• Madden NFL 13 - Share Your Thoughts & Impressions

Madden NFL 13 will be available beginning Friday at 6 PM ET for EA SPORTS Season Ticket subscribers with the retail launch on August 28.

Highlighted by Connected Careers and the new Infinity Engine, Madden NFL 13 may be the most anticipated edition of the franchise in years. Once you play the game, share your thoughts and impressions on the game here with the community.
    Comments 331 Comments
      Rudy -
      Quote Originally Posted by sl8b View Post
      I thought they updated the rosters to the 53 man for CCM? I restarted my Cardinals franchise, and when I get in I see that Howlings is 52 overall (74 ovr in play now) and then I have to cut guys. I started with 69 I believe, unless maybe I simmed through a cut day or two and the cpu dumped some of my team.

I'm not ready to take this back to blockbuster and say to hell with it, but damn, they have really screwed franchise mode this year. It's almost as if they wanted to see how annoying they could design it so no one would play, lol.

The gameplay is fun, but everything else is a chore. I wanted to play all day, and then when I started it up I kind of dreaded fishing through the menus and guessing if I'm using the correct roster and all of that just to play. Not good...

Edit: I forgot one question, under "League Type" it has Legen, yes or no. What in the hell does that mean? LOL, it's the ONLY part of that menu with no explanation! This game is such a train wreck for me right now it's almost funny.
      When you start your new franchise mode you have an option of using the original 75 man rosters so you can make your own cuts going into preseason or use an updated roster with updated ratings that is much smaller. You must have chosen the wrong ones.

Legend I believe allows people to bring legends in Superstar into your mode. Or it may allow people like Kurt Warner to unretire and come back into the game. Not exactly sure. I think I turned that option off for me but I can't remember right now.

The menus do suck. This was an area that needed improving from last year and they didn't. The More menu options for strategy, free agents and depth charts should be better laid out. Things are too hidden the way they set it up.
      Rudy -
      To avoid having the Madden PS3 bug fail I have found quitting the game first and then shutting off the machine helps.

I'm 2-1 with the Dolphins after beating the Raiders 14-7 after Carson Palmer threw three picks. The Jets tried to run a lot against me but Shonne Green just isn't that good. Beat them 20-6.

I've had a few agents approach me for new deals - Jake Long, Randy Starks and Sean Smith. The first two I gave what they wanted and it only took the one week for them to agree. I thought I gave Sean Smith a good offer but he kept negotiating another week. A bad offer will halt all negotiations so it was cool he didn't settle right away.

You have only two options with the new salaries - how much base salary and how much signing bonus. The contracts are automatically designed to escalate. I wish we had the option to front load contracts but I can see why EA wants to keep it simple.

The twitter feeds and news stories are interesting for headlines. Scouting has been interesting. I like it so far. It doesn't take much time and you can spend points (usually 100 or less) to get a general idea for specific skills like speed. If you want a general overall that costs 2000 and you only have 2000 points per week. Generals give letter grades. Want more? That will cost you again. So it's been fun. I want to see how much info I'll have when I get to the draft. Some of the headlines highlight top draft picks as well as mid or late rounders.

The game would be so much better if it had a weekly wrap up show like 2K5. Madden 11 had the Extra Point which was a weaker version of that but rather than build on it last year they just took it out. I loved those fake highlights along with top stat performers for each game.
      WolverineJay -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      The game would be so much better if it had a weekly wrap up show like 2K5. Madden 11 had the Extra Point which was a weaker version of that but rather than build on it last year they just took it out. I loved those fake highlights along with top stat performers for each game.
      Yes, Madden 14 desperately needs to add some real immersion to the Franchise mode. It is easy to see what Madden needs for the feel of a living breathing league just look at NCAA 13 and NFL 2K5. The in game score ticker across the bottom of the screen during Franchise mode and the in-game studio updates would be a huge upgrade in Madden 14 and bring back the Exta Point. Except have the Extra Point show scores and a couple highlights from all the games of the week, major injuries, and league news (transactions, contracts, and nfl draft prospects).

If the CCM Madden team can add those 3 things to Madden 14 they will finally get what the fans have been asking for this entire generation of consoles.
      Rudy -
      Beat the Cardinals 17-10. Plax made a couple nice plays in the game (I signed him and K2 - can't take dealing with a bad offense).

One handed grab: http://t.co/G7xQlHwH

TD complete with juke and stiff arm: http://t.co/Dm0jeU5m

Cpu's Arian Foster ran over me for a nice TD earlier: http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/136011877
      I OU a Beatn -
      I have to laugh every time I get into a game and have the Rams selected. My opponent is usually on someone like the Dolphins or someone, and as soon as I hit ready, they'll quickly switch to the 49ers, Eagles, or someone high rated and then quickly ready up so I can't switch even though I have no intention of switching teams. Cracks me up every time.
      ram29jackson -
      Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
      I have to laugh every time I get into a game and have the Rams selected. My opponent is usually on someone like the Dolphins or someone, and as soon as I hit ready, they'll quickly switch to the 49ers, Eagles, or someone high rated and then quickly ready up so I can't switch even though I have no intention of switching teams. Cracks me up every time.
      and then you get a game and it may well be some kid..allthey ever do is try to throw 40 yards every play. I pick knickle-cover 3 ..like 70 % or more even of the time and works the majority of the time
      I OU a Beatn -
      Yeah, that'll generally work until you get to the higher levels, which is when you'll run into the guys who run 3 or 4 plays all game with routes that beat man and zone coverage in all the plays. Don't let me forget the ones who use motion to mess with the AI man assignments which will generally lead to a wide open touchdown if you're not paying attention.

I've played 3 games today with the new roster update and the Rams are SO much more manageable now. Amendola's boost was just enough to make them a threat in the passing game, and Jenkins' boost last week made them a very viable defensive team.
      gigemaggs99 -
      To avoid having the Madden PS3 bug fail I have found quitting the game first and then shutting off the machine helps.
      Do you have any other tips? I tried going to the PS3 menu and selecting "quit game" it makes my PS3 beep and gives me the same error that the machine was not shut down properly and then does a system restore.

I also have tried going to the PS3 menu and selecting "shut down machine" it does the same beep and error message. Then the next time I turn the PS3 on it tells me it needs to do a restore. Again this is ONLY with Madden 13.
      I OU a Beatn -
      I don't know if it's a fluke but if you bring up the XMB menu, and then scroll clear to the left over to users, then press Triangle over the profile you're currently signed into and the select sign out, it'll say "You have to quit the game to do this" or something like that...just hit yes and it should quit right to the menu with no errors. It's worked for me several times so far.
      Rudy -
      Donny Moore isn't doing that great a job on the roster downloads. Granted I wouldn't be any better but it's too big a job for one guy. That's why you need editing. I tweeted him two weeks ago that Miami's Lamar Miller had switched jerseys and had the wrong number in the last download. Told him Miami's converted LT was no longer a TE and now weighed over 300 pounds instead of 268. Think those got fixed? Nope. The number issue on guys and duplicate numbers that happen need to allow editing in franchise mode. Also, Miami's rookie FB Javorskie Lane has been killing it so much the Dolphins now use the I-formation as their best running formation but he's still just a 64. Pouncey at C has been outstanding in year two and needs more love. On the other end of it some of Miami's backup LBs are over-rated. Lots of ratings are off a bit as they don't move enough unless you are a star player. I miss using custom rosters and editing things.
      ram29jackson -
      his first name is Javorskie ?
      Rudy -
      Aggie that walked on to the roster. Played HB in college at 280 but slimmed down and moved to FB. Really a nice surprise.
      jaymo76 -
      Donny Moore isn't doing that great a job on the roster downloads. Granted I wouldn't be any better but it's too big a job for one guy. That's why you need editing. I tweeted him two weeks ago that Miami's Lamar Miller had switched jerseys and had the wrong number in the last download. Told him Miami's converted LT was no longer a TE and now weighed over 300 pounds instead of 268. Think those got fixed? Nope. The number issue on guys and duplicate numbers that happen need to allow editing in franchise mode. Also, Miami's rookie FB Javorskie Lane has been killing it so much the Dolphins now use the I-formation as their best running formation but he's still just a 64. Pouncey at C has been outstanding in year two and needs more love. On the other end of it some of Miami's backup LBs are over-rated. Lots of ratings are off a bit as they don't move enough unless you are a star player. I miss using custom rosters and editing things.
      Yup, without editing Donnie Moore will be seriously overworked. There are just too many changes for one person to make.
      jaymo76 -
      At this point even if Madden patches in editing on October/November, I think I will pass. I have been playing FIFA 13 on season pass and it's one heck of a complete game. This make the game after release date via patch in EA's football titles has become a tiresome routine. Props though to all you guys who have stuck it out thus far!
      Rudy -
      One thing that is glaring to me now after playing a bunch is that the cpu is rarely in press coverage. They usually play pretty soft making it tough to get a WR behind a guy. You can still do it but the NFL presses quite a bit more than what you see in Madden imo.
      Rudy -
      Does anyone know how to change the importance of a player's position in the schemes? Importance is listed there but I don't know how to change it. TE2 needs to be listed under scheme. Makes no sense not to have it as more teams use the 2nd TE than the starting FB.

When scouting I should be able to look at ALL players - not just scouted and unscouted. It would be a nice little improvement to fix.
      Rudy -
      M13 is only $40 on Amazon today for those interested.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=stickskcom-20
      I OU a Beatn -
      Man, my poor Rams receivers are just getting the living hell jammed out of them since I've started playing on PS3. It's weird, because I don't think I ever got jammed like that when I was on 360. I've had to resort to running bunched sets on the left side of the LOS so that I can't be jammed just so I can get off the line of scrimmage.
      Escobar -
      Aggie that walked on to the roster. Played HB in college at 280 but slimmed down and moved to FB. Really a nice surprise.
      He actually moved to FB when Mike Sherman became the coach at A&M. Now he's at the Dolphins running the same offense with the same QB and FB + Reggie Bush instead of Mike Goodson.
      skipwondah33 -
      Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
      Man, my poor Rams receivers are just getting the living hell jammed out of them since I've started playing on PS3. It's weird, because I don't think I ever got jammed like that when I was on 360. I've had to resort to running bunched sets on the left side of the LOS so that I can't be jammed just so I can get off the line of scrimmage.
      We should play a game since you got it for PS3 man.