• Lawsuit Over Use Of Former NFL Players' Likeness In Madden Moves Forward

Following a 2008 settlement between the NFLPA and former players for $26 million over the perceived usage of player likenesses in Madden NFL and an inability for the PA to protect their best interests, a judge has ruled that a lawsuit against EA may proceed.

Courtesy Polygon: A lawsuit brought in 2010 by thousands of former NFL players against Electronic Arts will proceed, now that an appeals court has rejected EA's argument to have the case thrown out.

The case, Davis et al. vs. Electronic Arts, Inc., resembles the lawsuit that former college football players brought against and settled with EA in 2013, effectively canceling the NCAA Football series in the process. In this case, it involves the editions of Madden NFL from 2001 to 2009 that had featured "classic" teams from the league's history.

The four plaintiffs named in the case are Tony Davis, Vince Ferragamo (pictured), Billy Joe Dupree, and Sam Keller. (FWIW Davis, Ferragamo, and Keller all played collegiately at the University of Nebraska; Dupree at Michigan State University.) Davis, now an advocate in Congress, is no stranger to legal issues of his own after having been sued in a ticket selling scam in 2001.

Some legal documentation of the case can be viewed here. (PDF)

The lawsuit vs. EA regarding NCAA Football resulted in a $40 million settlement that saw the players receive a small payout as compared to the lawyers and legal representation involved.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Lawsuit Over Use Of Former NFL Players' Likeness In Madden Moves Forward started by cdj View original post
    Comments 22 Comments
      skipwondah33 -
      Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
      I thought you were primarily a Madden guy?
      Oh I definitely am, but that's the thing I'd still take it over nothing

Although I got the game every year, only to usually return it when Madden came out..still like the occasional "different" type game every now and then.

Especially with this OD I'm back in here.
      gigemaggs99 -
      Even on the old Bill Walsh game they had a coin toss.

I wonder why the coin toss portion was removed from Madden 15? The animation shows up if you make it into OT, but not in the regular periods at the start of the game. I know you can set your choices in the settings mode but I wonder why they removed the coin toss animations?