View Poll Results: How should I start my NCAA 12 Coaching Career?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Defensive Coordinator Rice

8 32.00%
  • Offensive Coordinator Vanderbilt

5 20.00%
  • Defensive Coordinator Duke

3 12.00%
  • Offensive Coordinator Lowest Rated Team

3 12.00%
  • Defensive Coordinator Lowest Rated Team

5 20.00%
  • Other - Please Explain in Post

1 4.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll: What job should I start with for my Coaching Career in NCAA 12?

• Facebook
  • Display

Poll: What job should I start with for my Coaching Career in NCAA 12?

I am really excited about the new Carousel feature for this 12 and I plan on posting the progress of my Coaching Career here at TGT. I think I have narrowed my starting positions to 5 Finalists. However, I could be convinced to start at a different position so I also left the option for "Other".

Feedback as to why you voted for a particular option would be appreciated as well.

Now the "Finalists" in no particular order:

Defensive Coordinator - As many of you know, my wife has accepted a Gynecologic Oncology fellowship at M.D. Anderson in Houston and we will be moving to Houston next month after she finishes her OBGYN residency at Brown. I have looked at several places to live around the Rice campus and it looks like I will be living within a few miles of their stadium. In addition to the ties through my wife/home I also am always a sucker/enjoy playing at strong academic schools. Rice would also provide a challenge. The job would likely be a 1 or 2 star prestige job at the most. They finished 114th last year in scoring defense in the country allowing 38.5 points per game. They also finished 107th in defensive yards allowed at 448.8 yards per game.

Offensive Coordinator - I grew up about 2 hours north of Nashville in Western Kentucky. Vandy obviously fits the mold of outstanding academic school. Additionally, I really like their black/gold uniforms. This job would also be a challenge. Playing against those SEC defenses would NOT be a small task. Vandy finished last season ranked 112th in scoring offense with 16.9 points per game. They also finished 110th in offensive yards per game with 298.3. MY ONLY concern about the Vandy job is that it is a job starting out in a BCS conference. Compared to Rice which is in a non AQ conference in C-USA.

Defensive Coordinator - My favorite school. I ran my offline dynasty with Duke last year and had a blast. However, a change of scenery may be needed to keep the game "fresh". Duke is obviously a challenge and they finished 109th in scoring defense (35.4 points per game) and 108th in yards allowed (450.1 yards per game). Again, similar to the Vandy job my concern would be starting out in a BCS school might be too easy to jump start my career.

Offensive Coordinator / / / / - Basically these are the teams I suspect will be the worst offenses in the game in 12. I would likely just pick the team with the lowest rating on the offensive side of the ball and build my way up from there.

Defensive Coordinator / / / / - Same as above only defensive side of the ball. Again, I would likely pick whichever school had the lowest rating on the defensive side of the ball.

Let me know your thoughts as to what you think would be the most interesting Coaching Career to follow. Thanks!

I say New Mexico, either side. They are so atrociously bad, you're guaranteed a major challenge doing anything, offense or defense.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    I say New Mexico, either side. They are so atrociously bad, you're guaranteed a major challenge doing anything, offense or defense.
    Yeah was REALLY bad last year. With the 5th worst offense and wost defense in college football I imagine that would be one of if not the toughest starting jobs in the country for an OC/DC/HC position. The only "problem" with that starting job is I have no connection to the program and know very little about the school/team. Of course, I hopefully wouldn't be there very long either. I could actually see myself not taking the 1st immediate job offer I got if I took the Rice/Vandy/Duke jobs. However, if I took the worst OC/DC job in the country I'd probably be tempted to get the hell out of there A.S.A.P. which I guess could be good/bad depending on how interesting everyone thought my coach jumping ship frequently would be.

Yeah, if you're looking for a school that you know about or have a connection of some sort to, then I'd say DC. Rice will also present a challenge, plus DC I think will be the more difficult coordinator job. Anyone with stick skills can manage their own on offense, so if you have good or decent stick skills, you'd be just fine as an OC. But defense, unless you have an offense that you know will score every drive, or can score whenever it needs to, you're going to be under massive pressure to keep from giving up a score every time you're on the field, since you never know if that one offensive drive that you give up a score on, if that will be the deciding drive that will win or lose the game for you.
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 05-30-2011 at 04:22 PM.

Well, I'm against using any C-USA team other then Southern Miss by default but I'd say go with Rice. It's "realistic" enough to believe a DC would start at Rice then at an AQ school plus you might develop a personal connection with a new "home team" of sorts in Houston. It might give you some incentive to follow the real Rice during the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Let me know your thoughts as to what you think would be the most interesting Coaching Career to follow. Thanks!
    Take the OC job at and try to stay a few years. W/ out of the WAC that should help you and you might even be able to help build that team up a bit. Challenging, for sure... but going somewhere for one year will, I think, only hurt you.

I am going to take over the OC at and move them into the Sun Belt, along w/ and so we will have a Conference Championship Game and I plan on trying to build them up and may even stay long term. I'll recreate them in TB and give them a nice, shiny new white helmet and probably use as my "new" stadium...

So "new" things are happening for !!!

I am starting out as the OC as Memphis. I played/started with them last year in a dynasty. I can work with them and they will fit my custom playbook

Quote Originally Posted by illwill10 View Post
    I am starting out as the OC as Memphis. I played/started with them last year in a dynasty. I can work with them and they will fit my custom playbook

I dislike Memphis a great deal.

i like the Rice job... you'll be able to follow the real life team easily which will make the first year or two of your dynasty fun knowing all the players...then you can shoot for the Duke Head Job later on and become Spurrier reborn and lead the Blue Devils ot he ACC title!

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post

I dislike Memphis a great deal.

I dont follow them, but I want to turn a team known for basketball to a good football team.
    I ve been trying to find some game tape of MEmphis from last year, But I havent been able to find some

I dont follow them, but I want to turn a team known for basketball to a good football team.
    I ve been trying to find some game tape of MEmphis from last year, But I havent been able to find some
    Do your best to always lose the "Black and Blue" game (Memphis vs. Southern Miss). Whenever we play Memphis and/or UAB, the hits seem to be just a little bit harder then usual.

I went DC at Duke, to see if you can eventually move on and then come back to Duke as the HC and turn them into a football school.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    I went DC at Duke, to see if you can eventually move on and then come back to Duke as the HC and turn them into a football school.
    Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Yeah, if you're looking for a school that you know about or have a connection of some sort to, then I'd say DC. Rice will also present a challenge, plus DC I think will be the more difficult coordinator job. Anyone with stick skills can manage their own on offense, so if you have good or decent stick skills, you'd be just fine as an OC. But defense, unless you have an offense that you know will score every drive, or can score whenever it needs to, you're going to be under massive pressure to keep from giving up a score every time you're on the field, since you never know if that one offensive drive that you give up a score on, if that will be the deciding drive that will win or lose the game for you.
    Well, I'm against using any C-USA team other then Southern Miss by default but I'd say go with Rice. It's "realistic" enough to believe a DC would start at Rice then at an AQ school plus you might develop a personal connection with a new "home team" of sorts in Houston. It might give you some incentive to follow the real Rice during the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Bomb View Post
    i like the Rice job... you'll be able to follow the real life team easily which will make the first year or two of your dynasty fun knowing all the players...then you can shoot for the Duke Head Job later on and become Spurrier reborn and lead the Blue Devils ot he ACC title!

Yeah my conclusion is that a bad DC job is going to be harder than a bad OC job even with the improved zone defense.

The big draw to is the fact that I will literally be living within a few miles at most from campus and playing with them could help me learn a little bit about the team if I am able to catch a few games over the next 4+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Death View Post
    Take the OC job at and try to stay a few years. W/ out of the WAC that should help you and you might even be able to help build that team up a bit. Challenging, for sure... but going somewhere for one year will, I think, only hurt you.

I am going to take over the OC at and move them into the Sun Belt, along w/ and so we will have a Conference Championship Game and I plan on trying to build them up and may even stay long term. I'll recreate them in TB and give them a nice, shiny new white helmet and probably use as my "new" stadium...

So "new" things are happening for !!!
    and would definitely be a tough jobs. My only "concern" would be that I would have zero interest in the teams and thus want to immediately jump after the 1st season. I suppose I could have to abide by some sort of "rules"/guidelines that I set up but other than it just being a VERY tough job I have no other interest in the school/teams. Although I could sort of relate to due to growing up about 3 hours away in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Bingo.

will definitely be my "dream" job / alma mater for my Coaching Career. I just don't know if I want to START there as that might make it too easy to get to the HC position of Cutcliffe er Duke Coach struggles.

Really trying to keep an open mind about it and see what you guys think so keep the comments coming as I have NOT made up my mind yet.

and would definitely be a tough jobs. My only "concern" would be that I would have zero interest in the teams and thus want to immediately jump after the 1st season. I suppose I could have to abide by some sort of "rules"/guidelines that I set up but other than it just being a VERY tough job I have no other interest in the school/teams. Although I could sort of relate to due to growing up about 3 hours away in the area.
    My thing is the goal to take Memphis from being ranked 116th in the Run and 90s in passing to in the 30-50s within 3 seasons. I only want to coach for 4 teams. I know where I want to start at(memphis) and my first HC job(Temple). I dont really know the other two teams. The other two teams are teams that fit my style. My 4th job/last job will be a 4-5
    school that is rebuilding, in a good recruiting area, my RTG RB's alma mater, and fitting my style.

Based on the poll... go VANDY. I would be interested to see what type of job offers you get being an SEC OC.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Based on the poll... go VANDY. I would be interested to see what type of job offers you get being an SEC OC.
    Really surprised isn't getting much love. That OC job might be one of the toughest OC jobs in the country in that conference those defenses are just NASTY. I really like Vandy and have NEVER done a dynasty with them. My only concern would be how quickly could I get a major HC job. I would imagine if I did well with Vandy it wouldn't take very long to getting a major HC job offer.

Really surprised isn't getting much love. That OC job might be one of the toughest OC jobs in the country in that conference those defenses are just NASTY. I really like Vandy and have NEVER done a dynasty with them. My only concern would be how quickly could I get a major HC job. I would imagine if I did well with Vandy it wouldn't take very long to getting a major HC job offer.
    The reasons it's not getting love (In no particular order):
    1) Florida
    2) Georgia
    3) South Carolina
    4) Tennessee

The reasons it's not getting love (In no particular order):
    1) Florida
    2) Georgia
    3) South Carolina
    4) Tennessee

that looks like the ultimate challenge right there...you will literally have to almost shut them out and then score with the defense to win! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Bomb View Post
    that looks like the ultimate challenge right there...you will literally have to almost shut them out and then score with the defense to win! lol
    Agreed! SEC competition is beastly. Vandy is a great challenge.