Thread: LG vs. Sony (Blu-Ray Copyright Battle)

• Facebook
  • Display

LG vs. Sony (Blu-Ray Copyright Battle)

Looks like LG got a small victory

The struggle between hardware manufacturing juggernauts Sony and LG -- the latter of which claims that the PS3 infringes on a number of its patents relating to Blu-ray technology -- has finally drawn some blood. The civil court of justice in the Hague has granted LG a preliminary injunction for customs to seize and confiscate all PS3s coming into Europe (from manufacturing plants, etc.) for up to ten days. The Guardian reports that the collected consoles are temporarily being kept in Dutch warehouses until the case moves forward.

According to the Guardian, retailers are expected to have enough PS3s to last two to three weeks. Sony has the right to file an appeal to the patents office -- but far more than some boxed-up consoles collecting dust is on the line. Should the court ultimately rule in favor of LG, the console maker would be forced to compensate the company for every single PS3 sold around the world. We've contacted Sony for a comment.

Eww. This could be really bad for Sony.

Meh Sony and LG are trading lawsuits left and right right now. I know Sony sued LG for the same thing with phones I believe it was. I suspect the lawsuits will magically disappear and Sony and LG will head their separate ways.

EDIT: In other words, the only people that are going to "win" in this legal battle are the lawyers representing LG and Sony.

Despite this fact you non-lawyers keep running to us screaming bloody murder about every little slight (both real and perceived). Oh well keeps me gainfully employed.
    Last edited by CLW; 02-28-2011 at 02:47 PM.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Holy cow. That's gonna be quite a bit of money coming from Sony's pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by clw View Post
    meh sony and lg are trading lawsuits left and right right now. I know sony sued lg for the same thing with phones i believe it was. I suspect the lawsuits will magically disappear and sony and lg will head their separate ways.

Edit: In other words, the only people that are going to "win" in this legal battle are the lawyers representing lg and sony.

Despite this fact you non-lawyers keep running to us screaming bloody murder about every little slight (both real and perceived). Oh well keeps me gainfully employed.

This is why I despise the entire system of patents.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud