• Madden NFL 13 - Share Your Thoughts & Impressions

Madden NFL 13 will be available beginning Friday at 6 PM ET for EA SPORTS Season Ticket subscribers with the retail launch on August 28.

Highlighted by Connected Careers and the new Infinity Engine, Madden NFL 13 may be the most anticipated edition of the franchise in years. Once you play the game, share your thoughts and impressions on the game here with the community.
    Comments 331 Comments
      ram29jackson -
      I actually wish the load/start screen you see when the game loads and you fly through that big black n blue room with the NFL logo's n stuff..I wish that was a room you actually could navigate with the menues..it just looks cool...like the year they had the madden training that looked like Tron and the year they had the ring and trophy type Madden shrine
      jaymo76 -
      Over at the EA Sports/Madden forums their boards are just being clogged up with negative posts and reposts. To be fair to EA, there have been a few members who have tried to respond the best they can (As a side note, it's fine to be angry at the game but don't make it personal...). However of interest there is a poll asking who would like old franchise mode returned. Currently the vote is 197 votes (98%) to 5 (2%) ... in favour of returning to the old franchise mode. Wow!!!

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/8935812.page

There seems to be a massive dissconenct between a number of the madden game changers and the a typical madden fan. Most people say the same thing... IE has improved the game while CCM is fairly shallow and lacking of previous features with a number of new buggy features thrown in the mix. It will be fascinating to see how the Madden team proceeds. What will they return via a patch (what can they return via a patch?) and how long will it take? I highly doubt too much can be done but only time will tell. This is the chance for them to show that they do truly value the consumers. I hope they respond in kind.
      ram29jackson -
      Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
      Over at the EA Sports/Madden forums their boards are just being clogged up with negative posts and reposts. To be fair to EA, there have been a few members who have tried to respond the best they can (As a side note, it's fine to be angry at the game but don't make it personal...). However of interest there is a poll asking who would like old franchise mode returned. Currently the vote is 197 votes (98%) to 5 (2%) ... in favour of returning to the old franchise mode. Wow!!!

There seems to be a massive dissconenct between a number of the madden game changers and the a typical madden fan. Most people say the same thing... IE has improved the game while CCM is fairly shallow and lacking of previous features with a number of new buggy features thrown in the mix. It will be fascinating to see how the Madden team proceeds. What will they return via a patch (what can they return via a patch?) and how long will it take? I highly doubt too much can be done but only time will tell. This is the chance for them to show that they do truly value the consumers. I hope they respond in kind.
      the only thing they arent in favor of is the not working part/s...whats not to like when you can still control a whole team?...they dont like that things altered because EA cant keep what they had while altering it. I am sure they intend to put original coach mode back in ( which i dont get?..must be the lazy-est people in the world who want a mode where you just pick a play and watch AI who cant even execute it right for a decade)..whats to be upset about/ the game does what it always has, just with a different menu and a couple add- ons. if people want it back the way it was, that just means it will suck again next year with all the change arounds they keep doing.

get rid of motion blur, it just screws up recording your replays and makes the video crappy
      Rudy -
      However of interest there is a poll asking who would like old franchise mode returned. Currently the vote is 197 votes (98%) to 5 (2%) ... in favour of returning to the old franchise mode. Wow!!!

Wow. 98%! You can't get 98% of the people to agree grass is green. That's a lot. They did not explain it well nor should have changed the name of the mode from franchise. You can't take that many options out either. Josh Looman is feeling the pressure!

Not sure why they felt the need to combine Superstar mode and franchise. Who will actually take advantage of that?
      SmoothPancakes -
      Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
      I am sure they intend to put original coach mode back in ( which i dont get?..must be the lazy-est people in the world who want a mode where you just pick a play and watch AI who cant even execute it right for a decade).
      SmoothPancakes -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      Wow. 98%! You can't get 98% of the people to agree grass is green. That's a lot. They did not explain it well nor should have changed the name of the mode from franchise. You can't take that many options out either. Josh Looman is feeling the pressure!

Not sure why they felt the need to combine Superstar mode and franchise. Who will actually take advantage of that?
      Plus not to mention it's still essentially two different modes. You either create a coach or a player. Just like you did with franchise and Superstar. You either create a coach or a player. All they did was throw the two under the same menus/options on the main menu and give them different names.
      Gotmadskillzson -
      I am sure they intend to put original coach mode back in ( which i dont get?..must be the lazy-est people in the world who want a mode where you just pick a play and watch AI who cant even execute it right for a decade)..

That is such a short sided thing to say. Some people just like the strategy behind X's and O's. Pure play calling. More of a challenge. There is no challenge for me personally user controlling players because you can make the dumbest player on the game the best player on the game when you are the one controlling him. Ratings go out the window.

Coach mode, you have to rely on the ratings, rely on play calling, rely on finding the right personnel to fit your offense. User controlling players, don't matter if you get a 88 rated player or a 40 rated player because you are controlling him.

Then you have to think of all the disabled vets out there who simply can't move the sticks as quick or might even just have one hand. Coach mode was the way for them to keep playing the game they love. Since you literally can play coach mode with one hand.
      gschwendt -
      The only logic I see behind is that now they no longer need to maintain two different modes... if you add a feature to one, it obviously works for both now. The only problem is that can also paint you into a corner where something you want to do for Coach Mode is more difficult because it also has to translate to Player mode.
      jaymo76 -
      Well I'm a little surprised and dissapointed by EA. After the poll (above) hit 203 for returning franchise mode to 5 for not, the mods deleted the post. I get that they don't like negative posts towards their products but don't resort to deleting posts.

As for the game, I wish I would have seen that trades video earlier... I didn't realise you could see the teams interest simply by putting a player on the block and then scrolling through the teams.
      ram29jackson -
      Well I'm a little surprised and dissapointed by EA. After the poll (above) hit 203 for returning franchise mode to 5 for not, the mods deleted the post. I get that they don't like negative posts towards their products but don't resort to deleting posts.

As for the game, I wish I would have seen that trades video earlier... I didn't realise you could see the teams interest simply by putting a player on the block and then scrolling through the teams.

thats funny, they are as bad as OS when it comes to self promotion at times. Big Brother never sleeps
      SmoothPancakes -
      Quote Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson View Post

That is such a short sided thing to say. Some people just like the strategy behind X's and O's. Pure play calling. More of a challenge. There is no challenge for me personally user controlling players because you can make the dumbest player on the game the best player on the game when you are the one controlling him. Ratings go out the window.

Coach mode, you have to rely on the ratings, rely on play calling, rely on finding the right personnel to fit your offense. User controlling players, don't matter if you get a 88 rated player or a 40 rated player because you are controlling him.

Then you have to think of all the disabled vets out there who simply can't move the sticks as quick or might even just have one hand. Coach mode was the way for them to keep playing the game they love. Since you literally can play coach mode with one hand.

I enjoyed playing some coach mode in NCAA 12. It completely changes the way you play the game because you can't just cheese the CPU with human stick skills. You have to think like an actual college coach when it comes to your play calling because it's going to be your players and their ratings that decide the outcome, not you and your stick skills. Completely changes your view of things in the game when you're trying to outsmart your opponent (CPU or human) via play calling and situationals in the game instead of trying to out-stick them.
      jaymo76 -
      Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post

I enjoyed playing some coach mode in NCAA 12. It completely changes the way you play the game because you can't just cheese the CPU with human stick skills. You have to think like an actual college coach when it comes to your play calling because it's going to be your players and their ratings that decide the outcome, not you and your stick skills. Completely changes your view of things in the game when you're trying to outsmart your opponent (CPU or human) via play calling and situationals in the game instead of trying to out-stick them.
      With my kids the age they are, I am actually considering doing a coach mode franchise in the near future. It may acutally allow me to play a little during the daytime hours.
      souljahbill -
      With my kids the age they are, I am actually considering doing a coach mode franchise in the near future. It may acutally allow me to play a little during the daytime hours.
      You could make it an online dynasty and play from the web also.
      ram29jackson -
      ya' know, its cool when you are using Peyton Manning and when you call audibles, its his voice you are actually hearing !
      jaymo76 -
      Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
      The only logic I see behind is that now they no longer need to maintain two different modes... if you add a feature to one, it obviously works for both now. The only problem is that can also paint you into a corner where something you want to do for Coach Mode is more difficult because it also has to translate to Player mode.
      I totally understand why EA/Tiburon did this; I totally understand why EA/Tiburon wants us all online. However, the problem is that I don't recall ANYONE ever saying they wanted this. This is where I take issue with a number of the MADDEN specific game changers (nobody on this site... OS/Tradition Sports primarily). It has become abundantly clear that they do NOT represent the A-typical madden customer. Many of the things they have attested to valuing are things such as online play, rpg style, etc. They have a specific agenda that many do not buy into. Also some have vested personal interests in makkng sure this game sells well(eg being a game changer AND selling a prima madden guide...???...). If EA/Tiburon wants open and honest feedback there are a heck of a lot of people who can provide it. Day after day the backlash against 13 continues to become more and more vocal. I think it would do a world of good for some of the Tiburon folks to have an open honest discussion about what they see for this game in the immediate and longterm future.

Edit: I think CCM has massive potential... IF..... they ADD BACK EVERYTHING THEY TOOK OUT.
      Rudy -
      There are guys on OS that have figured out how to get the Madden 13 rosters on both 360 and PS3 to import into Madden 12. The roster database file is exactly the same so you get all the rookies and everything else. A couple tricks to do but guys are making it work. After being so annoyed with the run/pass ratios and play calling problems due to gameflow/gameplanning incorrectly rating runs far higher than passes on 1st and 2nd down, I rented Madden 12 again to see if I could go back. It's hard.

The presentation in terms of replay systems is way better. They don't trigger after every play and they actually are interesting and not useless. Stadium sounds are done properly. But the commentary team, especially Gus Johnson, is really hard to take after Nantz and Simms. The new guys may have some problems here and there but they are a huge upgrade. The crowds are done really well in M13 as well. That's better.

The other tough thing is that M13 passing is WAY better. I love the ability to throw guys open and the timing of the comeback routes. You can't throw guys open in M12. Pushing on the stick means you throw it a bit higher or shade a WR slightly but it's nowhere near the same. Press coverage in M12 is a bit too effective and your WRs can really struggle to get off the line. The passing game is more open in M13 and more fun. M12 can't compete in this area.

While I have stated I don't think the Infinity engine is that big a deal it does make gang tackling way better. Cleaning up tackles rather than bouncing off a forcefield due to a canned animation kicking in is a significant improvement. Not something you see all the time but the feel of the game is different.

I have made my decision to stick with M13. I just hope the bugs and issues of franchise mode - making sure sliders are working right, sub sliders are working, XP is correct, etc gets fixed. My biggest beef by far is the cpu play calling. The gameplanning is simply broken as the tendencies on 1st and 2nd down rate running plays FAR higher than passing plays. This is simply wrong in today's NFL and doesn't represent the various teams properly. I hope this gets fixed in the early patch and/or tuning files.
      gigemaggs99 -

I think they "secretly" do this so they came come out with Madden 14 or 15 and really put a hard sell on the "ALL NEW FRANCHISE MODE"
      ram29jackson -
      I like the new replay system..there may be mistakes in it..but it gives you a perspective of the cameras put in..and it looks like NFL Films a little haha

..there may actually be mistakes at how it plays out that they didnt intend, angles etc....but it still looks cool. And I assume everything they bragged about last year as far as all the camera angles are still in there...?
      WolverineJay -
      There are guys on OS that have figured out how to get the Madden 13 rosters on both 360 and PS3 to import into Madden 12. The roster database file is exactly the same so you get all the rookies and everything else. A couple tricks to do but guys are making it work. After being so annoyed with the run/pass ratios and play calling problems due to gameflow/gameplanning incorrectly rating runs far higher than passes on 1st and 2nd down, I rented Madden 12 again to see if I could go back. It's hard.

The presentation in terms of replay systems is way better. They don't trigger after every play and they actually are interesting and not useless. Stadium sounds are done properly. But the commentary team, especially Gus Johnson, is really hard to take after Nantz and Simms. The new guys may have some problems here and there but they are a huge upgrade. The crowds are done really well in M13 as well. That's better.

The other tough thing is that M13 passing is WAY better. I love the ability to throw guys open and the timing of the comeback routes. You can't throw guys open in M12. Pushing on the stick means you throw it a bit higher or shade a WR slightly but it's nowhere near the same. Press coverage in M12 is a bit too effective and your WRs can really struggle to get off the line. The passing game is more open in M13 and more fun. M12 can't compete in this area.

While I have stated I don't think the Infinity engine is that big a deal it does make gang tackling way better. Cleaning up tackles rather than bouncing off a forcefield due to a canned animation kicking in is a significant improvement. Not something you see all the time but the feel of the game is different.

I have made my decision to stick with M13. I just hope the bugs and issues of franchise mode - making sure sliders are working right, sub sliders are working, XP is correct, etc gets fixed. My biggest beef by far is the cpu play calling. The gameplanning is simply broken as the tendencies on 1st and 2nd down rate running plays FAR higher than passing plays. This is simply wrong in today's NFL and doesn't represent the various teams properly. I hope this gets fixed in the early patch and/or tuning files.
      Thanks so much Rudy. I did this very easily today and it works. I don't mind that the rookies have no faces since the game can't load what doesn't exist, lol. I played a game with the Colts to check out Luck. My goodness 526 yards passing 37-62 5 TDs n 2 Int. I fell behind early after the 1st Qtr it was 17-0 against RGIII and the Skins'. Man he just killed me on scrambles and me being rusty playing M12. I lost a close game 45-38, but it felt all too easy too pass as usual. I mean I checked my settings and I have User Pass Accuracy at 10 and the CPU Pass Awareness at 100 and I still shredded the Skins'. That is why I haven't played much more than 3 seasons of my Lions Dynasty just way too easy to pass in M12. Might still fire up a new Franchise with Luck because I still lost which means I might have some incentive to build my team up. Plus I can import an edited NCAA draft class with Barkley to have a realistic 2013 draft with actual players. Thanks again.
      Rudy -
      I struggled throwing in M12 lol. I think it's easier on All-Pro in M13 and I'm grateful for that. Passing has never been my strong suit.

It does annoy me that people are able to take the M13 rosters and load them into M12 without much problem. I saw a guy actually import an M12 roster into M13. Why again are edits not possible in M13? No good reason.