Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Universe Online (PS4; PS3, PC)

• Facebook
  • Display

DC Universe Online (PS4; PS3, PC)

PS3 Gamers....want a beta code? (PS+ members will get one free as well.)

Just sign in or sign up at gamespot.com!

Once you DL the initial file, there is a 118 MB update and then in-game, it downloads a huge file that on my connection will take about 10 hours. Even on faster connections, that's still an overnight download.

Nope. that offer is done and over with. i got one today from ps but dont know how much time i will be on it for

I was going to download the HUGE update overnight, but fell asleep early and forgot to. Even with my decently fast connection it was going to take five hours.

It looks like it saves the file if you exit out of the download. Despite leaving it on overnight, it looks like it will take a couple nights for me to DL it.

Jesus. Screw that, then.

You probably have a faster connection than I do. While I have DSL, I'm just on the edge of even being capable of having it. It seems like most people it takes several hours, which isn't too bad if they leave it on for an evening or overnight.

Several hours to download to have a beta seems a bit ridiculous to me. I wont be doing it just due to the sheer amount of crap i have going on. Most likely I will be not playing any online for about a month. Ill be happy if i get 10 hours of gaming in the next month!

Quote Originally Posted by Violator View Post
    Several hours to download to have a beta seems a bit ridiculous to me. I wont be doing it just due to the sheer amount of crap i have going on. Most likely I will be not playing any online for about a month. Ill be happy if i get 10 hours of gaming in the next month!
    ok you twisted my arm...I'll take one for the team and play for you.

Played through about 30 mins or so last night. The superhero/villain creation is pretty cool, I felt like I had made a unique character. The only snag is you have to pick a name that no one has come up with (as with most MMOs). It only took me two tries to do that.

There are a lot of combat styles you can choose from. I have my "mentor" as Batman, and so most of my skill set is based off of him; however, my weapon style is a duel wield so the combat is pretty similar to God of War. I've leveled up to 2, and just gone through basic missions right now. Not sure if a monthly fee will justify a buy quite yet. Then again bein in the beta, I may not really have a need to get the game once it comes out.

One more thing when you got to load into the universe, don't be discouraged by the "wait time". When I first got in it said I was around 200th in line and the estimated wait was 14 hours to get in and play. In actuality, it took about three minutes to get through that queue and into a game, and this was a 6:30 PM.

Keep in mind, gents, most NDA say you're not allowed to disclose that you're in the beta ...

Of course, PSN will probably disclose it for you ...
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Keep in mind, gents, most NDA say you're not allowed to disclose that you're in the beta ...

Of course, PSN will probably disclose it for you ...
    Yeah considering a) the PS+ logo is next to my name b) it says I'm playing it.....I'd say this is a pretty public thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Yeah considering a) the PS+ logo is next to my name b) it says I'm playing it.....I'd say this is a pretty public thing.
    Just saying.

They probably want as much free press and hype as possible if they expect people to pay $15 as part of a subscription for it. I like the game, but not enough to pay $15 a month. Now, if new copies got 3-6 months free at the start, I'd probably reconsider.

Even after PS+ downloaded a patch/update to this last night, on start-up now it has to download another 3 GB file.

From Joystiq:

Since being pushed to an amorphous "spring 2011" release window back in October, DC Universe Online has been given a solid launch date once and for all: January 11 in North America and January 14 in the UK. Sony Online Entertainment confirmed the dates in an interview with IGN, also announcing the game's $199 lifetime subscription price (a bit over 13 months worth of sub. fees). "We're going to be here for far more than a single year. We've got a lot of universe to build, and we're not going to stop anytime soon," game director Chris Cao said of the lifetime subscription pricing.

Cao also detailed an end-of-the-world event that will take place within DCUO before it launches in January. "Jim Lee and our friends at DC are going to join us in a live, end-of-beta event where players will fight alongside and against the iconics as Brainiac's menace yet looms," he explained, adding, "It will be an epic end and thank you for beta. And it will set the stage for the real struggle to come in live."

Another struggle to come alongside the game's launch? How to get players to choose another mentor -- as expected, Superman was the favorite "by far."

I just don't see this taking off, but maybe I'm wrong.

But $60 + $15 for WoW on a console would be expected.....

Something brand new however, I just don't see it taking off. Especially when APB got the death smack after people spent money on in-game stuff and couldn't get a refund. Or could on credits for some other stupid game. It just makes me not want to trust a new MMO.

The stuff in the beta is fun and everything, but it just doesn't overly wow me to the point where I HAVE to keep playing so far in this beta. Definitely not for a $60 tag with $15 per month after the first 30 days.

Something tells me you guys aren't in the 'target audience'. Since you're balking at some of the basic tenants of MMOs. Personally, I'd rather play DCUO on my PS3 than on the PC, so it's still holding my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Something tells me you guys aren't in the 'target audience'. Since you're balking at some of the basic tenants of MMOs. Personally, I'd rather play DCUO on my PS3 than on the PC, so it's still holding my interest.
    Another thing is it would help if I could actually read the text

DC Universe Online is not going to take off on the PS3 if it is only ranked at 64 in Amazon PS3 game sales less than 3 weeks to release.