Thread: Help ! PS3 Red light of death- suggestions please

• Facebook
  • Display

Help ! PS3 Red light of death- suggestions please

letting it cool for now. Unplugging it etc.

any other input please in case it doesnt work ?

Bummer my man, I dont think there is too much you can do, a quick google search pulled up somethings you can try but nothing seemed concrete.

I know it's alot to digest and it seems intimidating, but this works. I have done it at least a dozen times. On my own ps3, after it ylod'd for a second time (repair lasted about 3 or 4 months), I fixed it a second time, bought a new one, and transferred all of my data before trading the old one in.

http://playstationlifestyle.net/foru...ead.php?t=2376

Buy a 360.

Seriously, though, the only way to fix it is what steelersfan posted, or by sending it to Sony. If it's under warranty(one year), they will repair it for free. If not, it's $150.

So its not a permanent repair more like a temp patch?

It can be, but more or less it's just a temporary fix mostly used just to get data from one PS3 to another. I've heard of it lasting a long time, but it's not normally that effective.

What I did was sold my broken system on eBay for about $155 total (with shipping) and then bought a Slim, and since I already had a 320 GB hard drive in the old system, I sold the 250 GB HDD that came with the slim for about $65, so in the end, it cost me $100 out of pocket to get a new system.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    What I did was sold my broken system on eBay for about $155 total (with shipping) and then bought a Slim, and since I already had a 320 GB hard drive in the old system, I sold the 250 GB HDD that came with the slim for about $65, so in the end, it cost me $100 out of pocket to get a new system.
    you replaced and rebuilt ? it will be a while, but I may just pay a local guy to fix it. I would still want a new one thats backwards compatable....

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    I would still want a new one thats backwards compatable....
    "New one" plus "backwards compatible" doesn't exist. They stopped making backwards compatible systems years ago.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    "New one" plus "backwards compatible" doesn't exist. They stopped making backwards compatible systems years ago.
    there might be a hardly used one on craigslist or something. We arent talking 10 or 20 years here haha. This is a 6-7 year span. Making/causing the ps2 games to be useless is dumb IMO. i'm sure my ps2 lasted twice as long as this,..longer even.
    Last edited by ram29jackson; 02-12-2011 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    there might be a harly used one on craigslist or something.
    Just wanted to make sure you weren't going to literally look for a new one.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Just wanted to make sure you weren't going to literally look for a new one.
    i remember hearing they stopped making them before. But I still find it annoying and ridiculous to make it obsolete so quickly

The repair really is easy to do. As long as you keep yourself organized, you can do it. I bought a heat gun for 25 bucks and the Arctic Silver thermal paste is about 10 bucks at Radio Shack. If you try to do it, you don't need a a digital heat gun. Just make sure the one you get has a setting that is near what the video recommends. The one I got is a Black & Decker and I got it at Home Depot. You will only need a flux pen if you are attempting the repair on the same ps3 for a 3rd time. A flux pen is harder to come by. I got one from Grainger. I needed it because one guy's ps3 I repaired was giving me fits (loud fan) so I did it 3 times.

Also, I recommend 25-30 seconds as the time you heat each section of the motherboard instead of 15 like the video says. 25-30 works much better.

Happened to me brought it to a store in Toronto and it took 2 hours for them to fix only cost $50 as well

Quote Originally Posted by Boucher View Post
    Happened to me brought it to a store in Toronto and it took 2 hours for them to fix only cost $50 as well
    Yeah, the first time I did it, it took about 5 hours because I didn't know what I was doing and I had to watch the video. Now I can completely disassemble one in about 15 minutes and do the repair in 2 hours. 30 minutes of that is cooling time.

Quote Originally Posted by Boucher View Post
    good to know, I hope to do it soon because I really wanted to get into ncaa and apf 2k8