Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• Facebook
  • Display

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

The first details of the game have been leaked.

In two weeks Activision planned to announce Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 officially, but the cat is out of the bag and it has brought a staggering amount of information, release date, details on game modes, pictures, audio dialogue, and even campaign spoilers.

Here are the important things to know about Modern Warfare 3 without spoilers. If you feel like you want to go into the game without any prior knowledge then this would be the time to turn back.

Release date: November 8th 2011

Multiplayer: Up to 20 playable maps (might change before retail shipping)

Game will start where the last game left off and will have players traveling around the world including Paris, London, and NYC.

New characters who appear to be destined for future Modern Warfare games, especially two Delta Force operatives codenamed "Frost" and "Sandman".

Game modes: Spec Ops mission mode and Spec Ops Survival mode, which is described as waves of enemies at an increased difficulty during progression.
    Courtesy: Stick Skills

Visit Stick Skills for some concept art from the game

I'll play it, but more excited for Gears of War 3, NCAA, etc. CoD has gotten ridiculous to appease the hyperactive Mountain Dew kiddies.

I've already put in 24 hours into the Gears beta...maybe two hours in CoD: Black Ops online?

Survival mode =

I'll definitely play the hell out of that regardless of how everything else is.

I'm already burned out on Gears 3. If they don't patch the two new weapons, I'm not even going to buy it.

I will agree with IOU on this one, if nothing else COD has mastered the survival, zombie game modes. Everything else fails at an alarming epic proportion.

...the we've been leaked so we have to put something out video

Black Ops is a lot more fun when you play with a group of people like yourself and then you mute the rest of the room! I usually don't play unless it's a full team or by myself...one pillow, no pillow case. Woke up, took a nap, went back to sleep...you ever been night night?

It looks so good, I want it, and I want it now!!!

This probably won't be as good as Battlefield 3, but I'll be buying both!

Fucking wowzers....

Not really into the online style of CoD. By this time, I should still be pretty engrossed in GoW3....but in terms of a hype trailer, I dug it.

It's the equivalent to NCAA and Madden for me. Regardless of how good/bad it is, I'm buying it. I'm just really hoping they return to the roots with COD4. COD4 was single handily the best online shooter I ever played. There's also been murmurs of the game getting dedicated servers as well which would automatically improve things greatly.

Dedicated servers would probably include a fee to use them huh? Dedicated gaming servers are not a cheap thing...

Quote Originally Posted by DariusLock View Post
    Dedicated servers would probably include a fee to use them huh? Dedicated gaming servers are not a cheap thing...
    You forget how much money these fools have made over the years

Still though, they release like two map packs after they release the game when they probably already had the maps finished when they shipped the game. They are going to make as much money as they can just like any other company, who can blame them.

Quote Originally Posted by DariusLock View Post
    Still though, they release like two map packs after they release the game when they probably already had the maps finished when they shipped the game. They are going to make as much money as they can just like any other company, who can blame them.
    Not when millions of people spend $15 for their DLC.

More MW3 info from USA Today:

Get ready for another Modern Warfare thrill ride.

Based on two levels shown at an Activision pre-E3 event last week, Call of Duty is in good hands. That means more outlandish action for players when COD: Modern Warfare 3 lands Nov. 8 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PCs.

The level called "Black Tuesday" picks up the story of Delta, a special ops force deployed to New York City to help combat the Russian advance that has continued since wiping out Washington, D.C., in Modern Warfare 2. "At this point, Russia has invaded and taken control of the air space and has complete control of the harbor," says Michael Condrey, vice president and chief operating officer of Sledgehammer Games, which co-developed the game with Infinity Ward.

Your character is Derek "Frost" Westbrook, a U.S. Army Ranger and a Staff Sergeant in Delta. The action begins ominously when the Humvee he is in gets hit and Frost must extract himself. That done, Frost and Delta squad press forward through Manhattan to Wall Street, led by "Sandman," a Master Sergeant who "is sort of your Captain Price," says Infinity Ward creative strategist Robert Bowling.

The fighting goes to the floor of the Manhattan Stock Exchange where a rooftop-based radar jamming tower must be destroyed. "Taking that down is the first step in clearing airspace to allow the U.S. to begin to push Russia out," says Mark Rubin of Infinity Ward, the game's executive producer.

A new addition to the franchise is the dual scope for the M4 assault weapon, which allows for close combat and distance targetting on a single weapon. "As the situation changes or environment changes you can flip it up on the fly" by hiting left on D-pad on the Xbox 360 controller, Bowling says.

Fans of the series will also be rewarded with wielding an XM25 air burst grenade launcher, an experimental weapon being used in Afghanistan and costs about $1.5 million each. Delta is also armed with the latest nine-bang incendiary device. "That's most likely what (the assault team) carried into" Pakistan to capture Osama bin Laden, says Condrey, who previously helped develop Dead Space at Visceral Games.

Once the tower is brought down, Delta climbs aboard a chopper that is pursued in an aerial battle amongs the skyscapers. It's a more claustrophobic gun battle than the series' previous helicopter clashes and, despite a close call, the mission is a success. "One of the things we are trying to capture in that first scene is just the epic scale of urban warfare in an environment you haven't really seen before," Condrey says. "It is epic adventure action on a level that we haven't seen on this scale before. It starts at the ground level of Manhattan and it ends in the sky. You really get to see all of Manhattan."

The other action previewed takes place in London with the player taking the role of British SAS (Special Air Service) operators, which have appeared in both previous Modern Warfare games. "The SAS is a very different type of unit than Delta force in just the way they operate," Bowling says. "They have intelligence that has piqued the interest of the SAS that has come into the port of London that they want to just get eyes on. It's purely recon: let's figure out what this is and why it's here."

After dispensing with a smattering of surrounding protective forces, the squad gets to the particular box truck in question. When they open it, there's nothing inside. Suddenly, a new wave of attackers assaults them. The player must push them back toward a Metro subway station. As the enemies commandeer a subway train, your team hops into subway maintenance trucks and gives chase in the tunnel.

The moving gun battle results in a Mission Impossible-styled chase and crash with your truck struggling to avoid the careening train cars -- as seen in the trailer that hit the Net and NBA broadcasts earlier this week. "It's really a different feel of gameplay than we usually have were you are usually pushing through bad guys who are looking to stop you," Rubin says.

Another note to hard-core fans, he says, is that the SAS will be carrying MP5 submachine guns, a weapon from Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare that was cut from Modern Warfare 2. "That was a huge fan favorite in the game," Rubin says.

Many fans have wondered what effect the dismissal of Infinity Ward co-founders Jason West and Vince Zampella would have on the game's development. (See Game Hunters' past coverage of the rift and subsequent legal battle between Activision and the studio co-founders.)

Joining forces with Sledgehammer felt natural, Bowling says. "Being two studios with a similar attitude but from different perspectives allowed us to push each other," he says. "That's really where this game comes from."
    Courtesy: USA Today

MP5 is back!

From the Wall Street Journal:

Consumers are used to paying $60 each for videogames that run on consoles like the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Now the publisher behind the industry's biggest videogame franchise— "Call of Duty"—is about to find out whether it can get them to pay a monthly bill, too.

Activision Blizzard Inc. plans to launch an online service called Call of Duty Elite this fall that will work with the next major edition of the game, "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3," and future installments of the hyper-realistic combat-simulation game. In a move industry executives describe as a first, Activision plans to charge a monthly subscription fee for the service, which will provide extra content that isn't offered on game discs sold in stores, including downloadable map packs that give players new "Call of Duty" levels to play.

Activision executives said they haven't yet figured out how much to charge for the service, but they expect the cost to be less than fees for comparable online-entertainment services, such as a $7.99-a-month Netflix Inc. movie subscription.

Portions of the service will be free, including features inspired by Facebook Inc. that will let "Call of Duty" players meet for online gun battles with others who share various affiliations and interests.

Another feature of the service will give "Call of Duty" players tools, modeled on those from stock-trading websites, to analyze their performance within the game, gauging factors such as which weapons have been most successful for them in killing enemies.
    The plan—which comes a week ahead of the videogame industry's big E3 trade show in Los Angeles—is a potentially risky bet by Activision that it can further milk profits from consumers, who could feel the $60 they spend on "Call of Duty" in stores is enough. Charging a monthly subscription fee is more common for multiplayer games that run on personal computers. The most successful of those is "World of Warcraft," a fantasy game from Activision's Blizzard division that has over 11 million subscribers, who typically pay $15 a month for the service.
    Read the full article here.

EDIT - More from Stick Skills.
    Last edited by cdj; 05-30-2011 at 09:30 PM.