Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why don't more games have Online Career Mode?

• Facebook
  • Display

Why don't more games have Online Career Mode?

Obviously NCAA does and has had it for a couple of years. Madden just got it this year.

But I know games like Tiger Woods and NHL don't have it, any particular reasons? Also are there other games that do have it? Nascar, MLB?

I do think one thing with games like NHL where there are a lot of games and multiple in a week, advances might be a little tricky since advancing after everyday would be cumbersome, but surely they could figure something out.

You're exactly right....tuning it for a weekly advance is easier than sports with a daily scheudle.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    You're exactly right....tuning it for a weekly advance is easier than sports with a daily scheudle.
    Yeah they could still do a weekly advance and everyone just has to play that weeks games.....the only thing would injuries or trades and I think that is probably a huge reason why. Now for a game like Nascar or TW, I don't see why it couldn't be done.

I've really wished they'd do a NCAA Basketball one but with that series pretty much dead I don't ever see that happening.

Another major reason is each dev cycle, you have a certain amount of cost that you have to implement and tune and make changes. The addition of this would be at a high cost.

I wouldn't mess with online Be a GM on NHL unless it was with 1 or 2 close friends. Otherwise, it seems like an incredible headache.

Yeah I sure as hell don't want to be in a 32-team league like Madden. I would rather be in one with maybe 6-8 at the most, for both NHL and NBA.

Oh yeah, no way you could do every team. But 6-8 or 12 people like the NCAA dynasties would be awesome.

Edit - Especially in the playoffs... that would be awesome to battle through the playoffs.

I think the one I really, really want is TW. I'd love to play in tourneys especially the US Open or the Masters against people I know and climb the leaderboards for the #1 spot.

I would like to see it done, be cool for NHL, NCAA Hoops and TW

Injuries would be a problem and I, personally, don't want to play without them.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Injuries would be a problem and I, personally, don't want to play without them.
    Not necessarily... you would just have to be required to play the games in the order they are scheduled.

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    Not necessarily... you would just have to be required to play the games in the order they are scheduled.
    Right but that would mean an advance after every day, which could be very long and cumbersome. If they did a weekly advance and everyone just had to get that weeks games in and then you could advance then injuries would be an issue.

Yeah I don't think a weekly advance would work within the NHL and NBA game infrastructure. Even in golf since there are multiple rounds, but that might be easier.

Quote Originally Posted by psuexv View Post
    Right but that would mean an advance after every day, which could be very long and cumbersome. If they did a weekly advance and everyone just had to get that weeks games in and then you could advance then injuries would be an issue.
    Not necessarily. Let's say I've got the following schedule in a College Basketball game:

Monday vs HUMa opponent
    Wednesday vs CPU opponent
    Saturday vs HUMb opponent

In the above case, I would have to play HUMa opponent before playing either other game.
    After that game, when I go to play my CPU game, it would check to see if the CPU team had an HUM opponents prior to playing me in that week. If the CPU team only had CPU opponents, it would use my console to sim all of that CPU team's games up to that point in the week and save the results. Then I would play against the CPU team. If the CPU team had HUM opponents, it would tell me I would have to wait until the CPU's HUM opponent game had been played and I could be notified when it's ready for me.
    Then I could play my HUMb opponent assuming he had played all of his games for the week upto that point.

At the end of the week, the commissioner would advance and any games that weren't played would be simmed.

Not necessarily. Let's say I've got the following schedule in a College Basketball game:

Monday vs HUMa opponent

In the above case, I would have to play HUMa opponent before playing either other game.
    After that game, when I go to play my CPU game, it would check to see if the CPU team had an HUM opponents prior to playing me in that week. If the CPU team only had CPU opponents, it would use my console to sim all of that CPU team's games up to that point in the week and save the results. Then I would play against the CPU team. If the CPU team had HUM opponents, it would tell me I would have to wait until the CPU's HUM opponent game had been played and I could be notified when it's ready for me.
    Then I could play my HUMb opponent assuming he had played all of his games for the week upto that point.

At the end of the week, the commissioner would advance and any games that weren't played would be simmed.
    Having read that I feel like Austin Powers explaining time travel

Monday vs HUMa opponent

I like it, not sure if they can program it though.

One thing I just thought of you almost have to consider CPU opponents that play each other and both teams play a human opponent as well. Say I'm the Celts and I play the Bulls on a Wednesday(in game day). You are Miami and have to play Orlando(CPU) on Monday. What if Orlando and the Bulls play each other in that week also but say Tuesday. If I played my game before you, that Bulls Magic game would get simmed and say Howard went down. That game should have technically been played after your game so Howard should be playing in your game.

Does this even make any sense.

I like it, not sure if they can program it though.

One thing I just thought of you almost have to consider CPU opponents that play each other and both teams play a human opponent as well. Say I'm the Celts and I play the Bulls on a Wednesday(in game day). You are Miami and have to play Orlando(CPU) on Monday. What if Orlando and the Bulls play each other in that week also but say Tuesday. If I played my game before you, that Bulls Magic game would get simmed and say Howard went down. That game should have technically been played after your game so Howard should be playing in your game.

Does this even make any sense.
    No, in your scenario, you wouldn't be able to play until after I've already played my game versus Orlando. After I've played it, you would start your game and it would sim the Orlando vs Chicago game.

It would suck because it would slow you down when you're wanting to play but that's about the only way you could do it.

No, in your scenario, you wouldn't be able to play until after I've already played my game versus Orlando. After I've played it, you would start your game and it would sim the Orlando vs Chicago game.

It would suck because it would slow you down when you're wanting to play but that's about the only way you could do it.
    Right, so the system would have to scan all games CPU vs CPU, HUM vs HUM, and HUM vs CPU and look for commonalities and tell you if you can play. You start adding a bunch of teams and you're going to be really slow. The programming for it would be nuts.

I'd love it if they can make it happen though.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Right, so the system would have to scan all games CPU vs CPU, HUM vs HUM, and HUM vs CPU and look for commonalities and tell you if you can play. You start adding a bunch of teams and you're going to be really slow. The programming for it would be nuts.

I'd love it if they can make it happen though.
    I don't think it would be that bad. G's explanation of how to get it to work sounds fine to me. It would just require the games to go back to a central hub that houses the Online Dynasty and constantly keep that centralized hub up to date (being updated anytime someone played a game against the CPU, a human player, or the commish advanced the week).

It's really no different than what NCAA's ODs do, just having to do it more often with people playing multiple games.

I think 2k could very easily pull it off with great success (if they can ever get their Online servers working properly to begin with).

Quote Originally Posted by psuexv
    Why don't more games have Online Career Mode?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ All of this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud