Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony's next console in development

• Facebook
  • Display

Sony's next console in development

PS4?

Sony announces new console in development.

Not surprising. I just hope they learned the lesson of not letting MS beat them out of the gate by a significant amount of time. Americans will buy the 1st next-gen console out on the market and if Sony's PS4 isn't out roughly the same time as the 720 they will be a distant 2nd fiddle for another entire generation of consoles.

Looks like they will win, Microsoft just started hiring developers for their next-gen console in March. Looks like PS has been working on theirs for a little while.

Sony's in a different boat than Microsoft, though. As far as I know, Sony is STILL losing money on every PS3 they sell. Their software attachment rate also isn't nearly as high as Microsoft's. Not to mention the 360 has been selling incredibly well the past several months, especially in America. I personally doubt we see a new console from Sony until late 2012 or early 2013 if even then.

When they do release one, they need to have a much bigger emphasis in online interface. There's no cross game chat, there's no cross game invite system, there's no party system, the interface for trophies is slow and clunky, there's a very limited profile page, etc..These are all facets where Microsoft and it's Live service just run all over Sony, so it definitely needs to be improved for the next generation.

The no cross game chat was a killer for me. Honestly I really don't know what a new console can do besides make bigger games with better graphics. The worse thing they can do is put to much focus on movement controls.

Yeah, the sooner this motion control garbage fad goes by the wayside the better.

Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    Sony's in a different boat than Microsoft, though. As far as I know, Sony is STILL losing money on every PS3 they sell. Their software attachment rate also isn't nearly as high as Microsoft's. Not to mention the 360 has been selling incredibly well the past several months, especially in America. I personally doubt we see a new console from Sony until late 2012 or early 2013 if even then.

When they do release one, they need to have a much bigger emphasis in online interface. There's no cross game chat, there's no cross game invite system, there's no party system, the interface for trophies is slow and clunky, there's a very limited profile page, etc..These are all facets where Microsoft and it's Live service just run all over Sony, so it definitely needs to be improved for the next generation.
    Yeah, these are all major things for me. Being able to party chat, cross game chat, and cross game invites, a party system, I seriously couldn't imagine an Xbox Live with those. I've wanted to get a PS3 in the past, but ultimately, various factors keep me from doing so, and would potentially cause the same with the PS4. Same things listed above, if there is cross game chat, party system, etc, or not.

Right now, besides those, the main factors that keep me solely on 360, is 95% of my friends play 360. There are literally less than 10 of my RL friends who play PS3. As well, there are more exclusive games I like to play on 360, as well I am used to the 360 controls a lot more than I would be the PS3. The only PS3 exclusives that would interest me essentially, at least right now, would be Heavy Rain and MLB The Show, maybe some others here and there, but right now those would be the only two games I would look at that are exclusive to PS3. Otherwise, I'd probably just continue buying all my games on 360, much like I pretty much continued buying the large majority of my games for PS2 when I had both a PS2 and original Xbox.

For me, the future gaming systems, it's all going to depend on how the systems themselves perform, exclusive games to each system, and the things you listed, the various features that, at this moment, Microsoft is easily beating Sony in. But, we're still a couple years away from that point that we have to worry about it, so we'll see what happens. Plus I know for me, much like with this generation, I didn't get my 360 until late 2008 just due to all the issues the launch consoles were having. So even when the new consoles come out, it'll be at least a year or two probably before I go and make the jump to the new systems. Let some newer versions hit the marketplace that have launch bugs and other issues already fixed.

Yeah, I'm the exact same way, which is a lot coming from me, as I've been on Playstation since day one. I had the original PS1, had a launch day PS2, and launch day PS3. I tried the original Xbox for a day before I got rid of it, and although I did have a launch 360, I never really used it. 99% of my time was on PS3...until they launched the NXE with the party system. That's when I fell in love with Live. Ever since then, it's been the exact opposite - 99% of my time is on 360. The only reason I still have my PS3 is because of the possibility of a future exclusive I'd want, and I'm too lazy to sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by DariusLock View Post
    Looks like they will win, Microsoft just started hiring developers for their next-gen console in March. Looks like PS has been working on theirs for a little while.
    That doesn't stop MS from starting later but finishing quicker (even if it means RROD 2.0) to be 1st in the market place.

If MS has any brains, they will make damn sure there is no chance for RROD in the next console. MS has taken hell in the gaming community for it, and while the 360 may still be selling like hotcakes right now, if MS ships out a console and it's RROD hell all over again like it was the first time around, that is one surefire to hand the console wars of the next gen to Sony. Read around the internet, and tons of people are already pissed at MS for having multiple consoles of theirs RROD. If they have to go through that hell all over again, I can guarantee that would be the breaking point for a bunch of them and push them to Sony and PS4.

Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    Yeah, the sooner this motion control garbage fad goes by the wayside the better.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    If MS has any brains, they will make damn sure there is no chance for RROD in the next console. MS has taken hell in the gaming community for it, and while the 360 may still be selling like hotcakes right now, if MS ships out a console and it's RROD hell all over again like it was the first time around, that is one surefire to hand the console wars of the next gen to Sony. Read around the internet, and tons of people are already pissed at MS for having multiple consoles of theirs RROD. If they have to go through that hell all over again, I can guarantee that would be the breaking point for a bunch of them and push them to Sony and PS4.
    I don't buy that argument. They may have taken "heat" but they laughed all the way to the bank by basically putting out a flawed POS hardware 1st. If I were MS I'd do it again with the 720 in a heart beat.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    I don't buy that argument. They may have taken "heat" but they laughed all the way to the bank by basically putting out a flawed POS hardware 1st. If I were MS I'd do it again with the 720 in a heart beat.
    True which pisses me off a bit because I fell victim. Hell I even waited a bit to buy a 360. I'll still likely get another though

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Fool me once, shame on you......

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    I NEVER buy a console when it first comes out. I'm sorry, but with these consoles and the hurry up get it out the door as quickly as possible job that these console companies are doing, you'd be insane to pay $400+ for a console that might not even work right. Nevermind the fact that there are rarely, if ever, any games coming out for the system that are worth playing in the first 6 months of it's availability.

Actually the first batch of 360's werent the ones that fell victim to the RROD it was batches 2-250. lol Alot of the original 360 were just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post
    True which pisses me off a bit because I fell victim. Hell I even waited a bit to buy a 360. I'll still likely get another though
    Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Fool me once, shame on you......
    See above as Exhibit A as to why MS will be able to get away with much worse if they want to beat Sony to the punch with the 720. Are there some 360 guys that won't buy one due to RROD? Definitely. However, that # (whatever it may be) dwarfs the # of extra units they sold of the 360 and will sell of the 720 if they beat Sony's PS4 by any significant amount of time.

MS could literally put a POS in a box and call it a new console and they'd still sell millions of units at launch. Then people would get pissed. MS would go into PR mode and win the console war again.

Quote Originally Posted by oweb26 View Post
    Actually the first batch of 360's werent the ones that fell victim to the RROD it was batches 2-250. lol Alot of the original 360 were just fine.
    Yep, my launch 360 worked just fine without a single issue until I replaced it last September.

Hopefully both Sony and Microsoft learn from their mistakes, but as of right now I can't say I am terribly excited about having to transition to a new console in a few years. I'd rather both go a year without some sort of snafu.

I've always wondered how many 360s sold was to a repeat customer with a broken 360 and not to new customer. Yeah, Microsoft is selling another console but they aren't necessarily gaining any real marketshare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk