did a charter test and right now it said I was at 14.3 mbps download
    and 1 mbps upload

what is 768 kbps download and 384 kbps - is that too slow ?

I did a charter test and right now it said I was at 14.3 mbps download
    and 1 mbps upload
    768kb/384kb would definitely be too slow. 14mb/1mb is more than ample for playing games online.

768kb/384kb would definitely be too slow. 14mb/1mb is more than ample for playing games online.

well obviously since thats what ive been using. But just trying to figure whats the lowest I can go depending on what they offer. I dont want to ride the border, I want to be functionally above it

well obviously since thats what ive been using. But just trying to figure whats the lowest I can go depending on what they offer. I dont want to ride the border, I want to be functionally above it
    I would recommend at least 6mb down then.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    I would recommend at least 6mb down then.
    +1

Definitely at least 6mb down, though more is ALWAYS better.

and what-upload ?

and what-upload ?
    You generally don't get a "choice" of upload as the rate will be bundled with the download but I'd say at least 500-700kb or so.

I have 768k DSL in my one location and a much faster cable connection at my other(not sure of the speed but I believe it's 10MB) and I don't get lag whatsoever in either location. If developers have good matchmaking then lag shouldn't be an issue regardless of the connection speed. Just like Gears 2. Everyone complains of lag in the game and I very rarely ever get lag. I never get lag in sports games, either. The only games I get lag in are games that are notorious for lag and games that everyone experiences lag in.

Obviously you'll be downloading stuff forever if you have 768k, but as far as online quality with multiplayer games, I can't tell the difference between my two connections.

Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    I have 768k DSL in my one location and a much faster cable connection at my other(not sure of the speed but I believe it's 10MB) and I don't get lag whatsoever in either location. If developers have good matchmaking then lag shouldn't be an issue regardless of the connection speed. Just like Gears 2. Everyone complains of lag in the game and I very rarely ever get lag. I never get lag in sports games, either. The only games I get lag in are games that are notorious for lag and games that everyone experiences lag in.

Obviously you'll be downloading stuff forever if you have 768k, but as far as online quality with multiplayer games, I can't tell the difference between my two connections.
    what do you mean I would be downloading stuff forever?

Compared to faster DSL/cable connections, 768k obviously takes a lot longer to download things off of the store or whatever. If you're trying to stream something off youtube, that will also take longer. The low speed doesn't have an affect on online gaming(from what I've seen anyway), but it does on just about everything else.

Yeah right now, I don't know if it is the wiring in my apartment since it's a newer place, but I'm getting about 25MB down on average with 1MB up. They say I'm supposed to get 15MB down, so that was a nice surprise when I ran a speed test. There was even one test where it topped 30MB.

Ram, I'm going to borrow your thread, if you don't mind. My question, for anyone, what are some of the best ISPs that you have used? Is Time Warner Cable's Roadrunner any good? Any lesser knowns that have stood out to you in the past?

We currently have Embarq/CenturyLink (who bought out Embarq) for our ISP, but I think it's time to dump them. Their DSL is slower than what it should be, and as evidenced in the Tiger Woods forum, I have had last night and Sunday night where the DSL complete up and died for multiple hours (12+ hour so far this current time).

We're already looking at, and planning on, completely dumping our phone line since everyone has cell phones and the landline rarely ever gets used, so we're thinking about dumping the CenturyLink DSL and going with someone else, maybe bundling in internet with our Time Warner Cable subscription.