• SEC, Big Ten, Pac-12 won't license trademarks in next EA SPORTS college football game

ESPN.com is reporting that the Southeastern Conference & Big Ten Conference will be joining the NCAA and no longer license its trademarks with EA SPORTS and their college football franchise. CBS Sports is also reporting that the Pac-12 will also join the SEC & B1G in their decision.

While this means the removal of the SEC, P12, & Big Ten names, logos, and other trademarked conference-related items, the member schools will still make their own determination if they will appear in the product.

Joystiq's Mike Suszek adds that "150 collegiate institutions, including SEC schools, have approved renewal of the EA college football license, to begin with the 2015 edition. As with any licensed product, individual schools continue to make their own decisions."

AL.com reports that Texas A&M, LSU, and Tennessee will allow their marks to be used by EA SPORTS. They also list Kentucky, Arkansas, and the American Athletic, CUSA, and Sun Belt as weighing their options.

[UPDATE] The University of Washington appears to be the first school to publicly announce they do not plan on allowing their trademarks to appear in future editions of EA SPORTS' college football title. This comes nine months after giving customized copies of NCAA 13 to outgoing seniors. However, Kotaku's Owen Good reports that only one school from NCAA 14 will not be in next year's title and that the SEC is signed on for one more version.

What does this mean for the franchise? It is expected that the next title in the franchise will feature a generic name for the SEC & Big Ten. Though, much remains up in the air as this news amplifies significant concerns that numerous conferences and programs may follow suit.

From an EA SPORTS College Football 15 design standpoint, there is some community-based discussion that this may lead to a more customizable game, namely within the Custom Conferences feature to edit names, add logos, edit bowl tie-ins, etc. The offseason has now featured the NCAA, Big Ten, SEC removing themselves from the franchise and many conferences revamping bowl tie-ins. With more conference realignment in the future, these changes may lead to more customization and user options within the franchise. However, there is still the growing concern that should an excessive number of licensed partners jump ship, the franchise may be cancelled.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: NCAA will not renew EA Sports contract [UPDATED with EA Statement] started by cdj View original post
    Comments 109 Comments
      jaymo76 -
      Pasta Padre is reporting that the University of Washington probably won't license itself to EA.

Edit: the UW Athletic Director is recommending that UW admin. NOT license to EA sports.
      souljahbill -
      EA College Football '15 sponsored by Teambuilder
      cdj -
      Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
      Pasta Padre is reporting that the University of Washington probably won't license itself to EA.

Edit: the UW Athletic Director is recommending that UW admin. NOT license to EA sports.
      More info...

From an online chat with UW AD Scott Woodward:

Q: It sounds like the Pac-12 will not license its trademarks with EA Sports. Will the UW?
      A: We do not plan to. Licensing is done from the main campus, but we will advise them not to.

It is worth noting that last December, outgoing seniors were given custom copies of the game with their photo on the cover & disc.

In an effort to recognize Husky Football's senior captains in an innovative and authentic way, the University of Washington Athletics new media team created a unique tribute for the Dec. 9 Husky Football awards banquet. Each senior captain was surprised with a customized copy of EA SPORTS' NCAA Football '13 featuring their own image on the cover and packaging, along with personalized marketing collateral simulations.

"This group of student-athletes has given so much to the UW, we wanted to find a unique and authentic way to honor their efforts," Daniel Hour, manager of new media and recruiting services, said. "We knew our players have a special affinity for this video game, and we wanted to give them something that would be memorable and relevant to them."

cdj -
      bdoughty -
      School leaving to be replaced with team based on Hanna Montana and friends.
      SCClassof93 -
      Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
      skipwondah33 -
      lol
      neystar206 -
      this sucks!!!!!!!! because ncaa is the only game that i play now. ive been playing since the first game came out!
      well i guess ill be saving 500 buck by not getting the xbox one....
      CLW -
      Well time for me to find a bunch of loser washed up former players and sign them up as clients to sue their former schools. I'll make my retirement against EA and the 120 separate multi-million dollar universities.
      bdoughty -
      Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
      Well time for me to find a bunch of loser washed up former players and sign them up as clients to sue their former schools. I'll make my retirement against EA and the 120 separate multi-million dollar universities.
      EA, Hanna Montana and 120 separate multi-million dollar universities just laughed their asses off.
      SmoothPancakes -
      I can overlook the whole no Big Ten/Pac-12 in next year's game. But if multiple teams drop out (and actually drop out and not appear next year, not just say they won't renew the license in the future), then even if '15 releases, I think I'll end up skipping it. I'm a stickler for having accurate conferences when it comes to teams. Just as one possibility mentioned, say Stanford is the one, it will never be the same with Pac-12 logos and names already gone, but then to not have Stanford either.

If teams start dropping, I'm done. I'm not going to bother spending my money, even if Teambuilder still exists. I'll just stick with '14 (if these bastards ever release a new patch or tuner update for the goddamn game!) and keep playing that into the future. I can deal with not having Appalachian State or Charlotte in the game since they were never going to be in until next year.
      CLW -
      EA, Hanna Montana and 120 separate multi-million dollar universities just laughed their asses off.
      Yeah they should ask EA and the NCAA how funny it is right now.
      bdoughty -
      Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
      Yeah they should ask EA and the NCAA how funny it is right now.
      Well in fairness they are in legal battles with lawyers who do not spend half their day dissing the Xbox One and posting PS4 news.
      SCClassof93 -
      Well in fairness they are in legal battles with lawyers who do not spend half their day dissing the Xbox One and posting PS4 news.
      Those lawyers were not smart enough to marry doctors
      oweb26 -
      OUCH Have you and Mors been hanging out lately?
      CLW -
      I wouldn't be soo...... sure.

Quote Originally Posted by SCClassof93 View Post
      Those lawyers were not smart enough to marry doctors
      Touche. If you can swallow the "pride" of not being the primary bread winner its not a bad gig.
      JBHuskers -
      If lots of stuff is customizable, and shareable. It'll still work. Just gotta wait and see. But I'm not negative on the subject like 99% of people. Instead of believe it when I see it, I will believe it not existing when I don't see it showing up next July.
      jaymo76 -
      Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
      If lots of stuff is customizable, and shareable. It'll still work. Just gotta wait and see. But I'm not negative on the subject like 99% of people. Instead of believe it when I see it, I will believe it not existing when I don't see it showing up next July.
      That's the best opinion to have. But, I feel for the people whose team will not be in the game. Imagine if Nebraska opted out? Yeah sure you can customize but it just would not be the same. I enjoyed the gameplay of apf 2k8 but could not play the game because the uniforms, logos, and stadiums were not accurate.
      gschwendt -
      You won't be able to create teams that have opted out. As soon as EA finds it, they would be forced to remove it (ala Youtube). EA is supposed to be removing NFL teams presently and while they're not completely removing all of them, I'm sure if/when schools opted out, they'd be damn sure to watch TeamBuilder for their likeness. That's why when you are connected online, it always checks for legitimacy of your team before allowing you to use it. If it's vulgar or a copyright infringement or anything like that, they remove it.
      ram29jackson -
      Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
      You won't be able to create teams that have opted out. As soon as EA finds it, they would be forced to remove it (ala Youtube). EA is supposed to be removing NFL teams presently and while they're not completely removing all of them, I'm sure if/when schools opted out, they'd be damn sure to watch TeamBuilder for their likeness. That's why when you are connected online, it always checks for legitimacy of your team before allowing you to use it. If it's vulgar or a copyright infringement or anything like that, they remove it.
      nothing is copyright infringement until you do something to profit from it.

the Boston U Giants in Boston New York are fictional fun. In no way, shape or form am I claiming this is the New York Giants or profiting from that.

that's either black or a really dark blue also