• Madden NFL 13 - Share Your Thoughts & Impressions

Madden NFL 13 will be available beginning Friday at 6 PM ET for EA SPORTS Season Ticket subscribers with the retail launch on August 28.

Highlighted by Connected Careers and the new Infinity Engine, Madden NFL 13 may be the most anticipated edition of the franchise in years. Once you play the game, share your thoughts and impressions on the game here with the community.
    Comments 331 Comments
      ram29jackson -
      the announcers often say things that dont involve the situation..wrong down, wrong score..but it still sounds good compared to the last couple years LOL

at least they wear alot of different shirts n ties too

a frew lines are really repative..but I still like hearing both of them
      Rudy -
      The cpu AI in terms of defending the run is lousy. I started playing a Play Now game with the Titans against the Titans (wanted to see how balanced it would play). Once the second quarter started I exploded with CJ2K but in a way I'm not happy about. I will admit I abused the AI to see if they would adjust but ended up running for over 300 yards against them largely because they weren't lined up correctly.

The cpu will not adjust their front 7 to account for the strong side of the field. Nor do they appear to consider the wide side of the field or the speed of the RB because the run defenses they called against me were terrible. By running a double TE set with both TEs on the same side the cpu refused to shift. In fact, I have never seen them slide their LBs or DL over to help in the running game or counteract a strong formation. Take a look at how they line up against CJ in a two TE set. The 18 stretch play where CJ just takes the ball on a sprint outside devastated them all game long.

Why are 4 defenders lined up on the weak side of the field (with all four left of the LG) vs. only 3 on the strong side? How the heck are they supposed to defend this running play to the outside?

After abusing the cpu on All-Pro I tried it out on All-Madden. Same thing. On 3rd and 1 I bring out 3 TEs to the strong side and this is how the cpu tries to defend it. It's ridiculous! It's a complete mismatch on the strong side.

I guess any time I run an unbalanced formation it's a money play in the running game. That's crazy. EA needs to patch in some logic here. I shouldn't feel like a cheeser running some pretty basic formations and plays.
      Rudy -
      I wonder if EA has the logic backwards here. It looks as though they are trying to stack against the weak side when they should be stacked against the strong side. They are doing the opposite. Great for Costanza or Bizarro world but not good for stopping CJ2K.

There are some really dumb things in the game like this. Seeing crap like this and broken cpu run/pass tendencies (all teams pass 80% of the time on 1st and 2nd down) just kills my enjoyment. I can't start a franchise with crap like this and play now games get very annoying too.
      jaymo76 -
      I thought I was losing my mind back when I had this game during CCM. Players being put on the trade block that I didn't put on the block; players being released that I didn't release. A lot of people have been reporting this issue. I guess it turns out that this is the cpu "playing" GM in CCM in order to continue to play-out story lines. Count me in the group that does NOT like this. If the cpu releases someone or puts someone on the trading block you should be informed and asked if you wish to override. When I lost my FB, I didn't find out about it until my starter was injured and a TE came in for him. I looked for my backup only to find him gone... after the game, there he is in the FA pool. This is just another example of lost user control and IMO that is a step in the wrong direction.

Also a bit of a rant... but... why does the game have tuning sets if you can only access them through a patch (re: offline gamers? We were told that all modes were combined together so that the game woul d be 100% the same. Apparently this is not the case. In a lot of ways I have been an EA apologist over the years and I have given Madden a pass just because. With the release of Madden 10 I figured that Madden 11 would be the breakthrough year... it was a bust. Then what I loved about Madden 10 was removed entirely in Madden 12. However I got over it because they gave us (and bragged about it) 100% user customization. Then comes 13 with a new direction and a ripping to shreds of all the things I loved about Madden and a system that has more bugs than a lawn. I'm sorry to sound so negative but I am just frustrated with the seemingly endless switching of directions from Madden.
      Rudy -
      You mean we don't have full control over IR and personel moves in franchise mode? That has to be a bug. Too many issues like this. Can't believe how many little things are wrong with this game that all add up to a frustrating experience.

I still don't see why they had to put the two modes together. Now I read people that like Superstar mode are ticked off because they removed the Superstar mode camera. You don't get a player specific camera and only use the default camera which is hard if people want to play CB.
      Rudy -
      I've read people state the LE sack issue is still in the game. The funny thing is when I would see that in NCAA it was because the QB always drifted towards the LE when he felt pressure which resulted in it. But now when I actually play as a RE I find myself getting pancaked way more than when I play as a LE. I think there is something beyond ratings at work here. It's not just the RT being a worse pass protector.
      jaymo76 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      You mean we don't have full control over IR and personel moves in franchise mode? That has to be a bug. Too many issues like this. Can't believe how many little things are wrong with this game that all add up to a frustrating experience.

I still don't see why they had to put the two modes together. Now I read people that like Superstar mode are ticked off because they removed the Superstar mode camera. You don't get a player specific camera and only use the default camera which is hard if people want to play CB.
      When you think about it a little bit, it really is shocking how many bugs and glitches are present in Madden this year. I would like to say that the team attempted too much this year... BUT the developers are on record as saying that this has CCM REBOOT been in the works for TWO YEARS! According to the developers the game was built from the ground up and features that didn't work right were not included. Well, so much of what has been implemented is bugged. For a game/mode that took this long to develop it boggles the mind to see so many issues. The last time Madden had so many problems was Madden 08 and we all remember what happened to Mr. Ortiz... The bugs NCAA 12 had are nothing as compared to the issues in Madden.

The PATCH will be massive for this game. A great patch that fixes all the bugs and glitches and say adds a few things like editing has the power to save this game in put it into the good to great conversation. However, the reverse is also true... a weak patch or a patch that causes more problems will put a lot of people over the edge who aren't there already. For those of you who own it still and haven't lost your minds, you have my respect. Hopefully EA can deliver a patch worthy of your diligence.
      skipwondah33 -
      It's not that bad. Majority of issue and beef revolves around editing players which doesn't effect gameplay in my world or even register as a problem.

I don't see any issue in Zone where Defenders are completely ignoring the deep half assignment. Or that awful not covering the option issue.

I am still enjoying and still stand by it is the best Madden to date.

Just with the Commit feature wasn't in. I can tell when it's used but it should be out all together

Oh and Rudy Coples has been getting Sacks for me, I put him in at the RE spot in the 4-3 and 4-6 packages. In fact he has been getting the most sacks for me, along with Pace...ROLB...but you may be talking about CCM or something so disregard if so
      ram29jackson -
      Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
      When you think about it a little bit, it really is shocking how many bugs and glitches are present in Madden this year. I would like to say that the team attempted too much this year... BUT the developers are on record as saying that this has CCM REBOOT been in the works for TWO YEARS! According to the developers the game was built from the ground up and features that didn't work right were not included. Well, so much of what has been implemented is bugged. For a game/mode that took this long to develop it boggles the mind to see so many issues. The last time Madden had so many problems was Madden 08 and we all remember what happened to Mr. Ortiz... The bugs NCAA 12 had are nothing as compared to the issues in Madden.

The PATCH will be massive for this game. A great patch that fixes all the bugs and glitches and say adds a few things like editing has the power to save this game in put it into the good to great conversation. However, the reverse is also true... a weak patch or a patch that causes more problems will put a lot of people over the edge who aren't there already. For those of you who own it still and haven't lost your minds, you have my respect. Hopefully EA can deliver a patch worthy of your diligence.

one thing ....unless its on purpose ? when you try to set your defensive line to attack towards the middle or to the outside ( you see all the arrows pointing inward or outward) the DE on the left side ( your left)

his arrow is always facing the wrong way/ the opposite of what it should.

in MUT theres games against AI to earn tokens. Some of those games are on rookie or Pro for the AI and sometimes if you are on offense at the goal line, the AI players on defense are all over the place in the back of the end zone with 2 or 3 guys at the line ..?
      Rudy -
      I've read people state the LE sack issue is still in the game. The funny thing is when I would see that in NCAA it was because the QB always drifted towards the LE when he felt pressure which resulted in it. But now when I actually play as a RE I find myself getting pancaked way more than when I play as a LE. I think there is something beyond ratings at work here. It's not just the RT being a worse pass protector.
      I take this back. Playing as Cam Wake with Miami I was abusing the Bills LT pretty good. Too bad my offense was atrocious. Tannehill couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in the second half. Don't know if DPP was kicking in or not but he sucked.

I haven't seen the cpu playing as poorly on the unbalanced sets as I saw in the Titans game. I wonder if the problem is linked to certain playbooks? I'm not a fan of Miami's and I will probably change it.

They seem to have changed the way kicking works. It was good in M12 in that when I dropped the air to kick it a little lower it would go farther. Now it feels like NCAA where you can't adjust the height or it won't go as far. The accuracy is way too easy on All-Pro as well. Even at 35 I can be way off when I push up on the stick and I still hit the FG if the arrow is aimed right. We really need separate sliders for user/cpu.
      Rudy -
      New Madden rosters will be available Saturday morning but not until early next week for franchise mode. A patch may require current franchises to restart or continue playing without the patch (it will be an option along with using the older expanded rosters).

Personally I will not be starting a franchise until the cpu play calling tendencies are fixed. Running the ball 80% of the time on 1st and 2nd down for every team is just unacceptable for me. I need that fixed. No word yet on the patch. They initially were aiming at September 11th but I have a feeling they are pushing it back to squeeze a few more things in.
      Rudy -
      To do certain jukes you have to spam on the r-stick back and forth. Guy are getting some jukes. See these couple videos where some sweet moves are made:

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/134145182

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/134141391

Instructions from OS (note that he spells poorly - "whole" should be hole - just a pet peeve sometimes):

First off, the "Barry juke & the cut & burst" all consist of this... BANG BANG! Once you receive the the ball DO NOT hit the speed trigger, take notice before the ball is snapped & pay attention to where your FB or LT are pulling to create an potential hole. Once you know where the whole is suppose be:

Run towards it (normally) & then BANG BANG (RS = R+L with the LS pointed towards the hole!

Understand this: If the play is going right your BANG BANG should go like this (RS = Right, Left + LS pointed towards the whole)

If the play is going left your BANG BANG (left, right) should go like this:
      (RS = Left, Right + LS pointed towards the whole)

Now, if or when you are able to get to the second level of the D try these RS (BANG) moves:

BANG, BANG, BANG (Left, Right, Left) *Plant, stutter & burst
      BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG (Left, Right, Left, Right) *Barry juke

Now there is more that I am learning, but for now this is what I know works 100%

Also lol, I say "BANG BANG" because when you make a move with the RS it needs to be quick & hard I.E. left right (BANG BANG).
      gigemaggs99 -
      Well I don't know a lot but that 2nd video, it looks almost real! The graphics are amazing.
      Rudy -
      One thing I really like about the running game is that power runners are clearly better between the tackles while smaller, quicker guys are meant to run outside. Taking McFadden and just slamming it up the gut will be a waste of your running game. He was very ineffective for me inside but great outside. When I play with the Dolphins if I want to run between the tackles I bring Daniel Thomas in. Frank Gore is great inside for the 49ers. You have to be able to break some tackles to run inside in this game.

Personally, I prefer bigger backs that have enough wiggle to not be one dimensional. I like running with Daniel Thomas a lot more than Reggie Bush.
      jaymo76 -
      One thing I really like about the running game is that power runners are clearly better between the tackles while smaller, quicker guys are meant to run outside. Taking McFadden and just slamming it up the gut will be a waste of your running game. He was very ineffective for me inside but great outside. When I play with the Dolphins if I want to run between the tackles I bring Daniel Thomas in. Frank Gore is great inside for the 49ers. You have to be able to break some tackles to run inside in this game.

Personally, I prefer bigger backs that have enough wiggle to not be one dimensional. I like running with Daniel Thomas a lot more than Reggie Bush.
      I was playing the demo earlier on and I totally agree that 13 really has hum running down. Powerbacks inside and speed backs outside. Madden 12, McFadden is a beast everywhere on the field. In 13 I had most success with him to the outside.
      jaymo76 -
      Still no word on the patch??? There is no way IMO of a patch next week. I still have not puchased because I am waiting on the patch update. If editing rosters is in then I will be heading up to Best Buy or Future Shop pretty much right away. But if editing isn't included then I will continue avoiding this game. In truth I don't expect editing to be included but I am still hoping for it... well that and change the cpu uniform.
      Rudy -
      No word on the patch. I've got major concerns over whether sliders work right in franchise. Many people are posting they don't work the same and the game plays different. I haven't messed with franchise myself so I don't know. The sliders better work after the patch and they better fix the game planning stuff so the cpu isn't running 80% of the time on 1st and 2nd down for many teams. I have a bad feeling the first patch got delayed because they found so many bugs and issues. It was supposed to be out September 11th but I bet they delayed it to work on more things.

EA is definitely feeling the pressure about editing. No fantasy draft for sure but they said editing is a possibility. It should be easy and allow me to do anything imo. I'd rather convert Miami back to a 3-4 and then move Wake back to OLB.
      Rudy -
      Maybe EA needs to offer primary positions and secondary positions for players. Some DBs can play safety or CB (like Charles Woodson now). Many hybrid players can be a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB. Many big 3-4 DEs can play 4-3 DT and can alternate in schemes and still play at a high level. A 4-3 DE should not necessarily be able to move inside. Many OL have the ability to play anywhere on the OL and they should be rewarded for it. Pro teams also have packages for players - like always using Welker in the slot for NE, Sproles being involved in certain packages, etc. EA has tried to compensate for this with certain formations (like the NASCAR package for NYG) as well as the packages but it doesn't seem to work well. What about teams that rotate their backs more often or use bigger backs in short yardage?

I think a better solution is:
      1) to provide a true formation sub menu system like NCAA football has.
      2) Provide more depth chart options. We have 3rd down back but what about short yardage back? What about 3rd down DL where you would sub in pass rushers? How about spread RB where you could denote any formation with 3+ WRs to use a quicker back like Sproles. I think that would help.
      3) Maybe provide a rotation system where you (and cpu based on coach tendencies) could set a 2-1 series rotation for the top two back if they are close in overall rating. Starter gets two series and then backup gets a full series.

Just trying to think of ways for us to use our personel better and especially an easier way for the cpu to do it as well.
      jaymo76 -
      Maybe EA needs to offer primary positions and secondary positions for players. Some DBs can play safety or CB (like Charles Woodson now). Many hybrid players can be a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB. Many big 3-4 DEs can play 4-3 DT and can alternate in schemes and still play at a high level. A 4-3 DE should not necessarily be able to move inside. Many OL have the ability to play anywhere on the OL and they should be rewarded for it. Pro teams also have packages for players - like always using Welker in the slot for NE, Sproles being involved in certain packages, etc. EA has tried to compensate for this with certain formations (like the NASCAR package for NYG) as well as the packages but it doesn't seem to work well. What about teams that rotate their backs more often or use bigger backs in short yardage?

I think a better solution is:
      1) to provide a true formation sub menu system like NCAA football has.
      2) Provide more depth chart options. We have 3rd down back but what about short yardage back? What about 3rd down DL where you would sub in pass rushers? How about spread RB where you could denote any formation with 3+ WRs to use a quicker back like Sproles. I think that would help.
      3) Maybe provide a rotation system where you (and cpu based on coach tendencies) could set a 2-1 series rotation for the top two back if they are close in overall rating. Starter gets two series and then backup gets a full series.

Just trying to think of ways for us to use our personel better and especially an easier way for the cpu to do it as well.
      I think that position changes are a mandatory feature, no questions asked. As for the formation subs, this is one area where NCAA owns Madden. The Madden on the fly subs are awful. Since the developers have bragged about builing from the ground up, how were formation subs ala NCAA style not addressed?
      jaymo76 -
      Sitting here watching Sunday ticket I can't help but notice the uniform selections for some of the teams. Tiburon, please remind me again why we cannot chose the CPU uniform in CCM? 2012 and in some areas we had more options on ps1. Please fix this via a patch!