View Poll Results: Who should be the new #1?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Auburn

0 0%
  • Boise State

3 15.00%
  • LSU

0 0%
  • Nebraska

2 10.00%
  • Ohio State

6 30.00%
  • Oklahoma

0 0%
  • Oregon

9 45.00%
  • TCU

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: After Week #6, who should be the new #1?

• Facebook
  • Display

After Week #6, who should be the new #1?

After Week #6, who should be the new #1?

- Auburn
    - Boise State
    - LSU
    - Nebraska
    - Ohio State
    - Oklahoma
    - Oregon
    - TCU
    - Other

What the heck, I'll show Boise St. some love. Boise, OSU and Oregon are my top 3 right now.

Ohio St.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Ohio St.
    A Ohio State team that has played absolutely no one worth a shit at all except for a completely shit Miami team? Good god...

I voted for Oregon and then I have Ohio St. and Boise behind them.
    Last edited by HWill; 10-10-2010 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    A Ohio State team that has played absolutely no one worth a shit at all except for a completely shit Miami team? Good god...
    Yeah, 'cause Toledo and Virginia Tech look so much better than Marshall and Miami. I don't really think Ohio State is the #1 team either, but it's not "Good god" worthy. No one has a very good resume right now.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Yeah, 'cause Toledo and Virginia Tech look so much better than Marshall and Miami. I don't really think Ohio State is the #1 team either, but it's not "Good god" worthy. No one has a very good resume right now.
    At least they have an Oregon State team that can kick the shit out of their own overrated conference on their schedule. Who the hell does Ohio State play? More overrated shitty Big Ten schools. (rolls eyes)

In the end, if Boise State goes undefeated, it will be the biggest travesty EVER to not have them in the BCS Championship Game. I don't give a shit who is and isn't undefeated.

All this shit about them being able to play with anyone because it's a once a year thing is a crock. These teams have 2 months to prepare for them. Boise State routinely uses all of their trick plays so it's not like they're doing something they've never done before (ala the game against Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl - Boise State had done the very same play at least 5 times during that season so it's not like it was a surprise or anything). Boise State can play with anyone anywhere. They basically played AT Virginia Tech (even though it was a bullshit "home" game for Boise State) and still won against a crowd that was basically all VT fans.

I don't see any of these other "big" programs manning up and playing someone worth a shit away from their stadium occasionally (and when they do, they kick the shit kicked out of them). I get so sick of the bullshit elitism of these schools.

At least they have an Oregon State team that can kick the shit out of their own overrated conference on their schedule. Who the hell does Ohio State play? More overrated shitty Big Ten schools. (rolls eyes)
    Methinks you have a tad bit of bias.

A combined 5 point victory over Zona and Zona State does not a "kick the shit out of" make.

My top 10:

1. Oregon (2)
    2. Ohio State (3)
    3. Boise State (3)
    4. Nebraska (6)
    5. TCU (5)
    6. Oklahoma (7)
    7. LSU (NR)
    8. Michigan State (10)
    9. Auburn (8)
    10. Utah (NR)

Others receiving a thought or two: Alabama, Arkansas, South Carolina, Florida State, Nevada

Oregon was my #2, so naturally they go into the #1 slot. I give Ohio State over Boise based on them finally waking up against previously unbeaten Indiana. Boise blew out Toledo, so I'm keeping them ahead of Nebraska, and TCU who both won convincingly. If Nebraska wins convincingly over Texas, and Boise sputters, good chance I'll vault them into 3rd as Boise really has no game of even mediocre note until Idaho in mid-November.

LSU winning on the road has me jumping over previously ranked Michigan State and Auburn, as it's not easy to win in the swamp.

Here's my take on Boise. To get serious consideration, they need more than two good non-conference games. They're going to need to go out and make all three non-conference games against non-BCS schools. On top of that I think they need to schedule at least one if not two of those games towards the end of the year. That could be easier said than done, but it would make going undefeated much more of an achievement.

Methinks you have a tad bit of bias.
    Bias? Nah. Sick and tired of BCS snobbery.

A combined 5 point victory over Zona and Zona State does not a "kick the shit out of" make.
    Oregon State played Zona at their place and still came away with the victory. 2 points is meaningless, they won against a "superior" team.

Ohio State has played:

Marshall (pfft)

Indiana (who has lost to Michigan and previously beat their MAC whipping boy in Akron and Western Kentucky and Townson :rolleyes

Miami (who got absolutely annihilated by a pretty poor Florida State team, beat a Clemson team that can't get out of their own way to win games, a Pittsburgh team that's always atrocious, and Florida A&M)

Ohio (their annual lets kick the shit out of the MAC game)

Illinois (the ONE away game they've had out of the FOUR they'll have all season and they NEARLY lost against a meh team)

So those weigh better than Boise State kicking the shit out of Wyoming, Oregon State, New Mexico State, and Toledo how? Nevermind Virginia Tech (who are still undefeated in the ACC mind you).

How are Ohio State's wins better than Boise State's? Cause they beat the hell out of two poor Big Ten schools? :rolleyes:

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Here's my take on Boise. To get serious consideration, they need more than two good non-conference games. They're going to need to go out and make all three non-conference games against non-BCS schools. On top of that I think they need to schedule at least one if not two of those games towards the end of the year. That could be easier said than done, but it would make going undefeated much more of an achievement.
    That's all well and good JB, but coming from the perspective of WVU who has been the class of the Big East for a good 8 years now, we are JUST NOW getting teams to come to our stadium and we're in a god damn BCS Conference!

You can't blame Boise State for not being able to get a decent BCS school to play them (mainly because those BCS schools are too damn scared to play them at Boise even once). As I've said before, there's no god damn way I'd agree to only play at the BCS school's stadium. That's bullshit.

So, Boise State has to play the teams that they have on their schedule and listen to all the bullshit BCS snobbery give hollow explanations as to why their 40-50 point victories aren't good enough. :rolleyes:

I think Boise is just as much to blame for not getting anyone to come up there. We offered a 2-for-1 to Boise and they declined. Just because they've won a lot of games, they're still beating up a very bad conference. If you want notoriety, you need to take offers like that.

I think Boise is just as much to blame for not getting anyone to come up there. We offered a 2-for-1 to Boise and they declined. Just because they've won a lot of games, they're still beating up a very bad conference. If you want notoriety, you need to take offers like that.
    Yeah JB, but that's crap. A program that has propelled itself into the limelight like Boise State doesn't deserve a 2-for-1 when they should be getting 1-for-1s. That type of deal clearly benefits Nebraska more than Boise State in my opinion.

It's week 6. It's an extreme longshot to think that the current #1 and #2 will play for the title. There's a lot of football left before anyone can make a clear case. I don't see any point in arguing this early.

I'm hoping, in the end, Boise gets a shot. But, if there are 2 other unbeatens, they won't.

Yeah JB, but that's crap. A program that has propelled itself into the limelight like Boise State doesn't deserve a 2-for-1 when they should be getting 1-for-1s. That type of deal clearly benefits Nebraska more than Boise State in my opinion.
    Yeah it should benefit Nebraska because they're in a better conference.

Looking at their recent "propelling into the limelight":

2006 - Sacramento St., Oregon St., Wyoming, Utah
    2007 - Weber St., Washington, Wyoming, Southern Miss
    2008 - Idaho State, Bowling Green, Oregon, Southern Miss
    2009 - Oregon, Miami OH, Bowling Green, UC Davis, Tulsa
    2010 - Virginia Tech, Wyoming, Oregon State, Toledo

Their limelight is due to two things, blue turf and an easy conference paired with a lot of non-conference crap in those four years. I don't think a 2-for-1 with any type of upper tier team from a power conference is not that much of a stretch for a school in the WAC.

I'm all for a team like Boise in the national title picture, but they need to step up their non-conference. A move to the MWC will help somewhat, but they need at least three good non-conf games to have a legitimate gripe when being on the outside looking in.

That 2 for 1 offer may not be fair but it's the kind of deal they have to do if they want to gain more respect and get a shot at the title game. Quite frankly, Boise St. is actually sitting pretty good. They have done well enough in the bowl games and the 1-2 big games they play all year that pollsters do respect them. They won't get in over any other undefeated team but they probably get in over a 1 loss BCS program from the ACC, Big East and possibly the other guys other than the SEC. The odds of them going undefeated are pretty good and then they have a decent shot at slipping in. The odds of making a title game for them are just as good as if they were playing in a big conference and had to run the table to get in.

NU also offered a home and home as well as just one game in Lincoln. The problem was that Boise wanted $1M+ for the game in Lincoln. That's unreasonable....but sadly, there are school who will (and have) paid that amount. It's a couple hundred thousand more than what I consider the standard rate.

Bias? Nah. Sick and tired of BCS snobbery.
    Uhm, that's bias.
    How are Ohio State's wins better than Boise State's? Cause they beat the hell out of two poor Big Ten schools? :rolleyes:
    Did I say it was better? No. All I said that it wasn't "Good god" worthy. No one has a #1 worthy resume right now. You're the one that managed to turn that into a rant of epic proportions.

And yeah, when you think the Big Ten is on par with the Sun Belt (as you appear to think), you're not going to think very highly of Ohio State's schedule.

And yes, Virginia Tech is undefeated in the ACC (who only holds OOC wins versus the Big East, mind you), but they lost to James Madison.
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 10-11-2010 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    NU also offered a home and home as well as just one game in Lincoln. The problem was that Boise wanted $1M+ for the game in Lincoln. That's unreasonable....but sadly, there are school who will (and have) paid that amount. It's a couple hundred thousand more than what I consider the standard rate.
    Well then Boise really has no reason to complain if they get shut out of the BCS Title game....they've had plenty of time over the past five years to set things up and they still play two crap non-conference games and (this year) what seemed to be a decent VT matchup and Oregon State that really has never done anything with consistancy.

I'm definitely one for a playoff system so these teams at least have a chance to win two or three games on the field, but until that happens, they're going to have to sacrifice and step up.