Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Week 12 Discussion (2010)

• Facebook
  • Display
    Yeah but we don't exactly own the corner in that market. Everyone has some crackpots for fans.

I personally think there is something to the discrepancy in penalties called in Nebraska games this year. I don't necessarily buy the whole "the big 12 is out to get us theory" however you can't ignore some of the numbers and trends this year. I personally think it's a combination of the way Pelini treats the refs, our record under Pelini as a highly penalized team, AND the fact that we are leaving and the conference almost broke up (which woulda cost the refs their jobs and may have left a few bitter). Add all of those up and we will NEVER get the benefit of the doubt and maybe just maybe a few refs look a little closer at us and a little over the top at what other teams are doing. Below is a pretty decent article summing up some of the irregularities.

ODD PENALTY NUMBERS

The most notable stat I've heard so far has been that it's been something like 260-270 plays since a team has been called for holding against us. Against one of the top 10 defenses in the country, that number doesn't wash to me. Especially since anyone can see our DLINE's shoulder pads being grabbed at every opportunity, most notably in the 4th quarter of the A&M game. Also, the roughing the passer call on Courtney Osborne that extended the game winning drive for A&M was one of the worst calls I have EVER seen.

With all of that being said, we didn't play well enough to win Saturday. 6 pts on offense isn't going to win a lot of games even with the defense we have. Our offense is FAR too reliant on a skinny little douche who runs straight up and down (albeit very fast) to stay healthy all season long. Watson needs to start calling plays to Cody's strengths when he is in the game, which means NO DAMN ZONE READS!
    Last edited by Kwizzy; 11-23-2010 at 02:56 PM.

I'd add that ABC commentator Ed Cunningham's rants about Eric Martin and Courtney Osbourne didn't seem to help the cause as the refs Saturday at College Station seemed more than willing to flag them when involved in anything....and TV replays never showed what Martin's flags were supposedly for.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwizzy View Post
    Yeah but we don't exactly own the corner in that market. Everyone has some crackpots for fans.
    True ... but ... I have never seen a fanbase manage to start a rumor that the starting QB was transferring, nor manage to get the coach on the record ANSWERING that rumor. Then, what, a day later, the refs are suddenly at the pep rally for the opposing team? I'm not saying that Nebraska fans are more ... passionate ... just I've never seen stuff like this come out after a loss.

FWIW, if I was working a game in College Station, whether I'm a broadcaster, ref, whatever ... and I'd never seen Yell Practice ... I'd go. Perception of impartiality be damned, that's a spectacle to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwizzy View Post
    The most notable stat I've heard so far has been that it's been something like 260-270 plays since a team has been called for holding against us.
    The interesting thing about that article is that it seems like that kind of stuff is true for most top tier teams. Ohio State's opponents have been the least penalized in the Big Ten for years. Or at least they were last time I looked, and were for the bulk of my collegiate experience. One of the downsides to being a top dog, I suppose.
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 11-23-2010 at 09:05 PM.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Actually it wasn't the fan base that started the rumor...it was one of the student coaches after Martinez wasn't at the meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Actually it wasn't the fan base that started the rumor...it was one of the student coaches after Martinez wasn't at the meeting.
    Well ... that's a little better.

Though a student coach should know better ... geez.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

For the record it wasn't exactly an unfounded rumor... Martinez walked out of practice in the middle of the QB competition during fall camp & the coaches convinced him to stay. It would not shock me at all if he quit/wanted to quit & Pelini coaxed him into coming back again. I would venture a guess that there's more to the story than Pelini let out the other day. The kid is a drama queen/daddy's boy. Would not surprise me even slightly if he transfers in the offseason. As crazy as that sounds, when you know the underlying drama, it's not a stretch.

As for the yell practice conspiracy I couldn't agree with you more. Some people are just ridiculous. Even if they were at the pep rally, who the hell cares. Even if they were doin lines of coke with Pelini the night before the game off of Sorority girl who plays Herbie Husker that still wouldn't change the fact that they are horrible refs!

Didn't know that about the penalty stats and big time teams. The thing is that any one or two of those things by itself would not give me a second thought about it. However, when I see all of those things put together it gives me pause. Especially the part where Eric Martin has been the only player suspended by the Big 12 EVER!