Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EA SPORTS SSX Thread

• Facebook
  • Display

EA SPORTS SSX Thread

Announced at the 2010 VGAs. I never played the old games in the series, but hearing from those who have, it seems like it was a pretty popular series.

Redefining the SSX franchise, SSX: Deadly Descents will pit riders versus both mountain and man. Players will explore the story of a team who seek to be the first to descend the faces of the most treacherous mountain ranges on the planet. The team will travel the world to face the worst that Mother Nature can throw at them. From the peaks of the Himalayas, where the air is so thin that riders have to descend through the death zone at breakneck speeds to keep from blacking out, to the solid ice ranges of Antarctica, where a sunlit line is the only survival option when temperatures drop 50 degrees centigrade in the shade. And the mountain isn’t the only danger players will face. In SSX: Deadly Descents the first goal is to survive. The second, in true SSX fashion, is to look good doing it.

The official website has some screens, videos, and wallpapers.

I remember playing it back in the day; it was good fun and a good-looking game.

Yesssssssssssssssssssss ... been asking for a current gen SSX for a while!

This trailer is getting some slack (being called SSX: Black Ops) because they're going away from their happy party style for a more serious tone.

I don't mind this trailer....seems pretty interesting. Going to be a long wait for next winter, and if this does well, it could open the door for the more party-style happy version to return.
    Last edited by JBHuskers; 12-13-2010 at 08:42 AM.

I'd be surprised if they didn't have something in the game that honors the old style and feel. You never know, though.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    I'd be surprised if they didn't have something in the game that honors the old style and feel. You never know, though.
    I doubt it. This is a COMPLETE 180 from the series. It just wouldn't fit to have the happy party style in with this.

I liked the first one but Tricky is my all time favorite of the series. I played the fool out of that game back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    I doubt it. This is a COMPLETE 180 from the series. It just wouldn't fit to have the happy party style in with this.
    Not even as something hidden or as DLC?

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    Not even as something hidden or as DLC?
    It just wouldn't fit at all IMO....I'm thinking that if this sells well, we'll have alternating years of happy SSX and serious SSX.

I am watching an SSX 3 auction on eBay....it's backward compatible, never played it. Played the hell out of Tricky though.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    It just wouldn't fit at all IMO....I'm thinking that if this sells well, we'll have alternating years of happy SSX and serious SSX.

I am watching an SSX 3 auction on eBay....it's backward compatible, never played it. Played the hell out of Tricky though.
    SSX 3 was my favorite. I loved teh open world type feel to it. Plus, some of the larger races were crated by combining various tracks and the backcountry area. I personally can't wait for the new game to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisey105 View Post
    SSX 3 was my favorite. I loved teh open world type feel to it. Plus, some of the larger races were crated by combining various tracks and the backcountry area. I personally can't wait for the new game to come out.
    I actually had never played SSX 3, but just got it for the original XBOX off half.com...

Courtesy Stick Skills:

• While the details are still rather scarce on the title, the March 2011 issue of the Official Xbox Magazine has lent a few more tidbits on the title. Below, we've listed a few different excerpts from the magazine.
    • Sequel is said to still have "great characters, great tricks, great environments, awesome speeds, great music, tight controls, and totally ridiculous gameplay".
    • The title is not being developed as previously rumored by the Skate team, and does not feature Skate style controls.
    • The title will still feature plenty of shortcuts and longcuts.
    • One of the game's early taglines is, "Race It, Trick It, Survive It".
    • A few of the goals are just to simply get off of the mountain alive.
    • A few examples of the Survival challenges would be outracing avalanches, avoiding fatally freezing "shady" areas, and "getting through the Himalayas' oxygen-barren 'death zone' before you black out".
    • The team was very impressed with Criterion's "Autolog" feature in Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, and the article suggests that the team is heavily looking into implementing that into the title.
    • The game is taking some of the more iconic mountains and peaks in the world and "SSX-ing" them wherever they feel like it.
    • The game is said to be much more approachable than Shaun White Snowboarding or Stoaked.
    • Creative Director Todd Batty has dubbed the title almost a "Burnout on snow".

From CVG:

"In the latest issue of PSM3 the mag exclusively confirms that the title will offer "200+ real world tracks mapped using NASA topography data" and follows this up by revealing it's in 3D.

EA has said it knows fans are clamouring for this game and "have lots of surprises in store" for them."

The game now appears to be headed to a 2012 release.

Snowboarding sequel SSX: Deadly Descents apparently won’t be bombing down the slopes anytime soon, with the latest issue of OXM confirming the game’s still got a fair chunk of development time ahead of it.

That’s according to creative director Todd Batty, who told the magazine (as spotted by Game-n-Trains) that the development team will still be hammering away at the title for another 15 months or so.

As such, this puts Deadly Descents out around late 2012/ early 2013. The game was first unveiled at the Spike Video Game Awards back in December 2010. In addition to the above, the publication also turned up a few fresh tidbits, as detailed below.

-The campaign mode will have players darting through nine Deadly Descents, in addition to Explore and Live Events. Apparently, you’ll be part of the SSX Corporation.
    -As well as Elise, former SSX star Zoe Briggs will also be making a comeback alongside one other, as-of-yet unannounced character.
    -An estimated 200-300 tracks and paths will be featured over the nine peaks. Gamers can pick which track they want to race and pinpoint where the chopper will drop them off.
    -Tricks have been mapped to two controller inputs, rather than the entire pad.
    -Lastly, Batty commented that the multiplier scoring feature will pop up again, albeit minus the colourful snowflakes from past iterations.

From Community Manager Alain Quinto:

WHY SHOULD YOU BE THE FIRST TO DROP IN? EA SPORTS ANNOUNCES SSX FIRST LOOK CONTEST

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. – March 31, 2011 – EA SPORTS™ announced today that it is holding a contest that will give five SSX™ fans a chance to fly up to EA Canada in Vancouver, BC to be among the first people to play the new SSX. The SSX First Look Contest*, will ask fans of the franchise to submit, in 100 words or less, the reason(s) why they should be one of the first people to see and play the new SSX at the game’s community event in May.

To enter, fans will be asked to submit their entry through the contest tab at http://www.facebook.com/EASPORTSSSX. The five winners will be chosen by the SSX development team.

Contest Schedule:

March 31 - Contest submissions open at http://www.facebook.com/EASPORTSSSX

April 15 - Contest submissions close

April 20 - Winners Announced

A stunning reinvention of the classic action snowboarding franchise, SSX™ packs adrenaline and over-the-top gameplay into every run. Players will jump into the shoes of some of their favorite characters from SSX Tricky and SSX 3 to race, trick and survive all of the world’s major mountain ranges. Based on real world topographical data, all of the mountain ranges in SSX have been meticulously designed to deliver a gameplay experience that is true to the rich history of one of the most beloved franchises in the industry, while bringing it forward to harness the power of the current generation of consoles.

SSX is in development at EA Canada under the EA SPORTS™ brand, and it will be available for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainments system and the PlayStation® 3 computer entertainment system. The game has not yet been rated by the ESRB or PEGI. For more information on SSX, please visit http://www.ea.com/ssx or become a fan of SSX on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/EASPORTSSSX and follow us on Twitter via http://www.twitter.com/EASPORTSSSX
    For more information about EA SPORTS, including news, video, blogs, forums, fantasy leagues and game communities, please visit www.easports.com to connect, share and compete.

*NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Void where prohibited. Eligibility restrictions apply. Contest starts March 31, 2011 and ends April 15, 2011. Complete Contest rules can be found at: http://www.facebook.com/EASPORTSSSX

Dev Diary #1

'Deadly Descents' being dropped from game title.

EA Sports looks to still any bad vibes that have reverberated from negative reaction to the debut teaser for SSX: Deadly Descents by toning down the emphasis on "deadly." The company has officially dropped "Deadly Descents" from the game title, Game Informer confirms, and has begun a marketing campaign that, in part, assures fans that developer EA Canada is not abandoning the series' arcade roots in favor of more realistic gameplay in the reboot.

The image makeover isn't fully complete, however, as the original SSX: Deadly Descents logo and name are still prominent on the EA.com game page (as of publishing); though the new, just SSX logo was used in last week's promotional video and is featured on the game's Facebook page. Of course, as Joystiq commenter "ptcamn" pointed out last week, lost in this little fiasco is the fact that EA tried a very similar, "survive the ride" marketing campaign for 2003's SSX 3 -- skull-face lightning flash and all.
    Courtesy: Joystiq

Part 2 - Gameplay and Tricks

Part 3 - Level Design

Thursday night, GTTV will air the world premiere of the gameplay trailer for SSX.