Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Conference Musical Chairs

• Facebook
  • Display
    True.

Local station saying there's some talk that SEC is looking at Texas A&M....and Virginia Tech.

They are saying there's still some very small talk that Texas may still get to the Big 10.

Recruit
    That would be crazy if A&M went to SEC and Texas to Big 10.

Some KC media outlet reporting Texas & Texas A&M looking at Big 10, Oklahoma looking at SEC. I just can't envision the Southern schools breaking up all that much.

Recruit
    I have no idea how credible this source is but... it just got crazier.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- High level sources in multiple conferences have told KCTV5 that Texas and Texas A&M are looking to move to the Big Ten Conference and have petitioned for membership, while the University of Oklahoma is planning on petitioning the Southeastern Conference to become a member of its conference.

KCTV5's sources said that Texas and Texas A&M do not have to include Texas Tech or Baylor in their plans. Sources told KCTV5 that there have already been discussions about the two schools entering the Big Ten and that the agreement could be made as soon as Thursday.

Oklahoma is currently working on petitioning to enter the SEC, but must find another university to enter the league with them, sources said. TMZ Sports has reported that Oklahoma State is likely to accept a bid to move to the Pac-10. Earlier Thursday, Colorado accepted an invitation to join the Pac-10.

KCTV5's sources also said that some Big 12 officials are saying decisions on which deals Big 12 schools take invitations by the end of the day Thursday, although the deals may not be officially announced. Big 12 officials also tell KCTV5's sources that some Big 12 office employees are planning to be without a job within weeks.

Those decisions would leave the University of Kansas, Kansas State University and the University of Missouri with Baylor, Texas Tech and Iowa State in the Big 12. The Missouri Board of Curators met Thursday and planned to meet Friday to discuss the future of Missouri sports.
    http://www.kctv5.com/sports/23860558/detail.html

Recruit
    STILLWATER, Okla.—Oklahoma State University president Burns Hargis says the school remains committed to the Big 12 Conference despite Colorado’s decision to leave the league and join the Pac-10.
    Hargis says Oklahoma State has invested heavily to be competitive in the Big 12 and he believes that will give the school options if rumors about other teams leaving the league turn out to be true.
    The university completed a $286 million overhaul of its football stadium prior to last season, including new weight rooms and luxury suites. Most of the project was funded through about $250 million in donations from billionaire alumnus T. Boone Pickens.
    A school spokesman also issued a statement Thursday reiterating that OSU is committed to the Big 12 but would have to evaluate its options if more teams leave

Quote Originally Posted by DookieMowf View Post
    I have no idea how credible this source is but... it just got crazier.
    A writer from Texas was on Unsportsmanlike Conduct on ESPN 1620 in Omaha and discredited that report, says Pac 10 is what's going to happen for Texas.

If Texas and Texas A&M join the Big Ten that would be stupid. They are so far away from the other schools.

So Dumb!

Haha, thinking about it, WSU is planning their stadium expansion to be done by the 2012 season, so this move would be PERFECT from the standpoint of revenue. What timing! Now that Colorado's in, there's no fighting it, let's scoop em PAC.....??

I agree, that's it. Rumors are, MWC doesn't even want Baylor.
    Baylor and BYU in the same conference is just mind-blowing from a sociology standpoint.
    KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- High level sources in multiple conferences have told KCTV5 that Texas and Texas A&M are looking to move to the Big Ten Conference and have petitioned for membership, while the University of Oklahoma is planning on petitioning the Southeastern Conference to become a member of its conference.
    While from a Big Ten fan standpoint that would be awesome, there's no sense in the move. I'd still love it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    If Texas and Texas A&M join the Big Ten that would be stupid. They are so far away from the other schools.
    ... so? Once you get on a plane, it's essentially all the same. And even if you don't buy that (and I don't, totally), we're beyond the point of geographical sense. Texas & A&M would essentially be able to add the entire state of Texas to Big Ten Network households. Throw in Texas' performance in baseball and men's basketball and you have even more eyes on the Big Ten Network. More eyes would be more money. And even if the Pac 10 adds their own network, it will take a few years for it to reach anything near the penetration of the Big Ten Network. In that timespan, Texas & A&M (or any new addition) could be raking in $22-25 million per year.

Plus, you just have to look at the WAC for an example of how little difference geography makes.
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 06-10-2010 at 11:28 PM.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Once you get on a plane, it's essentially all the same. And even if you don't buy that (and I don't, totally), we're beyond the point of geographical sense. Texas & A&M would essentially be able to add the entire state of Texas to Big Ten Network households. Throw in Texas' performance in baseball and men's basketball and you have even more eyes on the Big Ten Network. More eyes would be more money. And even if the Pac 10 adds their own network, it will take a few years for it to reach anything near the penetration of the Big Ten Network. In that timespan, Texas & A&M (or any new addition) could be raking in $22-25 million per year.

Plus, you just have to look at the WAC for an example of how little difference geography makes.
    I think geography still plays a significant role. It may not matter for football or basketball but it would cost athletic departments a fortune to bus all the secondary sports and women's sports across a country. The funny thing is that college football TV revenue seems to be driving 99% of these expansion talks and people aren't even considering the affects on the rest of the athletic department. Maybe they will just start cutting some of those other programs to save on travel costs.

Recruit
    Newy Scruggs on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas was talking about the remaining 5 Big 12 schools stay put, invite the Mountain West Conference, would bump them up to 14. They still keep their automatic BCS birth, they have a TV contract until 2015 and each school that leaves the Big 12 would have to pay the Big 12 $10 million each.

Sounds like a plan to me.

Geography isn't as big of a factor now a days. If it means pulling in that much more $, travel expenses going up isn't going to stop them.

Nebraska regents meeting is at 1 central today. Expect something to break shortly after that.

Newy Scruggs on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas was talking about the remaining 5 Big 12 schools stay put, invite the Mountain West Conference, would bump them up to 14. They still keep their automatic BCS birth, they have a TV contract until 2015 and each school that leaves the Big 12 would have to pay the Big 12 $10 million each.

Sounds like a plan to me.
    It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure it would work. I can't remember where I read it, but I think in order for it to remain the Big 12 (at least in the sense of keeping the auto BCS invite), they have to keep at least 8 of the Big 12 schools together. The remaining five schools and the Mountain West could obviously still merge, but I think they'd have to renegotiate TV and BCS contracts. I could be wrong though.

From Twitter:

schadjoe Boise State will join Mountain West Conference

The Nebraska regents just started the meeting at 1, did a role call, asked for public comment. There was no public comment, so they have now gone into a closed session which will take 30-40 mins, followed by an announcement and AD Tom Osborne and chancellor Harvey Pearlman will speak thereafter.

Harvey Pearlman has just stated that we will begin Big 10 play in 2011. And the Big Ten Network will carry almost all games in all sports. He's also airing out all the dirty laundry calling out Mizzou and Texas in the process.

Notre Dame cancels their game against Army in Yankee Stadium due to "it not fitting in their schedule" hmmmmm *COUGH* BIG 10 *COUGH*

Nebraska just joined the Big Ten!