Page 35 of 45 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Conference Musical Chairs

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Off topic, but it REALLY bothers me when you guys post entire articles in quotes. It's borderline copyright infringement when you do that, ya know.
    How?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Off topic, but it REALLY bothers me when you guys post entire articles in quotes. It's borderline copyright infringement when you do that, ya know.
    Is it? I have no legal background so maybe CLW can chime it.

A: A link is provided
    B: Smooth does not claim the information as his own.
    C: This is not a for profit competing site to ESPN.

That said I do agree with posting a link to the site, the title and a short part of the story. Unless it is a site that is of a NSFW nature, or requires a log-in (not subscription) to view it.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 09-25-2012 at 08:16 PM.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Believe me, coming from a Redskins board full of lawyers, they enforced the hell out of that. It could have been because it was a Scout.com affiliate or some shit, but they were hyper-hardcore about it. I don't know if it has any actual legal precedent or anything, but it still bothers the hell out of me for some reason.

I could definitely understand that if it had been an Insider article and I or someone posted the entire thing, when it was intentionally made a story behind ESPN's paywall, but this was a regular article that ESPN has posted right on their main page, so I didn't think it was an issue. I posted the direct link to the story, included the title and the name of the guy who wrote it. I've always done stuff that way, and it's never been an issue or caused an issue with anyone/anywhere, so I've always continued doing it that way, as long as it's an available to everyone story and not a story posted behind a paywall.

Hell, ESPN plagarizes all the time under the guise of "sources"...

Georgia Southern officially wants to play in FBS
    http://www.statesboroherald.com/sect...45643/preview/

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    Georgia Southern officially wants to play in FBS
    http://www.statesboroherald.com/sect...45643/preview/
    Great! Someone else to beat by 3 TDs.

I have some serious doubts about the actual chances of that happening. The ACC raised their exit fee to $50 million just a few months ago, and Big East bumped their exit fee up to $10 million. Unless the Big Ten ponies up money to help Maryland, I don't see them being able to afford and pay the $50 million to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Unless the Big Ten ponies up money to help Maryland, I don't see them being able to afford and pay the $50 million to leave.

under armour might help up

I have some serious doubts about the actual chances of that happening. The ACC raised their exit fee to $50 million just a few months ago, and Big East bumped their exit fee up to $10 million. Unless the Big Ten ponies up money to help Maryland, I don't see them being able to afford and pay the $50 million to leave.
    Timing sure is interesting. The CEO being a Maryland booster and having attended the school. Why just earlier this week...

http://m.bizjournals.com/baltimore/n...ng.html?r=full

Plank is selling the shares, a fraction of his stock in Under Armour (NYSE: UA), for asset diversification, tax and estate planning and charitable giving purposes, the filing said. The shares, if sold at Monday's closing price of $49.62, are worth $64.5 million.

As for Rutgers, they will be getting loans from Snookie and Jwoww.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    Timing sure is interesting. The CEO being a Maryland booster and having attended the school. Why just earlier this week...

http://m.bizjournals.com/baltimore/n...ng.html?r=full

Plank is selling the shares, a fraction of his stock in Under Armour (NYSE: UA), for asset diversification, tax and estate planning and charitable giving purposes, the filing said. The shares, if sold at Monday's closing price of $49.62, are worth $64.5 million.
    Interesting. Maybe something will come of it. Though the idiots should have tried to get out before the increase to $50 million.

Under Armour founder and Maryland uber-booster Kevin Plank is "100 percent" behind the Terrapins moving from the ACC to the Big Ten, a regent told ESPN on Sunday.

The University System of Maryland's Board of Regents will meet at 9 a.m. Monday to vote whether to accept an invitation to join the Big Ten Conference, a source told ESPN.

Plank is "heavily involved behind the scenes with board members," a regent told ESPN on Sunday. The source added that several of the 17 board members were "miffed" that they were not included in the process until the late stages, so the vote could be close.

Plank declined comment at Saturday's game but insisted he is not involved in Maryland's athletic decisions.

If Maryland goes from the ACC to the Big Ten, Rutgers of the Big East will then follow suit, a source said. The Rutgers announcement could be as early as Tuesday, sources said. The addition of Maryland and Rutgers would give the Big Ten 14 members as the league gears toward negotiations on a new media rights deal when its first-tier rights expire in 2017.

There is not a consensus among Maryland athletic department officials, a source said. The school is leaning toward the move but there is still time for the school to decide to stay in the ACC, according to the source.

Maryland president Wallace Loh has been handling the conversation with Big Ten officials, a source said.

One stumbling block for Maryland could be finances. Maryland's athletic department has recently dropped sports because of budget issues, and the ACC recently raised its exit fee to $50 million.

Maryland and Florida State were the only two of 12 schools that voted against a $50 million exit fee out of the ACC, but lost the vote. Loh was quoted in the Washington Post on Sept. 13 that he was against the hike from $20-50 million on "legal and philosophical" grounds. The Post reported that Loh said Maryland planned to be in the ACC for years to come.

A source told ESPN that the Big Ten has been itchy about further expansion since Notre Dame made its official move to the ACC two months ago in all sports other than football. The source said the Big Ten can justify Maryland and then possibly Rutgers since they are all contiguous states to the Big Ten footprint.

One source told ESPN that Loh and athletic director Kevin Anderson don't have ACC ties so there wouldn't be a strong emotional pull to stay with the conference. Loh is a former provost at Big Ten member Iowa.

However, the chancellor of the Maryland system, Brit Kirwan, has been on the Maryland campus for 30 years and has strong affiliation for being a charter member of the ACC, according to a source.

One source with Maryland ties said there is a strong affinity for the ACC and making the move to the Big Ten may not be a unanimous decision among the school's board of regents.

Rutgers' exit fee from the Big East would be less expensive. The buyout to leave the Big East is $10 million if the school provides 27 months' notice. However, the league has allowed West Virginia, Pitt and Syracuse to leave the league without honoring the 27-month requirement by paying a higher exit fee.

The addition of the two East Coast schools would dramatically stretch the Big Ten's footprint. With Maryland holding down the Beltway, Rutgers offering up the New York market and Penn State's strong eastern ties, the league has a solid anchor in the mid-Atlantic states.

Maryland and Rutgers also would make the nation's richest conference even wealthier. Last season, each Big Ten school received a record $24.6 million in shared revenue, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported. One source said the success of the Big Ten Network is an intriguing factor for Maryland.

If the two schools join the Big Ten, it would reopen what many thought was a stable time in the conference realignment process. The Big Ten joins the SEC as a legitimate 14-team superconference, while the ACC drops to 13 football members and likely will pursue another all-sports member to get back to 14. Connecticut would emerge as the most likely candidate to fill Maryland's spot in the ACC.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...en-move-monday
    Last edited by NatureBoy; 11-19-2012 at 12:04 AM.

So since it looks like it could be serious with Kevin Plank involved, first, how does this screw up Big Ten alignment? And second, how bad will Big East get screwed if Rutgers leaves and the ACC goes after UConn? Any future conference changes will probably involve thefts from the Big East. I used to not give a damn about the Big East, but with Navy joining in 2015, I've become invested in the future of the Big East.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    So since it looks like it could be serious with Kevin Plank involved, first, how does this screw up Big Ten alignment? And second, how bad will Big East get screwed if Rutgers leaves and the ACC goes after UConn? Any future conference changes will probably involve thefts from the Big East. I used to not give a damn about the Big East, but with Navy joining in 2015, I've become invested in the future of the Big East.
    If the ACC takes two, the Big East is dead.

Maryland Regents voted unanimously to approve a move to the B1G.

Maryland will join the Big Ten, effective 2014-15 season. BTN Expansion Special & UMD presser to air on BTN/BTN2Go at 2:30pm ET.
    http://twitter.com/BigTenNetwork/sta...63079052488705

This one is a shocker. I sure as heck didn't see this coming. Maryland was one of the original members of the Southern Conference that broke away to form the ACC. If I was Fla St, Clemson, Ga Tech and VT, I would get the heck out of the ACC asap.

More BTN.....great.....maybe they'll fucking spring for online streaming of games finally.....