• NCAA Football 14 Demo Details & Impressions

EA SPORTS has released the details of the NCAA Football 14 demo which drops Tuesday, June 18th. Included in the demo are three matchups, Virginia Tech vs Alabama (Chick-fil-A Kickoff), Ohio State vs Michigan, and Oregon at Texas A&M. The quarter length is limited to 3 minute quarters, however the user will have the ability to change the rest of the gameplay settings including difficulty and gameplay sliders. New this year, users will be able to try out the additional camera angles in the game: Regular, Zoom, Wide, & Coordinator.

In addition to the three matchups, users will also have access to the new Nike Skills Trainer which attempts to teach users the finer mechanics of the game including how to run the Read Option as well as some of the more basic functions of the game such as proper passing with the lead mechanic that was added in NCAA 13. Finally, users will be given Ultimate Team giveaways as incentives for playing and sharing the demo.

UPDATE - The NCAA Football 14 demo is now listed as available on the Xbox.com website and can be queued for download on your console on this page (Gold members only).

UPDATE 2 - The NCAA Football 14 demo is now available on PS3. Search 'NCA' from the Store to find it or queue it for donwload on your console on this page.

Keep up on all the latest NCAA Football 14 news & media heading into the July 9 release date with our NCAA 14 News & Info Central page. We'll provide all the best & latest information regarding improvements to Gameplay & Infinity Engine 2, Dynasty Mode, Presentation, and new features such as NCAA Football Ultimate Team & Play a Season.

NCAA Football 14 News & Information Central: http://tgt.pw/ncaa14info
    Comments 534 Comments
      ram29jackson -
      Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
      I've seen this but I've found that if you press X (on PS3), it will bring up the playcall screen much quicker than just waiting it out.

or R or L 3 I believe..?
      ram29jackson -
      Quote Originally Posted by AustinWolv View Post
      jello has a good point. QB Miller of O-lie-o was killing me on option runs, so I switched the defensive adjustment to aggressive for option to focus on the QB and damn if my D didn't start taking him and damn if he didn't read it right and the HB was picking up yards. Pretty slick that it worked both ways but damned if I could shut them down on Heisman, at least for that game.
      shouldn't have to resort for gameplan junk for that though.

All - American settings.
      I had a couple plays where the/my defense, an LB or DE just runs past the QB like he's the invisible man...just dumb.

players feel/seem more solid, rubbery like madden.

infinity engine on first run play..the RB was on top of defender and took a couple seconds for play to be blown dead.

Bump cover on left side works now.

me/Mich. QB 13 for 15 for 195 yrds and one TD, 44 yrds rushing
      ram29jackson -
      the 4-4 defense wasn't in the Michigan playbook
      xMrHitStickx904 -
      Really enjoying the option blocking, and the assortment of plays we have now. Ran a Midline out of Shotgun Normal, & DAT ran untouched up the middle for a 90 yard touchdown. At times on NCAA 13 & sometimes Madden, 95+ speed didn't translate in the open field. If the demo is a representative of the game in that regard, speed will really kill. Finally.

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2
      ram29jackson -
      people will abuse people online with -hurry-up- if defense doesn't get to pick their plays faster then how it works in the demo. It just hand cuffs you and the offense can just start a play too soon
      GatorfanStovy -
      What I do counter the online no hurry up is go 4 DB man to man. That tends to stop people easily. depending on formation.
      ram29jackson -
      Quote Originally Posted by GatorfanStovy View Post
      What I do counter the online no hurry up is go 4 DB man to man. That tends to stop people easily. depending on formation.
      regardless of your play pick it still takes too long to set up. While hurry up is stupid AI abuse from stupid people at least in 13 you can quickly navigate menu. Unless this is just a demo thing, it takes too long now and kind of sticks
      ram29jackson -
      at least now you can re-blitz a defensive lineman without him going offsides.

AI QBs still throw balls out of bounds/over a receivers head for no reason on All-American
      bdoughty -
      Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
      at least now you can re-blitz a defensive lineman without him going offsides.

AI QBs still throw balls out of bounds/over a receivers head for no reason on All-American
      There is a reason. It is that no QB in the history of football is that accurate. They do throw the ball out of bounds and they do under/overthrow receivers, even when someone is wide open.

Sim +1
      Ram -1
      SmoothPancakes -
      Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
      There is a reason. It is that no QB in the history of football is that accurate. They do throw the ball out of bounds and they do under/overthrow receivers, even when someone is wide open.

Sim +1
      Ram -1
      Yep, watch a game sometime. College or pros, QBs overthrow all the time. Hell, playing my Tulsa dynasty, I have completely fuckered passes to WIDE OPEN receivers because I led them too much or put too much air on it, causing it to go way wide of where the WR is, or overthrow them. Basically the same with the CPU. Some of their passes are going to be off-target, overthrown or just bad passes.
      RussellW65 -
      Okay just got to play the demo:
      --I think I am going to hate this game. There is simply too much sweet option stuff I don't know how I am going to streamline it into a usable playbook
      --found one glitch. Playing Oregon against TAMU and they were still calling the cadence after the play was already being run
      --did a squib kick and it bounced off the middle man on the front line. Worked like a surprise onside
      --graphics are cool. The in between play scenes are great. More coach action.
      --no sideline reporter
      Jayrah -
      Quote Originally Posted by jello1717 View Post
      This is for those of you that're worried that the CPU option keepers will be too tough to stop. The "option defense" gameplay adjustment works as you'd expect. In '13 it only worked with plays with pitches like speed options. In '14, it also works on plays with a mesh like read options.

I've played a bunch of games with Oregon and the read guy crashed on the HB probably 90+ % of the time and I'm using that as a baseline. I then grabbed 2 controllers, turned the D's option defense to "focus on the QB" and then ran 10 straight options with the offense. 100% of the time the read guy stood up and played the QB. This was with various flavors of read options as well as midline, inverted veer, and shovel options.

Of course if you're playing an Oregon, then you'll have to worry about stopping DAT.
      Only thing I don't like about 100% of the time is that kind of "Cheats" the system the other way. If you're able to play the option to perfection every time, that defeats the purpose of the cpu running it and being "effective" in their reads. I don't mind the "focus on", but I do not like 100%, unless of course your read guy has 99 awareness and play recognition skills. Wasn't that the complaint about CPU running the option... that they weren't effective? Now we are finding ways to neutralize it
      no1geemoney -
      did anyone notice that the cpu never changes their coverage when you run no huddle...they stay with whatever play they picked the 1st time
      ram29jackson -
      Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post

Sim +1
      Ram -1
      Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
      Yep, watch a game sometime. College or pros, QBs overthrow all the time. Hell, playing my Tulsa dynasty, I have completely fuckered passes to WIDE OPEN receivers because I led them too much or put too much air on it, causing it to go way wide of where the WR is, or overthrow them. Basically the same with the CPU. Some of their passes are going to be off-target, overthrown or just bad passes.
      seriously guys? do you need to nag that much? real world comparisons have nothing to do with low grade video game AI.
      the game threw 2 over throws in like 4 plays so I thought i'd mention it. Its a video game, your real world critiques are pointless. Ultimately the AI isn't all its cracked up to be from the others reviews of the demo I've read so i'm mentioning my critique.

Streaks aren't the guarantee they use to be it seems, which is good. And the demo froze at the end of the Alabama-Virginia game had to restart my ps3
      Jayrah -
      I half agree, half disagree. As coach that's what GP is all about. I just wish you had to set it before the game and maybe had to call a timeout to change it during. I know there are in-game adjustments IRL but it seems a bit cheesy on the game if your dudes do it 100% of the time and can change plans on command.
      Jayrah -
      seriously guys? do you need to nag that much? real world comparisons have nothing to do with low grade video game AI.
      the game threw 2 over throws in like 4 plays so I thought i'd mention it. Its a video game, your real world critiques are pointless. Ultimately the AI isn't all its cracked up to be from the others reviews of the demo I've read so i'm mentioning my critique.
      I wish the game had more underthrows and wide throws. Basically the game for CPU has 1 bad throw for every situation and generally it's when the pocket is closing or CPU qb goes to move and throw at the same time.
      jello1717 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jayrah View Post
      Only thing I don't like about 100% of the time is that kind of "Cheats" the system the other way. If you're able to play the option to perfection every time, that defeats the purpose of the cpu running it and being "effective" in their reads. I don't mind the "focus on", but I do not like 100%, unless of course your read guy has 99 awareness and play recognition skills. Wasn't that the complaint about CPU running the option... that they weren't effective? Now we are finding ways to neutralize it
      I think you missed the last line of my post. This doesn't neutralize the option. It just forces a decision. You still have to stop the back. I played nothing but defense against Oregon while playing the QB and both DAT and his backup completely gashed my D. They both averaged double digit yards per carry.

The gameplan setting just lets you decide who'll do the gashing.
      AustinWolv -
      I hear you, I've never liked those adjustments being in the game. Not a fan of cheap power-ups for a sports game.

The gameplan setting just lets you decide who'll do the gashing.
      That's for sure, CPU runs it damn well on Heisman.
      ram29jackson -
      I -QB Spy- my defensive end on right side. the qb fakes hand off to RB on that side and keeps ball and runs to right side. My QB spying DE just runs after the RB Ignoring the qb.

maybe qb spy shouldn't need to work unless the QB is passing but why would my DE ignore the command I gave him unless the outcome of the option play is predetermined ? or it just roles the numbers dice as to when it works ?
      countryboy -
      I can't help but feel that offense is still far too overpowered. No matter which matchup I choose or the team I choose, I just move the ball down the cpu's throat on Heisman difficulty.

The shortest drive I've had, when actually playing, is appx 4:30 minutes.

The cpu still seems to have major issues with pass coverage.