• Polygon: NCAA Football 14 looks to catch up to Madden

    Every year, the designers of the NCAA Football franchise at EA Tiburon set out to make a game that simulates football just like its more popular older brother, the Madden NFL series except they have to differentiate their game by ensuring that it plays like college football instead of pro football.

    Part of that differentiation is, in a sense, forced on the NCAA Football developers. These days, publisher Electronic Arts launches Madden seven weeks after it releases NCAA Football the college football title typically comes out in early July, while Madden launches at the end of August. While the games are developed on an annual cycle that means Madden doesn't get extra development time, per se, innovations often come to Madden first.

    We don't know yet what the Madden team has in store for Madden NFL 25, but this year's entry in the NCAA Football series, NCAA Football 14, is catching up in a few key respects when it comes to gameplay.


    Follow the link to read Polygon's full preview.
    Comments 19 Comments
    1. GatorfanStovy's Avatar
      GatorfanStovy -
      It looks interesting but I just wish they were push forth effort into Road To Glory mode and make it great like MLB the show has. It could be that good if time was put into it instead of just throwing it all together.
    1. ram29jackson's Avatar
      ram29jackson -
      they cant make some huge leap. You play both games this year its obvious how lacking NCAA is. It looks like a kids drawing in comparison to Maddens fluid oil painting. It will never be as fluid or tight as madden. I can accept it on it own merit though because theres still more action in it than mlb13 and ncaa has the greatest online creation tool still even though its behind in and of itself.
    1. Jayrah's Avatar
      Jayrah -
      Few people care as much about RTG. Be surprised if they don't work on it some though again. They had a guy specifically for that mode last season
    1. GatorfanStovy's Avatar
      GatorfanStovy -
      I agree not everyone cares about the RTG mode. But it is fun IMO. Except for when I throw dumb INT down field trying for a big play or a fumble. I just wish more was done with you being the recruit and visiting teams and signing day is all etc. Also more work outs for the team as well like a practice deal for each team. Madden had in like 05/06 where you do pro work outs for different positions. It was fun they even had sprints /40 time.
    1. ram29jackson's Avatar
      ram29jackson -
      Quote Originally Posted by GatorfanStovy View Post
      I agree not everyone cares about the RTG mode. But it is fun IMO. Except for when I throw dumb INT down field trying for a big play or a fumble. I just wish more was done with you being the recruit and visiting teams and signing day is all etc. Also more work outs for the team as well like a practice deal for each team. Madden had in like 05/06 where you do pro work outs for different positions. It was fun they even had sprints /40 time.
      mom disagrees with your choice mode, click -x- to tell her who you chose

    1. Jayrah's Avatar
      Jayrah -
      Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
      mom disagrees with your choice mode, click -x- to tell her who you chose

    1. JBHuskers's Avatar
      JBHuskers -
      It's sad that I'm starting to become as old as their moms.
    1. xMrHitStickx904's Avatar
      xMrHitStickx904 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
      they cant make some huge leap. You play both games this year its obvious how lacking NCAA is. It looks like a kids drawing in comparison to Maddens fluid oil painting. It will never be as fluid or tight as madden. I can accept it on it own merit though because theres still more action in it than mlb13 and ncaa has the greatest online creation tool still even though its behind in and of itself.
      Only recently has this been the case though. Arguably, NCAA and Madden were at their best on PS2 when they both played the exact same - same animations, same game play engine. The only things that were different that Madden had over NCAA back then was Hardcore Ranked Matches, more defensive hot routes, formation shift, make any play a play-action play, QB Vision, your adjustments for plays could be saved, smart zones( zones that defended receivers to the first down marker), right stick audibles, and man lock.
    1. GatorfanStovy's Avatar
      GatorfanStovy -
      Why is my choice mode so wrong? Doesn't everyone at least do one RTG guy just to see how well they will do?

      I do also play dynasty mode a lot more though.
    1. SmoothPancakes's Avatar
      SmoothPancakes -
      I don't play it. I'm exclusively dynasty.

      Only in a year or two when I decide to achievement whore the game and get the 1000 gamerscore out of it will I play RTG, but in the simplest settings so I can pound through it and get the achievements and move on.
    1. Deuce's Avatar
      Deuce -
      Man, I've tried to play RTG but I just can't get into it. I can never get past my freshman year in college. I guess I'm so used to playing and being able call plays on both sides of the ball that I get bored quickly.
    1. souljahbill's Avatar
      souljahbill -
      I wish they had kept the Erin Andrews "documentary" part. It was cool when you were player of the week and Kirk would comment on how awesome your week was.
    1. GatorfanStovy's Avatar
      GatorfanStovy -
      Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
      I wish they had kept the Erin Andrews "documentary" part. It was cool when you were player of the week and Kirk would comment on how awesome your week was.
      I agree that part was interesting and new to NCAA.But damn it didn't last long . Now RTG is just ugh play ur game nothing happens until u win the Heisman. I did my junior year playing on All American . fun season but all done for now. Gonna go back and work on my Gator dynasty to getting them being number one again for 5 years or what ever.
    1. dhook27's Avatar
      dhook27 -
      why did they ever take goin to class, studying, drills and erin andrews out the game ...... ncaa 11 arguably had the best road to glory to date
    1. illwill10's Avatar
      illwill10 -
      I miss the old RTG. I actually prefer the old PS2 version.

      I cant even get into it anymore, especially since locked to 5 min Qs. I am mainly a Dynasty guy in NCAA.
    1. JBHuskers's Avatar
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by dhook27 View Post
      why did they ever take goin to class, studying, drills and erin andrews out the game ...... ncaa 11 arguably had the best road to glory to date
      Well Erin Andrews is because she works for FOX now, not ESPN.
    1. CLW's Avatar
      CLW -
      So when can you all powerful community day guys comment on the stuff that has been released to date? I know usually you are under a NDA but that usually you can comment on stuff as it is released.
    1. gschwendt's Avatar
      gschwendt -
      Actually, we're free to comment on anything gameplay related. I've been swamped lately so I haven't been very active on the forums but I'll put together a Q&A thread that you guys can ask. I'll also try to throw together some thoughts sometime this week but probably not until later in the week.
    1. JeffHCross's Avatar
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by GatorfanStovy View Post
      Why is my choice mode so wrong? Doesn't everyone at least do one RTG guy just to see how well they will do? .
      I think he was saying that they could add a mode where your mom disagrees with your college choice. Though I read it the same way you did the first time.