Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recruiting in Dynasty mode

• Facebook
  • Display
    Freshman

Recruiting in Dynasty mode

The recruiting is supposedly just being "tuned" for next years game? What does that mean?

I personally hated the russian roulette style of recruiting because it was 80% computer manipulated and dominated by certain teams more than any year before because of the complete lack of comparable talent at the 2 and 3 star range.

3 stars are the backbone of college football. In NCAA 2011 none of them could even be a starter for me. A 4 or 5 star player as a sophomore was better than 95% of the 3 stars during their redshirt senior year.

In a competitive online dynasty you had to have a counter for all the big boy teams or you would get someone dominating recruiting. Texas and Oklahoma had to balance each other out. Miami and FL State. Hopefully Oregon could slow down USC because no matter how many time you beat them with UCLA, UCLA can never out-recruit them. Michigan/Ohio State and hopefully Alabama/FL. If you don't get match ups like that, no matter how many times Nebraska wins the Big 12 title Oklahoma will still decimate them in recruiting while Nebraskas team starts to look more and more like a Jr. Varsity Squad.

Also being stuck -1 behind Akron for 3 weeks when you've negative recruited them for 300 points when you're Wisconsin is ridiculous yet it happens all the time.

I will say this about recruiting in '11... I absolutely hated it. A kid has proximity to home as Low on his list and he's six States away from me... yet it would always pop up when I was recruiting him. In real life if I am recruiting a kid in Florida and I am coaching at say, or and I already know location or how close to home he is, is no big deal to him, I would NOT keep bringing it up.

"So Mr. 5-Star QB, I know you have repeatedly told me you don't care about staying near your home, but for the ninth time, let me ask you this just so I can be absolutely sure it isn't a priority for you..."

And yes, I know they have the Change Topic option, but come on man, bring back the Football Face that would or get or even :rolleyes: and let us have control of our recruiting again.

This Friday, there is a Dynasty Tuning Blog, so I am thinking that we can definitely get some things cleared up there with that blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Death View Post
    I will say this about recruiting in '11... I absolutely hated it. A kid has proximity to home as Low on his list and he's six States away from me... yet it would always pop up when I was recruiting him. In real life if I am recruiting a kid in Florida and I am coaching at say, or and I already know location or how close to home he is, is no big deal to him, I would NOT keep bringing it up.

"So Mr. 5-Star QB, I know you have repeatedly told me you don't care about staying near your home, but for the ninth time, let me ask you this just so I can be absolutely sure it isn't a priority for you..."

And yes, I know they have the Change Topic option, but come on man, bring back the Football Face that would or get or even :rolleyes: and let us have control of our recruiting again.
    What should happen is that a recruit only brings up topics that he has "Above Average" interest in. The coach could/should bring up everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    What should happen is that a recruit only brings up topics that he has "Above Average" interest in. The coach could/should bring up everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Great Idea. I know I am tired of spending 60 minutes and getting low, very low, low, least, very low, above average.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Death View Post

This annoyed me as well, to the point that I lowered the difficulty and just let the CPU do my recruiting.

But what annoyed me more was how players were practically married to their position before they ever step foot on campus. I really wish the players ratings weren't completely set at the start of recruiting; instead just the obvious ones like speed, agility, strength, etc. I should not know how well a kid pass blocks or returns kicks if he's never done either.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
    This annoyed me as well, to the point that I lowered the difficulty and just let the CPU do my recruiting.

But what annoyed me more was how players were practically married to their position before they ever step foot on campus. I really wish the players ratings weren't completely set at the start of recruiting; instead just the obvious ones like speed, agility, strength, etc. I should not know how well a kid pass blocks or returns kicks if he's never done either.
    We did the same thing in our online dynasty. Having a big online dynasty is a nightmare with this new recruiting system. It literally dissolves 8 - 10 - 12 player dynasties because the recruiting pool is not deep enough and it creates a lot of haves and have nots based purely off of computer preference.

Few people want to admit that recruiting took a HUGE step back last year and now I just want some clarity on whats being done to remedy the awful recruits, recruiting system, and recruiting logic.

Yes, recruiting ruined this game for me. I can only play about 3-4 seasons before I get tired of all the other teams being horrible around me.

While I agree that the new system isn't very good, I also do not want a return to the football face either. Just my opinion, I'd like to see some elements of both incorporated into a system. Make it more of a back and forth between coach and recruit. I select a topic, he brings up a topic, etc... Also, I'd like to see more involved aspects introduced like: Sending coaches to visit, offseason camps with next seasons recruits, etc...

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwizzy View Post
    While I agree that the new system isn't very good, I also do not want a return to the football face either. Just my opinion, I'd like to see some elements of both incorporated into a system. Make it more of a back and forth between coach and recruit. I select a topic, he brings up a topic, etc... Also, I'd like to see more involved aspects introduced like: Sending coaches to visit, offseason camps with next seasons recruits, etc...
    Instead of the coaches choice there should be players choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Marshall X View Post
    Instead of the coaches choice there should be players choice.
    Most people have operated under the assumption that the entire call, minus the Coach's Choice option, is being led by the player, not the coach. If it was led by the coach, then the roulette system really doesn't make sense. Some people would argue it doesn't make sense then either, and I may agree, but at least looking at it as a phone call the recruit is in charge of makes more sense than the alternative.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Most people have operated under the assumption that the entire call, minus the Coach's Choice option, is being led by the player, not the coach. If it was led by the coach, then the roulette system really doesn't make sense. Some people would argue it doesn't make sense then either, and I may agree, but at least looking at it as a phone call the recruit is in charge of makes more sense than the alternative.
    Regardless of who is in charge of the call, the russian roulette system makes no sense because who talks about things that the recruit doesn't care about? Why would proximity to home come up if he doesn't care about it at all? Why would a coach bring it up if he's nowhere near the prospects home? Stop. Think about it. The devs certainly did not.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Marshall X View Post
    Stop. Think about it.
    I already did
    Some people would argue it doesn't make sense then either
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Freshman
    I already did
    Lol! Yeah its ridiculous.

This is how I viewed it and I thought recruiting in '11 was WAY better than '10. Waiting on the football face and watching an hour go by sometimes with no response was very annoying. I really liked how you could plan your recruiting better this way and I LOVED the difficulty options in recruiting. Having the ability to recruit on a harder setting allows you to play with a great school you love instead of always choosing a mediocre program and building it up.

It's a video game. There has to be a mechanism in the recruiting system that allows for bad phone calls. I don't read too much into it.

I really don't see a major problem. Like SF said, gotta be a way for bad calls to occur. I don't hate the system by any means, because the basic point is that you are talking to the recruit about all available aspects of your school (see below S-1 for a new idea of how this works without being just a stupid implementation).

That being said there are definitely distinct changes that would help the issue that you guys have and also allow for the recruiting of more players. This is where a solution must be presented for the current system to change though. In my experience, just complaining about it doesn't get us where we need to be. So here is a soluble idea. My system would call for more strategy and focused recruiting via some tweaked features, but wouldn't require a complete change of system, just a general overhaul of the current one:

GENERAL GUIDELINES:

G-1: I would like to see the recruiting time get cut down to a maximum of 4 available topics at a required 10 minutes apiece for (up to) the first 2 topics, and a required 20 minutes for the 3rd and 4th topics (should you choose to talk about the 3rd and/or 4th topics).

G-2: During the first 3 weeks of the season you can ONLY pick up to 2 topics (Which allows you really to recruit all of your available 35 recruiting board players without worrying about another team spending a lot more time than you on them). Starting week 4, you can choose a 3rd topic and a 4th topic if you wish (essentially thinning out your list and list of cpu's *premier* recruits, and also giving any coach a distinct advantage over another coach that does not choose to take advantage of a 3rd/4th topic because of the 20 minute bump).

G-3: The point value doesn't have to dramatically change for this new system, except that the used time would double the possible values of topics 3 and 4. Everything else could stay the same to be honest.

NOW FOR SPECIFICS:

S-1: During all weeks, choosing to talk about 1 or 2 topics leaves you with a random *NEW* topic, until recruit has all of the available topics filled out. After all topics are filled out, only these first 2 topics in any week become randomized as the current system calls for. For lack of a better idea, the first 2 topics in any week would now be referred to as "Parent's Choice" topics, seeing that parents want to know every available aspect of the school they are sending their kid to. (this idea of PC also works for current system).

S-2: As stated above, starting in Week 4 you are able to choose up to 3 and 4 topics. Any 3rd topic will be a "Player's Choice" topic, where the player chooses something that HE is interested in or anything "above average" or more (costing you 20 minutes). Note that this doesn't necessarily mean a topic that your school has a good rating in, this is the player's topic of choice.

S-3: Choosing all 4 topics for a recruit in a week additionally earns you a "Coaches Choice" topic, where you talk about your desired topic choice (also costing 20 minutes and filling out a full hour for that recruit). This would make the randomized coach choice null obviously and put it in the coach's hands.

S-4: Still in place would be a "Promise" opportunity, a "Visit" opportunity, and the "Offer Scholarship" opportunity. The main system will stay exactly the same as it is now, with only 3 available Promises to any single recruit per season, 1 visit and 1 Scholly offer (any of which can replace one of your topics for the week). Visit weeks will follow same guidelines as current system, choosing up to 3 available topics of your choice during the visit.

S-5: "Change topic" choice would be cut down to 1 opportunity per week and could only be used on "Parent's Choice" topics (IOW the first or second topic of any call).
    Last edited by Jayrah; 05-31-2011 at 09:16 AM.

Jay you might be onto something.
    Especially giving you a chance to recruit your whole board the first few weeks as you narrow down serious targets.

I like this.

I don't like the idea of restricting even more time on a call. It's bad enough that we are limited to just 1 hour on our recruits, which is not realistic at all especially when I have only 5 kids left on my board. I've never put 35 players on my board in fact 25 is my max, but I mostly keep it around 15-20 to start.

Needless to say I was a bit disappointed to see in the Dynasty tuning blog that they didn't tweak the slot machine recruiting process. I don't think it needs a major overhaul just some tuning to get it to play out a bit more realistically. I have seen numerous tweaks on the phone call process from many different sites ever since the release of NCAA 11. The following is the tweak that I came up with last year, and I still think it can be tuned this way for NCAA 12 (either at release time or when the first tuning set comes out).

Slot machine recruiting tweaks (increase the likelihood of getting a coach's choice to 1/3 of the time so in a 60 minute phone call I will be guaranteed two topics that I am interested in pitching, add in a player's choice that shows up around 1/3 of the time that chooses only a prospects above avg, high, very high, and most interested pitches, and finally the last 1/3 can be completely random which will allow for the unplanned bad phone call(least, very low, low, avg, as well as your schools low c or d graded areas).

I think this is very much doable right now and it will result in a more realistic phone call.
    Last edited by WolverineJay; 05-31-2011 at 02:13 PM.

Until late in the season (when you lose a guy and no one else is interested enough to be worth adding), you should ALWAYS keep 35 on your board. You gain points just by having them on your board, even if you don't call them.