Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Report: Sites saying PSN password reset exploited.

• Facebook
  • Display

Report: Sites saying PSN password reset exploited.

Hackers to Sony -

Last edited by CLW; 05-18-2011 at 12:02 PM.

I knew it. Something was going to happen. Not necessarily a new hacking incident taking down PSN, but I knew something to some extent would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    I knew it. Something was going to happen. Not necessarily a new hacking incident taking down PSN, but I knew something to some extent would happen.
    Yeah hackers are clearly MILES ahead of Sony's security people. This is going to KILL them in the PR game if more personal info is exposed in < a week after allegedly fixing it.

Apparently you only need two pieces of info to reset it on Sony's site...the account e-mail and the birthdate. All which would have been gathered during the original attack that gathered account info. They need to just shut it down to registering through the PS3 or getting and e-mail sent to your account.

Yeah fortunately this only affects websites, not online gaming. So it's not the big deal that people (especially 360 fanboys) are making it out to be.

Yeah, they just need to shutdown the resetting passwords through the website and they will be fine. If this is all the hackers have been able to do since the network has been up then I'm happy. Also whoever keeps hacking Sony is an idiot...let us have our fun! Hack their damn retail site or something if you wanna hack anything lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    OMG! Good thing I have L.A. Noire and Uncharted 2 to work on!!

UPDATE: Sony also reiterated that only the login site is down and not the entire PSN in a tweet, “Clarification: this maintenance doesn’t affect PSN on consoles, only the website you click through to from the password change email."

That said, “[users] will still be able to sign into PSN via your PlayStation 3 and PSP devices to connect to game services and view Trophy/Friends information,” according to Sony.
    Last edited by DariusLock; 05-18-2011 at 12:14 PM.

PSN is not down. I just checked my own console and I'm still signed in.

As I understand it, they've only disabled the ability to sign into certain PS sites, specifically to be able to reset your password on the web.

Yeah you guys are right the article is misleading. But further down it notes PS3 still works but everything else is down. Over/Under before it is also down = 48 hours

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Yeah fortunately this only affects websites, not online gaming. So it's not the big deal that people (especially 360 fanboys) are making it out to be.
    See, that's the thing I'm shaking my head at. All the 360 fanboy idiots who have been laughing at Sony for all of this. I have no idea what Xbox/Microsoft's security is like (being MS, I'd hope it's real damn good), but you never know with hackers. It could be only a matter of time before hackers target the MS/Live and this same thing happens to us 360 users. I wonder if the fanboys will be still laughing then.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Attached Images Attached Images

If people weren't so "OMG, I need mah PSN rite na!!!!," Sony could have put more time into getting it where it needed to be before putting it back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Yeah you guys are right the article is misleading. But further down it notes PS3 still works but everything else is down. Over/Under before it is also down = 48 hours
    I don't think it goes down due to this... I think they just simply add additional steps in resetting your password such as having to verify via email and/or verify more information than just your birthday such as maybe most recent purchase or something like that.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    If people weren't so "OMG, I need mah PSN rite na!!!!," Sony could have put more time into getting it where it needed to be before putting it back up.
    3 weeks wasn't enough time? That's just plain incompetence if it isn't. Who do they have working for them? Jesus christ, as big of a company as they are, they should have been on top of this stuff in a week, at the most.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    3 weeks wasn't enough time? That's just plain incompetence if it isn't. Who do they have working for them? Jesus christ, as big of a company as they are, they should have been on top of this stuff in a week, at the most.
    I agree, I wasn't one bitching to get it back up as I wanted it to be secure before it came back up. But they should have been able to secure it in 3 weeks, either that or hire some new people

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Apparently, it wasn't. What's the old saying? Anything worth doing is worth doing right? The had to rebuild it from the ground up and I'm sure that takes more then 3 weeks to do. And even though Sony is a mega corporation, it's not like they have millions of programmers working around the clock. I rather it take 3 months and be right then have a rushed product in 3 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    See, that's the thing I'm shaking my head at. All the 360 fanboy idiots who have been laughing at Sony for all of this. I have no idea what Xbox/Microsoft's security is like (being MS, I'd hope it's real damn good), but you never know with hackers. It could be only a matter of time before hackers target the MS/Live and this same thing happens to us 360 users. I wonder if the fanboys will be still laughing then.
    What gets me are certain fanboys on Twitter that get sensitive for being called a fanboy and saying they're critical of MS too, but you see on Twitter they're clearly not when EVERY SINGLE LITTLE THING wrong with PSN is blown out of proportion with them, and then they RT every negative comment about PSN that is @ replied to these people. I won't name names, but CDJ knows exactly who I'm talking about

This won't have anything to do with PSN IMO. This is an added incidient to the original hack.