Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Recruiting Thread

• Facebook
  • Display
    Especially this late in the season.

On one of the QBs ... I had my Visit in Week 5, Bama did theirs in Week 10. I moved up to -1 in Week 9 ... and have been at -1 since, including their visit week (I guess you can't commit to a team after a visit without a scholarship offer). That's ridiculous.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

To add to that, IMO you should get a larger bonus the earlier you offer a scholarship. I've obviously never been recruited but I would think I would give a bigger boost to a school if they've offered me a scholarship early on compared to a johnny-come-lately.

Now, I will say that if you're targeting a player that's down to his Top 5 or Top 3, and you're outside that group (maybe just Top 3), he will give you 0 points for an offer sand say something along the lines of "C'mon coach, like there's any chance I'm coming to your school".

But I agree with you that there should be a general downward trend the later you offer a player, unless he has very few offers.

Michigan inks two more:

Mark Jackson - P
    Tiffin, OH
    6'4'' 209 LBS
    3-Star

Ratings:

Kick Power B, Kick Accuracy C+

Evaluation:

Jackson is a smooth and powerful kicker/punter. He gets great extension on his field goals. The ball really jumps off his foot and his height on field goals is impressive. His kick offs have solid hang-times. He had multiple four second hang-times on his kick offs in games. The ball comes off his foot quickly on his kick offs. He should be able to drive kick offs well into the wind at the next level. His punting is also impressive with a short 2 step approach and a smooth powerful follow through. He does not swipe across the ball the way many high school punters tend to punt. Miller has great athletic tools upon which to build on in college. His high school resume is solid and he should be able to contribute early in college.

Josh O'Connor - DT
    Fort Lee, NJ
    6'4'' 279 LBS
    4-Star

Ratings

Strength B-, Tackle B-, Hit Power B-, Pursuit B-, Power Moves B+, Finesse Moves B-, Block Shedding B-

Evaluation:

O'Connor is a defender who is capable of being a menace in the trenches. He has good size with the frame to add more bulk and he also brings some versatility to the table. He could fit as a defensive tackle / "three"-technique in a 4-3 defense and could also fit well at the end spot in 3-4. You like the energy he plays with and at this point he can seem a little like a 'bull in a china shop' at times. He can be explosive off the ball, but you would like to see him be more consistent in his get-off. He does have good strength and can generate power and deliver a serious blow on contact that can knock blockers on their heels and at times their butt. He does a solid job of using his hands and creating some separation. Displays the ability to be engage blockers, separate, and hold his ground. Locates the ball well and can get penetration and be disruptive in the backfield. He has a good motor and will pursue to the ball. As a pass rusher he will flash the ability to use his weapons and attack half-a-man and quickly get by. He does though need to be careful to not attack the whole man at times and get caught up. You do like that he displays the smarts to get his hands up when he realizes he can not get to the quarterback. O'Connor is a high motor kid who needs to channel some of his energy into better technique at times to maximize his abilities, but you like the way he plays the game with a violent nature and could be a productive college defender.

I have fallen behind on this so here are quite a few of the U's newest members.

Reggie Ellison-DE [espnu150]

Speed- C
    Strength- B-
    Pwr Move- B-
    Fins Move- B
    Block Shd- C+

Tyler White-DE [espnu150]

Speed- B-
    Strength- C
    Pwr Move- B
    Fins Move- B
    Block Shd- B-

Sam Thompson-MLB [espnu150]

Speed- B-
    Tackle- C+
    Pursuit- B-
    Block Shd- B+

Billy Brown-DE [espnu150]

Speed- C
    Strength- C+
    Pwr Move- C+
    Fins Move- B
    Block Shd- B-

Anthony Strong-DE [espnu150]

Speed- C+
    Strength- B-
    Pwr Move- B-
    Fins Move- B+
    Block Shd- B+

This is on top of the #1 DE recruit in the country, Bo Smith, who was signed prior to Coach Ryby taking over the Canes.

5 defensive ends, all in ESPNU150? Good grief.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    5 defensive ends, all in ESPNU150? Good grief.
    Yeah, they were all on the board already. I just had to recruit them for a couple of weeks and they all signed. It is good because my DE's are fairly weak. I see a couple of these guys that might make a nice change to a rush OLB.

On one of the QBs ... I had my Visit in Week 5, Bama did theirs in Week 10. I moved up to -1 in Week 9 ... and have been at -1 since, including their visit week (I guess you can't commit to a team after a visit without a scholarship offer). That's ridiculous.
    And now FSU has come from like -600 behind to -220. Granted, it's not surprising since he had a visit in Week 12, but why in the world is he moving up when I'm still stuck at -1?

E.J. Roberts
    #11 SS | #218 OVR
    [4star] JUCO Jr
    6'0" 180 lbs
    Ruston, LA

If Roberts had more speed, he'd likely be a 5-star prospect, but even without great defensive back speed his measurables are solid and he'll make a solid contribution to the Badger 3-3-5 defense. He'll likely redshirt his first year or at most be a small contributor, however, after a year or two under his belt, he'll likely be ready to step up and play every down. Roberts chose Wisconsin over Big Ten foe Michigan.

Here's one I apparently missed a while back.

Phillip Singleton
    #2 WR | #31 OVR
    [5star] [espnu150]
    6'0" 170 lbs
    St. Anthony, ID

With the departure of WR Jeff Duckworth, the Badgers will be looking for a replacement with a reliable set of hands. Singleton comes in ready to contribute in that role and fits almost the same mold that Duckworth was in. Given a couple of years, he'll likely be able to do as well if not better than Duckworth did over his career with the Badgers. Singleton chose Wisconsin over in-state Boise State.

And now FSU has come from like -600 behind to -220. Granted, it's not surprising since he had a visit in Week 12, but why in the world is he moving up when I'm still stuck at -1?
    ive had two X2s in a row...disappointing i did not move up more

Quote Originally Posted by fsuprime View Post
    ive had two X2s in a row...disappointing i did not move up more
    Well, that would do it. I don't think I've hit X2 since very early in the season. Maybe I'll finally hit it again in Week 14.

PSU is done recruiting till the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by psusnoop View Post
    PSU is done recruiting till the offseason.
    That is what happens when you take my guys.

Now FSU and I are both -1 on one QB, and Tommy and I are both -1 on the other QB. Both QBs are Soft Committed to Alabama, and neither has a scholarship offer.

What the hell.

Well, I ran up 904 points on one and 728 on the other. If this doesn't sign either of them, well ... I'm going to be very frustrated with the way recruiting was coded.
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 01-05-2011 at 10:44 PM.

Week 11 Top 25 Update:
    #1 Penn State
    #5 Florida State
    #7 Michigan
    #9 USC
    #10 Ohio State
    #15 Miami
    #16 Virginia Tech
    #18 Texas
    #24 Wisconsin
    Week 14 Top 25 Update:
    #1 Penn State
    #3 Michigan
    #7 USC
    #9 Florida State
    #10 Miami
    #14 Ohio State
    #19 Virginia Tech
    #20 Wisconsin

Good to see Miami is moving up the rankings.

Well, I ran up 904 points on one and 728 on the other. If this doesn't sign either of them, well ... I'm going to be very frustrated with the way recruiting was coded.
    Cue frustration.

i had X2s 4 weeks in a row and could not pass anyone lol...yay.