Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gears of War 3 (360)

• Facebook
  • Display

Gears of War 3 (360)

More info expected later today, but here are a few pieces of info courtesy a press release from Microsoft:

· An enthralling cinematic story that captivates players in an intimately intense action game

· Five-on-five multiplayer experience as well as four player campaign co-op experience

· New multiplayer game modes including ‘Beast Mode’ – offering a new twist to the game where you take on the role of the locust horde and their assorted variations!

· New maps including: Trenches which features an impressive sand storm that reduces your visibility, as well as Overpass, Mercy, Checkout, and Thrashball

· New weapons including: The Bayonet Charge, The Retro Lancer, The Sawed-off Shotgun, The OneShot – a heavy sniper rifle that shoots through shields or cover for a surprise one shot kill, The Incendiary Grenade, The Digger Launcher and a few subtle tweaks to old favourites Hammerburst and The Classic Lancer. Don’t forget that each weapon now has its own execution move!

First, Gears of War fans learn of the release date of the franchise's third chapter. Now, more details on the upcoming multiplayer beta have surfaced.

Microsoft announced the Gears of War 3 beta will launch for Xbox 360 in mid-April, and offer access to three Versus modes across four maps.

It's not clear what game modes players will get to tackle, but Epic Games is letting fans pick two of the four maps in a poll posted on Facebook.

Here's a brief description from Gamespot of the four maps eligible for vote in the Facebook poll:

Overpass, which lets players hole up in an elevated position with heavy weapons; Old Town, a team-focused map with a large supply dump; Mercy, which features a large open square; and Trenches, which features a maze of locust positions caught in a sandstorm.

Voting ends on February 28. Copies of the Epic Edition of first-person shooter Bulletstorm feature access to the Gears of War 3 beta. The game launches on September 20.
    Courtesy: USA Today

This is the absolutely only multiplayer shooter I'll need for the rest of this generation of consoles. Good thing, after the uber mega disappointments of KZ3 and S4, I was beginning to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    This is the absolutely only multiplayer shooter I'll need for the rest of this generation of consoles. Good thing, after the uber mega disappointments of KZ3 and S4, I was beginning to worry.
    ...until you get your hands on the beta and denounce it

Not a chance. Epic Games is one of the few developers of online shooters left that doesn't care about Call of Duty and genuinely focuses on making a game that their FANS will appreciate. Guerrilla Games and Zipper are two studios that could definitely take lessons on how to do that. If you watch some of the beta footage that has been released so far, it looks like a much tighter, much more fluid and smoothly flowing Gears, which is 100% exactly what the fans of the series want.

By the way, it was announced earlier today that everyone with an XBL Gold account will have access to the beta mid April. People who bought BS will get earlier access, although no mention of exactly how early.

More demo details:

• Three multiplayer modes will be included in the beta: Team Deathmatch, King of the Hill, & Capture the Leader.
    • Four new maps will be included in the beta, two of which you can vote on.
    • Gamers who play 90 or more matches in the beta will earn a special gold retro lancer that will carry over to the full game.
    • Gamers who play 70 matches in the beta will unlock the ability to use Cole in his Thrashball uniform in the game. Play thirteen more matches with Cole and you'll have the variant for good in the retail version.
    • Both Chairman Prescott & Queen Myrrah will be playable characters in the beta.
    Courtesy: Stick Skills

Box Art:

Sexiest box art ever? I think so.

Beta starts April 18 for owners of BS Epic Edition, 25th for everyone with a Gold account. Ends May 15th.

I like the bonuses you get for the # of matches you compete in for the beta. Nothing spectacular, but they thought ahead on giving out a thank you for participating.

Some beta game play. I reserved this at GameStop, so I'll be in the beta starting on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Some beta game play. I reserved this at GameStop, so I'll be in the beta starting on Monday.
    I did the exact same thing. Saw the thing on Gamestop about beta access if you preordered so I went and got one in, got my email with the access code back on Friday.

Beta starts April 18 for owners of BS Epic Edition, 25th for everyone with a Gold account. Ends May 15th.
    By the way this isn't right for the 25th...only GameStop preorders....

All gold members getting access isn't true.

Yup, it was originally supposed to be everyone, but it got switched to only Gamestop preorders getting access on the 25th.

I've had it for about a week now. Anyone else play it? It's absolutely unbelievable how good it is.

Yup, it was originally supposed to be everyone, but it got switched to only Gamestop preorders getting access on the 25th.

I've had it for about a week now. Anyone else play it? It's absolutely unbelievable how good it is.
    It was a bummer.....but no prob I just went to GameStop and forked over a $5 spot

It was a bummer.....but no prob I just went to GameStop and forked over a $5 spot
    For some reason gamestop sent me a code for the beta and I didn't preorder...i'm not complaining

Damn, almost completely forgot about my beta code for today. I've been so busy with Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 since last Tuesday that I didn't even realize that today was the 25th until I saw the code from Gamestop sitting in my email while doing some inbox cleaning.

Mine is sitting right within reach on my coffee table waiting to be used at 4:45pm

Mine is sitting right within reach on my coffee table waiting to be used at 4:45pm
    Nice. Mine's already downloaded, a very nice, small, short download. Just finding a good stopping point in AC2 then jumping into in the action.

You're in for a surprise. It's a small download followed by a much larger game update, and it goes slow as hell for some reason.