Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 11: The Show

• Facebook
  • Display

MLB 11: The Show

First Look from ESPN Video Games' Jon Robinson

The biggest change to the game comes with the addition of Pure Analog Control. That's right, buttons are about as hip these days as players wearing stirrups, so Sony has finally changed the control scheme for hitting, pitching, and throwing to be all analog based (although if you want to play old school and use buttons, you can still find last year's controls in the options menu).

"This is the feature everyone has wanted in our game for years, but we didn't want to do it until we could do it right," says longtime "MLB" producer Chris Gill as he sits down to demo the game for me inside Sony's San Diego studio. "People have been asking for a new way to play the game, and now everything you do, whether you're swinging the bat, throwing to first, or pitching the ball, it's all done with the right analog stick."

What this means is for hitting, gamers pull back on the stick to start the batter's stride, then push forward to swing the bat. This is all about timing as if you start your stride too early, pause, then swing, your stride will be off and you'll lose power. Start your stride too late, and you're going to be behind on the ball when you finally swing. It takes a few innings to get used to, but by my second game, I hit a few homers and felt comfortable enough to start really enjoying the new approach.

On top of the new control scheme, "MLB 11: The Show" also features a fun new co-op mode that can be played both online and offline. Co-op can be 1 vs. 2, 2 vs. 2, or even 2 vs. CPU, with online games using up to two consoles max, meaning if it's a four-player game, two players can be on one console playing against two players on another console. The game then enables each team's captain to assign duties for each showdown. For example, if I'm playing with a friend, I can choose to pitch every other inning and control the infield while he controls the outfield or I can change things up and have him pitch while I control all the fielding. When we're up to bat, we can alternate spots in the order or even choose to just have one player hit and one player pitch. There are so many options to choose from, you can really play this mode however you desire.

Think that's all that's been added to the game? Think again as the exhaustive list of improvements made to the "MLB: The Show" franchise also includes Move support for the game's home run derby mode, 3-D gameplay (all you need is a 3-D TV and glasses), and a camera editor that enables you to customize any pitching or batting camera to your own personal specifications. There are even the exact broadcast views for every MLB team so you can play the game as your favorite team from the exact same viewpoint you watch them play for real. Amazing.

Other highlights include Eric Karros joining the booth alongside Matt Vasgersian and Dave Campbell, completely redesigned stadium-specific jumbotrons, and dynamic rain and cloud coverage that not only takes into account stadium location, but the wet field will now affect the on-field results. There's even a new fake throw system that enables fielders to fake like they're throwing the ball to a certain base in hopes of catching an aggressive runner on another base off guard (simply press throw twice to pull off the fake).

For online sports fans, the team at Sony admits to past trouble when it comes to playing their game over the PlayStation Network, but say they are doing everything in their power to ensure a better, smoother, and lag-free experience for "MLB 11." "We've been working a lot on online," adds senior producer Jason Villa, "and right now with our testing it's as close to offline play as it gets. We're going to continue to improve the stability as much as we can. Some people will tell us they have great connections, others don't, and it's hard to determine what the cause is. You never really know until you ship and get out on the shelves, but believe me, we're doing our best to make sure it's as good as we can possibly get it."

Other online improvements include flexible divisions in leagues (2, 4, or 6), custom roster support for league play, and the ability for commissioners to set AI controlled teams so that you can play in a league with 30 teams even if you only have a handful of human players. Commissioners also have the new ability to simulate or reset games to help advance the league. In addition, there's a new XP system that will grant XP points whether gamers win or lose online. The winner will now get 75% while the loser gets 25% of the points, and Sony hopes this alleviates the problem of competitors simply pulling the plug on online games once they fall behind. Winning percentage will also play a factor in your skill rank and help determine whether you're a rookie, veteran, or legend, not just your overall XP value (so don't automatically assume someone with 5,000 points is brilliant at the game, look at their win percentage).

Meh I don't like the analog stick hitting aspect. I might not actually pick this title up for the first time in 3 years.

I liked it on NCAA Baseball.....but I just don't enjoy playing baseball games like I used to.

Yeah I think I am over buying this only to play half a season before I am through with it. I might re pick up 10 once this comes out though. I can never play an entire season just too damn long, plus even if I do I have NEVER played more than 1.5 seasons.

Baseball games always seem fun to me and while I realize The Show is great, I don't get my money's worth from baseball games. On the original Ken Griffey baseball I played 3.5 full seasons or so, and then I had another SNES baseball game that I played seasons on, I forget the name. Part of my problem now is that I am not a huge baseball fan like I was back then plus The Show may almost be too hardcore in some ways. That and my batting eye is terrible.

What do you guys think of the co-op mode they mentioned? I'm not sure how well it will go over when it's only two consoles max, whereas Madden OTP allows six consoles. If it doesn't have some sort of stat tracking or league for their co-op, it might struggle to do as well as Madden OTP and that was hurt by the lack of stat tracking, etc. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    What do you guys think of the co-op mode they mentioned? I'm not sure how well it will go over when it's only two consoles max, whereas Madden OTP allows six consoles. If it doesn't have some sort of stat tracking or league for their co-op, it might struggle to do as well as Madden OTP and that was hurt by the lack of stat tracking, etc. IMO.
    I am NOT (nor will I EVER) be interested in any form of a co-op mode. IMHO, the reason The Show didnt do multi-consoles is b/c they have had some serious connection issues in a game where timing is everything. I haven't played The Show much online this year but I did at 1st and the connections were horrible for me making online play almost unplayable.

This series has been unbelieveable but you are right for some reason it doesn't get the play it should for me. The season is a GRIND (just like real life) and I lose interest by the time I hit the all-star break and NCAA and Madden come out.

I love the addition of analog controls and customizable camera angles. I passed on the Show 10 because it just felt stale and I loved the analog controls of MLB 2K10 despite some serious flaws the game had. It was still fun. Probably going back to the Show 11 this year. CLW - analog controls are all optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I love the addition of analog controls and customizable camera angles. I passed on the Show 10 because it just felt stale and I loved the analog controls of MLB 2K10 despite some serious flaws the game had. It was still fun. Probably going back to the Show 11 this year. CLW - analog controls are all optional.
    I read that the analog stuff was optional. #1 I doubt it will be for online play unless you can find "unranked" games so that pretty much eliminates the random online play. #2 if the analog controls is the big thing this yr (and im sure it is) I'd be paying $60 for a roster update. IMHO, thats just not worth the $60 for a game I probably won't even finish a full season of.

I never finish a full season. I've played over 100 games a couple times and I think that's pretty darn good.

Hmmmm....they're bringing in aspects I loved on NCAA Baseball....I may give it one more shot.

Not really excited about the co-op, just pumped that you can actually do an online franchise and auto-fill the other teams with the AI. THANK YOU!

Baseball has one big advantage over football as it's so much easier to input cpu AI. Baseball only has 9 fielders and most of the time the play only involves a couple of them with obvious programming. I've never played baseball online but do remember playing against my brothers at home. I would think playing the cpu is more fun than playing online as the cpu plays very sim and smart. With the cpu's football AI still being relatively poor I can see why guys love OD and online play but I'm not sure how popular online franchises are for baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Baseball has one big advantage over football as it's so much easier to input cpu AI. Baseball only has 9 fielders and most of the time the play only involves a couple of them with obvious programming. I've never played baseball online but do remember playing against my brothers at home. I would think playing the cpu is more fun than playing online as the cpu plays very sim and smart. With the cpu's football AI still being relatively poor I can see why guys love OD and online play but I'm not sure how popular online franchises are for baseball.
    IMHO, MLB games just don't lend themselves to online dynasty formats. The season is so...... damn long. IF you were to do a "sim" franchise and had a 24 hour deadline to play a game you MIGHT get through 2 seasons. I suppose there are hardcore The Show forums out there just like we hvae here for NCAA but even here I'm generally unaware of anyone advancing every 24 hours with a 12 team OD.

In online baseball leagues, my experience has been that people complain and get upset about style of play way more than you see in NCAA/Madden leagues. People pitch too much outside, too aggressive on the bathpaths, difficulty getting schedules to match up vs. humans, etc. You can have some really great times playing baseball online, but also some terrible experiences.

Users just throw balls all day long trying to get you to chase and it normally works. Playing CPU a lot more fun IMO than playing my brother.

The MLB: The Show Community manager Russell Ramone posted this on OS:

This is a very very late addition/change to MLB 11 The Show. Kolbe and Jeff Ulman, one of our senior AI programmers, went into the cave this past weekend and re-wrote a massive amount of code for trades and off-season logic for franchise mode.

Sweet. I pre-ordered this the other day