Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backbreaker 2: Vengeance - Summer 2011 (XBLA)

• Facebook
  • Display

Backbreaker 2: Vengeance - Summer 2011 (XBLA)

Joystiq has posted an article discussing a new image posted in the BackBreaker forums that suggest a follow-up to BackBreaker may be coming.

It could be a console sequel to Backbreaker, either original or adapted from the iOS Backbreaker 2: Vengeance (which makes sense given the tagline on the image), but the forumites all arrived pretty quickly at the idea that it could be an Xbox Live Arcade/PSN title based on the "Tackle Alley" mode, which tasks players with getting past a line of defenders.

When NaturalMotion is ready to tackle an official announcement, it said, it'll do so on the Backbreaker Facebook page.
    Courtesy: Joystiq

I'd be down for that. Tackle Alley was the only good part of the game.

Yep that was a fun mode.

Now the Oxford, England and San Francisco-based company is teasing a Backbreaker Xbox Live Arcade sequel, dubbed Backbreaker Vengeance on the game's official Facebook page. The sequel is slated for a summer release.

Good to see that NaturalMotion is sticking to its guns in terms of screwing over American PlayStation 3 owners:

Link: http://www.pastapadre.com/2011/06/22...ives-next-week

Today NaturalMotion announced that Backbreaker: Vengeance is set to release Wednesday June 29th on Xbox Live Arcade. A timed exclusive for the Xbox 360 it will follow for the PS3 sometime this summer. Despite the release news and being only a week away the company did not reveal the price.

Based on the ‘Tackle Alley’ mini-game and popular mobile version of the same name that introduced a defensive mode and obstacles, Backbreaker: Vengeance features three modes with 70 challenges that will total 350 waves. Tackle Alley, Vengeance (defense), and Supremacy (obstacles) but unfortunately there is no form of online play to go along with that.

Update: Natural Motion has released an updated statement that will be no US release for the PS3 contradicting their previous statements.

“Backbreaker Vengeance will be available in PAL territories on PSN and XBLA however, in North America the game will only be available on XBLA. This is very unfortunate, but it is beyond our control and we would have liked for the PlayStation version to be available worldwide.”
    I really can't dream up a set of circumstances which would have allowed for the game to be released on PSN in Europe but not in America. But after the PS3 demo for the original Backbreaker was delayed three weeks after the Xbox 360 demo came out--and European gamers got the demo a week earlier than US gamers--I guess it's not surprising.

At a decent price point, I might have given this a shot; oh well.

I like to take a nice Natural Motion after a big breakfast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Paakaa10 View Post
    Good to see that NaturalMotion is sticking to its guns in terms of screwing over American PlayStation 3 owners:

I really can't dream up a set of circumstances which would have allowed for the game to be released on PSN in Europe but not in America. But after the PS3 demo for the original Backbreaker was delayed three weeks after the Xbox 360 demo came out--and European gamers got the demo a week earlier than US gamers--I guess it's not surprising.

At a decent price point, I might have given this a shot; oh well.
    One of the BB devs posted this on twitter:

BB Vengeance on PS3: we'd love to bring you the game in the US, but it’s down to SCEA. Nothing to do with money or exclusivity.
    It sounds like they are putting some pressure (blame?) on Sony for whatever the circumstances are.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    It sounds like they are putting some pressure (blame?) on Sony for whatever the circumstances are.
    It just doesn't make any sense to me. Sure, Backbreaker didn't light up the charts in the US on PS3; I'm sure it did even worse in Europe, however. I'm just finding it really hard to conceptualize the scenario where a game based on the sport of American football gets the green light in PAL territories--where the sport is almost universally derided--and doesn't get the go-ahead in the country where the sport is king amongst the professional and collegiate landscape.

I'd say maybe the PSN outage was a problem and contributed, but since the PSN issue was worldwide it doesn't explain why the game would still be available to PAL gamers.

Just can't imagine why SCEA would turn down the game when they presumably make decent bank on games downloaded through the service.

All I can think is that this is Sony's way of sticking it to NM for wanting to do a timed exclusive deal with Microsoft.

So what are they getting Vengeance for? Putting out a shitty game

I'll get this because like others have said...Tackle Alley was the only cool thing about this game.

I might have to try to get a European PSN card again, or just get it on PS3....haven't decided yet.

BB was so bad. I can't believe I put in the time and effort to get the platinum on that. Looks like not too many other people did, only 6% of the people who played it got the platinum.

Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    BB was so bad. I can't believe I put in the time and effort to get the platinum on that. Looks like not too many other people did, only 6% of the people who played it got the platinum.
    I got it for $10 on Target clearance...only played it once. May come back to it some day to whore some trophies...won't ever plat it though.

I played the demo and then deleted it shortly thereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    I got it for $10 on Target clearance...only played it once. May come back to it some day to whore some trophies...won't ever plat it though.
    If you want the platinum, you better get to it soon. There's a trophy for winning 20 online games. I boosted that with one of the other 8 guys that has the platinum the day after it came out.

I tried it legitimately, and after 5 games of getting up big only to watch my opponent quit(which means the game doesn't count), I realized it was impossible to get it legitimately. A terribly developed game is a terribly developed game, what else can you say?

I remember all the EA haters saying this game was going to put them out of business

Yeah, I had a hard laugh at that. There's STILL people that say it's better than NCAA/Madden. Now, don't get me wrong here, I haven't been a fan of a single NCAA Football game this generation yet. I loved Madden 11, but that's the only Madden I've enjoyed so far. However, while NCAA this generation would be about a 6 or a 7, IMO, Backbreaker may be one of the worst games of not only this generation, but of all time. An utterly horrible excuse for a game as far as I'm concerned. I literally can not say enough negative things about it. The camera is laughably stupid, the AI is horrendous, the lack of plays is insulting, no announcing(we want players to feel like they're in the game...LOL...no, you just didn't want to put it in there), etc...

Honestly, it IS the worst game I've ever played, even more so than Terminator Salvation and WET.

Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    Honestly, it IS the worst game I've ever played, even more so than Terminator Salvation.
    That game sucked but I plat'd that.

Man, I thought there were far worse games than T: Salvation.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinWolv View Post
    Man, I thought there were far worse games than T: Salvation.
    There are, WET and BackBreaker.

Never played WET, was going to try it sometime.