• Madden NFL 13 - Share Your Thoughts & Impressions

Madden NFL 13 will be available beginning Friday at 6 PM ET for EA SPORTS Season Ticket subscribers with the retail launch on August 28.

Highlighted by Connected Careers and the new Infinity Engine, Madden NFL 13 may be the most anticipated edition of the franchise in years. Once you play the game, share your thoughts and impressions on the game here with the community.
    Comments 331 Comments
      JeffHCross -
      The legality is a gray area right now in the US. Absolutely illegal in the UK.

For me it's more about ... really? You'll go to that level? Really?

Makes me more convinced than ever that a great % of the things people will do on the Internet is just for LOLZ.
      I OU a Beatn -
      Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
      The legality is a gray area right now in the US. Absolutely illegal in the UK.

For me it's more about ... really? You'll go to that level? Really?

Makes me more convinced than ever that a great % of the things people will do on the Internet is just for LOLZ.
      Oh yeah, I know what you mean. I'm kind of used to it because I've dealt with online random players for so long, but this severity of something really baffles me. I mean, this isn't even something EA can really stop. The fact that it's growing pretty rapidly in it's popularity is what scares me. For long I wont even be able to finish a game without it happening.

It's right up there with the keyboard glitch on the PS2 games. Press start, wait until your opponent resumes, rapidly press the space bar on your USB keyboard until the clock ticked down to 0, and then the game would freeze until the person with the keyboard was ready to resume(in effect hoping you left and you get called for delay of game 3 times and get booted). It got to the point it was happening every few games, too. I just hope this doesn't become widespread.

Do you know of any ways to minimize the chances of them getting your IP, Jeff?
      JeffHCross -
      Honestly, I'm not even sure how they're getting your IP to begin with. They're doing something unique with their setup that I can't figure. 'Cause when I hook up with somebody on my PS3, I can't immediately think of a way for me to know what IP I'm hooking up with, anywhere. Maybe through my wireless router, it would tell me where I'm getting packets from. But I don't even think it will tell me that.

And I'm finding guys talking about Zone Alarm and other firewalls ... a firewall isn't going to anything unless it's between the PS3/360 and the internet.

The only thing I can think of maybe ... maybe ... would be to use a proxy server instead of directly connecting to the PSN. But that could cause slowdown, and it's entirely possible they could still flood the proxy with packets to take it down. So it may not do a lick of good.
      I OU a Beatn -

So yeah, some of the tackles are just a bit over the top.
      JeffHCross -
      Way to hold onto the ball. That takes talent!

Okay, now I can say I've seen something that wouldn't happen in '12.
      CLW -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      So you're saying there is a chance you like it?

LMAO there is = % chance of me voting for Obama in November.
      SmoothPancakes -
      Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
      So yeah, some of the tackles are just a bit over the top.
      Yeah, some of the tackles I've seen are some of the worst god awful tackles I've ever seen.

Honestly, while people were bitching because Madden got Infinity Engine and NCAA didn't, I say THANK GOD! The player movements, the tackles (some of the shittiest tackling I've ever seen, and this is taking into regard the lack of fundamental tackling in the NFL), just awful. I have seen players do things and bend certain ways that are anatomically impossible, lest you would end up carried off the field with a broken back or broken neck. And this is all during plays, I'm not even going to comment on the stuff I've seen after the play ends.

I'm gonna say it now, I HOPE TO GOD that Infinity Engine does NOT get put into NCAA next year. I personally would rather have the regular old animations, sucking blocking, route mirroring and whatever else over this crap in Madden.
      Rudy -
      I'll disagree about the player movements. I think the player movement in Madden 13 is smoother and players have more weight than NCAA 13. I don't think that has anything to do with the Infinity engine though. You could say the same thing about last year's games.

I do like the IE engine (just from my time with the demo). I think it's fine except for some goofy things. I just don't think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread although some guys love it. It's a very polarizing topic for people on the forums.
      SmoothPancakes -
      I'll disagree about the player movements. I think the player movement in Madden 13 is smoother and players have more weight than NCAA 13. I don't think that has anything to do with the Infinity engine though. You could say the same thing about last year's games.

I do like the IE engine (just from my time with the demo). I think it's fine except for some goofy things. I just don't think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread although some guys love it. It's a very polarizing topic for people on the forums.
      Wait until you play the full game, especially with instant replay capabilities to go back and look at things in slow motion. Some of the stuff, since the implementation of IE engine, are just atrocious. It almost ruins the game for me seeing what I've seen, especially during running plays.
      Rudy -
      Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
      Wait until you play the full game, especially with instant replay capabilities to go back and look at things in slow motion. Some of the stuff, since the implementation of IE engine, are just atrocious. It almost ruins the game for me seeing what I've seen, especially during running plays.
      I pick the game up on Tuesday! I'll have to see for myself. I did read that the retail version of IE is different from the demo. Wonder if the sliders and tuning of general gameplay is significantly different?
      Rudy -
      Ratings for every team in Madden are here if you haven't seen the link. Just click and save the excel file.
      http://web-vassets.ea.com/Assets/Res...EVEAL_ALL.xlsx
      SmoothPancakes -
      I pick the game up on Tuesday! I'll have to see for myself. I did read that the retail version of IE is different from the demo. Wonder if the sliders and tuning of general gameplay is significantly different?
      Yeah, I mean could live it, but there is just so much I see anatomically impossible when it comes to tackling or players being tackled, it makes me cringe seeing those things in a game, especially Madden. That and half of the tackles I see in my games seem to be people running into each other and the ball carrier just falling down or a player simply being pushed down. And heaven forbid you bump shoulders with a defender, even if he doesn't trip you up, as soon as your player breaks contact with him, you're going to be stumbling, trying not to fall over for a couple seconds before your guy regains his footing, by which time the entire defense is already on top of you.

Also, a general comment here on CCM, they have GOT to flesh out that Twitter stuff if they're going to keep it. I swear to god, if I seen Skip Bayless say "Running backs may be less important now, but you can't tell me (Player name here) getting 1,000 yards is a bad thing." one more time, I'm going to punch a baby. I have seen that same damn "tweet" now for 5 weeks in a row. It's like a broken record.
      I OU a Beatn -
      I still like it. It's really nice that when you hit your own player you slow down or even trip in some instances. It's really buggy this year, yes, but it should be really nice with another year of development.
      illwill10 -
      Also, a general comment here on CCM, they have GOT to flesh out that Twitter stuff if they're going to keep it. I swear to god, if I seen Skip Bayless say "Running backs may be less important now, but you can't tell me (Player name here) getting 1,000 yards is a bad thing." one more time, I'm going to punch a baby. I have seen that same damn "tweet" now for 5 weeks in a row. It's like a broken record.
      This is something that I liked, but I expected it would be very repetitive very fast. Things like Twitter/newspaper/events things in games would have to be fully fleshed out with different lines. It is a good idea, but if you add something like this it has to be deep or it will be something that people would try to ignore.
      JeffHCross -
      I agree (tentatively) with IOU. If it's included in NCAA this year, it won't be the current iteration, it'll be with more time under development. That could turn out real nice.

As for "wait until you watch replays" ... Backbreaker didn't have a replay system for quite a while
      SmoothPancakes -
      I still like it. It's really nice that when you hit your own player you slow down or even trip in some instances. It's really buggy this year, yes, but it should be really nice with another year of development.
      You're right, it can be really nice with a year or two more of development. And that's what I hope happens before NCAA even considers adding it. It could be really nice with time to work on it, but as it is now, keep it the hell out of NCAA. I still am able to enjoy and play NCAA year round in dynasty, don't bring the IE engine in before it's polished and pristine.
      I OU a Beatn -
      Oh, Backbreaker. Every time that game is mentioned I throw up a little.
      CLW -
      This game is a bit over the top. All it is is play BNR bring the house on D and hope you get a pick and/or sack. Then watch the guys fall all over each other and/or put people in wrestling holds after the play is over. If it's in the game....
      jaymo76 -
      You're right, it can be really nice with a year or two more of development. And that's what I hope happens before NCAA even considers adding it. It could be really nice with time to work on it, but as it is now, keep it the hell out of NCAA. I still am able to enjoy and play NCAA year round in dynasty, don't bring the IE engine in before it's polished and pristine.
      The fundamental problem with INFINITY is that at its most basic level it is a collision engine. A force hits you and you react (bounce) like a pinball. A lot of the interaction outside of that is still canned. Something needs to be done with the field and the actual parameters of the players bodies. When you watch replays you still see arms drift through opposite players and you still see legs sink through the turf and you still see sideline catches where there is no foot planting logic for the field of play. I would also suspect that until you have real physics for WR/DB interaction will will NEVER see real pass interference calls
      skipwondah33 -
      I am enjoying the IE. For someone that has been wanting physics into the game I definitely enjoy it and the impact on the game. All bias aside

Some of the animations after the plays give you a chuckle at first but I don't watch replays or pay attention anymore. There have been so many instances where I would have had TD's in 12 easily after running through or over someone directly in my way...now it's a trip as it should be. I've stumbled when I should have, bounced off tackles naturally, etc.

I've played 10 games now and they have all been pretty defensive. Quite a few interceptions thrown and rushing yards at a minimal. None of us use that garbage "guess a play" feature so that hasn't been a problem. We have been getting pressure on one another as well, even without blitzing at times.

Definitely enjoying it, can't wait to get our league's started.