Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gschwendt- no, I am so disgusted, and sorry to see this - Indian nicknames changed

• Facebook
  • Display

Gschwendt- no, I am so disgusted, and sorry to see this - Indian nicknames changed

Didnt pay attention to this till now but I just realized Arkansas State changed their team name to red Wolves ...?

I was looking at my Phil Steele college preview and only just noticed this.

I am disgusted by teams/schools giving in to these small interest groups to get rid of Indian mascot/team names !!

they give up too easy. They need to follow in the steps of that school in North dakota ( Sioux)

and the Redskins and realize these small interest groups are no real threat.

same goes for ULM, Marquette, St Johns, Rutgers etc.

Umm, wow. I'm fairly certain that Tommy had nothing to do with the original name and I doubt he came up with the new one either.

Here.....

Have a

It's the perfect combination of chocolate and peanut butter.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Umm, wow. I'm fairly certain that Tommy had nothing to do with the original name and I doubt he came up with the new one either.

Here.....

Have a

It's the perfect combination of chocolate and peanut butter.

I wonder if Reeses sales went up a little after the game was out for a while ? who said I blamed Tommy?

I'm just saying, if this were my favorite team. I would hate them changing their name .

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    I wonder if Reeses sales went up a little after the game was out for a while ? who said I blamed Tommy?

I'm just saying, if this were my favorite team. I would hate them changing their name .
    I just hope there aren't any Nittany Lions with their panties in a wad.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    I just hope there aren't any Nittany Lions with their panties in a wad.

they probably dont notice because the team isnt doing thaaat well.

Penn State has decided to stick to grooming this young QB and the team is young/inexperienced again.

the D is still decent though, at least.

Long Live Indian Team Names !!!!!!!!!

It was two years ago that they changed ...

They didn't change due to the special interests group, it was the NCAA ban.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    It was two years ago that they changed ...

They didn't change due to the special interests group, it was the NCAA ban.

an NCAA ban brought about by bowing to special interest groups of course.

theres no excuse for it, the NCAA is another politically correct, sissified organization. Just Pathetic.

an entire nation of division 1 schools without Indian names is the beginning of the end of recognizing Indian history

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    an entire nation of division 1 schools without Indian names is the beginning of the end of recognizing Indian history
    That's been my thought on it as well. The effort to be 'sensitive' may backfire in the long run.

Earlier this decade, some newspapers quit publishing the logo of the (Cleveland) Indians and the (Washington) Redskins and would not mention team nickname. One of those papers was a local rag, the Lincoln Journal-Star.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    It's total bullshit but the only people complaining about Indian names are barely fuckin' Indian to begin with (like the cunt that's been bitching about the Redskins name for the past 10 years or some shit). The courts have NEVER held up these lawsuits, yet, to prevent public slandering, teams have folded to these unbelievable idiots. Luckily, the Redskins haven't yet and I hope they never do. It's stupid bullshit with absolutely NO insensitive connotation anymore at all.

It was two years ago ... this ship has sailed, folks. Yes, the NCAA is politically correct. Most of America is now.

It was two years ago ... this ship has sailed, folks. Yes, the NCAA is politically correct. Most of America is now.

Haha, theres 120 1A schools and I live on the West coast, so it took me a little while to notice this RECENT change .

ship having sailed or not this is still very pathetic.
    I could care less about what ever percentage of America may be what ever level of politically correct.

I'm am only concerned with intellectually correct honesty. Saying that an Indian team name or mascot is offensive or harmful to Indian culture is just incredibly dumb on multiple levels. And the fact that institutions of learning are the ones giving in makes it more ridiculous.

Indian team mascot names are practically the last common link to people learning about the tribes etc that earlier lived on this land mass. They are killing their own history by doing this.

I'm not mad,angry or arguing with you jcross. Just typing my thoughts.
    This just brings me momentary sadness

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    That's been my thought on it as well. The effort to be 'sensitive' may backfire in the long run.

Earlier this decade, some newspapers quit publishing the logo of the (Cleveland) Indians and the (Washington) Redskins and would not mention team nickname. One of those papers was a local rag, the Lincoln Journal-Star.

I would have thought Nebraska Americans had more common sense. I am sad again

My wife's alma matter (Southeast Missouri State) also had to change its name due to the Indian nickname issue to Redhawks.

Now when the Alumni people call looking to hit up Dr. CLW for a donation, she tells them she will donate when they change the name back to Indians.

Quote Originally Posted by clw View Post
    my wife's alma matter (southeast missouri state) also had to change its name due to the indian nickname issue to redhawks.

Now when the alumni people call looking to hit up dr. Clw for a donation, she tells them she will donate when they change the name back to indians.

:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d

Most of America is now.
    No, most of America is forced to be.

What was the facination of teams being called Indians anyway? I wonder if there is research that shows more teams used the nickname Indians or reference to, than any other (ex animals, etc)

..go after the Santa Cruz Banana slugs, not indian / Tribe names

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    My wife's alma matter (Southeast Missouri State) also had to change its name due to the Indian nickname issue to Redhawks.

Now when the Alumni people call looking to hit up Dr. CLW for a donation, she tells them she will donate when they change the name back to Indians.

Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post
    What was the facination of teams being called Indians anyway? I wonder if there is research that shows more teams used the nickname Indians or reference to, than any other (ex animals, etc)
    It evokes a mental image of a fierce warrior. Same reason Michigan State is the Spartans, USC is the Trojans, etc.

I think CLW will be interested in this:
    As World War I ended, Duke's Board of Trustees, then called the "Trinity College Board of Trustees", lifted their quarter century ban of football on campus leading to an interest in naming the athletic teams. The team was then known as the Trinity Eleven, the Blue and White, or the Methodists (as opposed to the Baptists of nearby rival Wake Forest University). Because of the ambiguity, the student newspaper, the Trinity Chronicle (now called The Chronicle) launched a campaign to create a new mascot. Nominations for a new team name included Catamounts, Grizzlies, Badgers, Dreadnaughts, and Captains. The Trinity Chronicle editor narrowed the many nominations down to those that utilized the school colors of dark blue and white. The narrowed list consisted of Blue Titans, Blue Eagles, Polar Bears, Blue Devils, Royal Blazes, and Blue Warriors. None of the nominations proved to be a clear favorite, but the name Blue Devils elicited criticism that could potentially engender opposition on campus. That year, the football season passed with no official selection.

....Dreadnaughts.....? interesting

we are ships with no fear........

yep, allot of teams just used religious names as well back than or skulls and crossbones in front of jerseys.