Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EA Sports Active 2

• Facebook
  • Display

EA Sports Active 2

My wife got it for Christmas and we started our own family group. I see 3 people here have it also so I created a group for us also. Hope you all join.

Group: TGTFitClub
    Password: TGTFit

I'll join when I get home from the holidays. Thanks for creating it!
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Today is my off day (My workout days are Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday) but I decided that I'm going to do light/easy workouts on my off days to get something in without it effecting my recovery from the hard workouts I do on my scheduled days.

I've wondered about this thing for some time now.

#1 Does it work?

#2 Is it "fun"?

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    I've wondered about this thing for some time now.

#1 Does it work?

#2 Is it "fun"?
    I think it's fun. You're not going to burn off a ton of calories but you get a good workout.

I enjoy it simply because of the variety. And I disagree with JB that you're not going to lose a ton ... it depends on what the alternative is. If you're normally a weight-lifter ... this probably isn't going to be enough of a workout for you. But if you normally do cardio, I think EA Active is very good. I know the first day I did cardio in the game, I was feeling it for over 24 hours.

Is #2 a big improvement over the first one?

It's a fair improvement, though if you have a Wii and the first one, I don't think it's necessary to get #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Is #2 a big improvement over the first one?
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    It's a fair improvement, though if you have a Wii and the first one, I don't think it's necessary to get #2.
    My wife has the EA Sports Active and EA Sports Active: More Workouts (both on the Wii) and she said EA Sports 2 for the PS3 is by far and away the best version. She hated the nunchuck strap on the leg, the flimsy motion detection at times (doing exercises that weren't getting recognized), and having to hold a Wii remote AND a dumbbell/resistance band in one hand. She likes the online feature (she's always comparing our workouts) and is excited about DLC being added instead of having to buy a whole new game like she would have to do on the Wii.

Side note: My glutes and hamstrings are really sore today from, I'm assuming, soccer goalkeeper (lunges). Workout #3 is tomorrow morning.

Ah, good point. I was only thinking about the content differences, not the actual hardware differences. Thanks!

Man, I never even knew they made EA Active 2 for the PS3. Is there a demo for it? How does it track your movements?

Man, I never even knew they made EA Active 2 for the PS3. Is there a demo for it? How does it track your movements?
    Not sure on a demo.

Tracks your movements by a dongle, two armbands and a leg band.

Just saw a demo. Didn't realize you had to strap on things to your arms so that makes a demo pretty much impossible. Not sure if I want to invest in this thing as the wife hasn't really gotten that much use out of the first one on the Wii.

Yeah, a demo would be utterly impossible

Yeah, a demo would be utterly impossible
    Not really...you could still do the exercises, it just wouldn't be tracking your moves, how many calories you've burned, etc.

You can't do any of the exercises without it tracking your movements. So they'd somehow have to turn that off ... I'd say that's practically impossible.

You can't do any of the exercises without it tracking your movements. So they'd somehow have to turn that off ... I'd say that's practically impossible.
    If it is doing reps timed automatically without tracking your movements...I would say it's less than impossible

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    If it is doing reps timed automatically without tracking your movements...I would say it's less than impossible
    I presume you mean "if they re-coded it to do reps timed automatically" ... and that's a big amount of effort for just a demo. So, practically impossible

Just saw a demo. Didn't realize you had to strap on things to your arms so that makes a demo pretty much impossible. Not sure if I want to invest in this thing as the wife hasn't really gotten that much use out of the first one on the Wii.
    It's a lot better on the PS3. Having your hands free for weights/bands is a bigger deal then it sounds. The movements are also tracked a whole lot better. I remember trying More Workouts (the 2nd one on Wii) and stopped after 1 workout because I was doing what the game instructed but it wasn't recognizing the movement of the nun-chuck. I didn't want to put up with that for another 5 1/2 weeks so it ended before it even really started.

I literally just finished my 4th workout and I was sweating like crazy. If you're interested in getting it, I'd make that recommendation.

For anyone thinking about picking this up, Newegg has it for $50 plus free shipping.