• NCAA Football 13 Demo Available Now on XBL & PS3

The NCAA Football 13 demo is now available on both XBL (queue download from web here) and PSN.

The demo features one Heisman Challenge match-up (of co-cover athlete Robert Griffin III) and several match-ups from Week 10: USC-Oregon, LSU-Alabama, Kansas State vs. Baylor. All match-ups consist of four three-minute quarters with Studio Updates, however the Heisman Challenge game features four five-minute quarters with defense supersimmed.

Sharing the demo with a friend will unlock five Nike Pro-Combat uniforms for use in the retail version of the game: LSU, Navy, Stanford, Boise State, Ohio State. Playing through each Dynasty Experience match-up will unlock WR Tim Brown, RB Archie Griffin, and QB Jim Plunkett for use in Heisman Challenge in retail version.

After downloading and playing the demo, share your impressions and feedback here with the community. Continue on to see a video detailing what you can expect in the demo.

Articles from EA
    Get the Demo
    Spoiler: show
    Hey Everyone, Ben Haumiller here and with July 10th
    fast approaching it’s time to talk about this year’s demo. First off, I’m happy to announced that the demo is now available for download, so rather than just hear about the buzz coming out of E3, you will get a chance to get your hands on the game and check out all of the great gameplay improvements for yourself.We are very excited about this year’s demo for two reasons; first, we are giving you a deeper look at what’s new than ever before, and second, we have never provided more rewards for checking out the demo.Before we get into the details, let’s take do a quick overview of the menu and we will dive into the features from there. You will see that we are providing a preview of the new Heisman Challenge, a Dynasty Mode experience, and the ability to share the demo with a friend.

Heisman Challenge presented by NissanFirst let’s start with the Heisman Challenge. For the first time ever you will have the chance to experience what it’s like to be a Heisman Trophy winner. There are 16 former Heisman recipients involved in the Heisman Challenge in the full retail version of the game, but for the demo we are giving you a chance to play as 2011 Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III. You will be able to put RG3 on one of the six teams included in the demo, and experience for yourself the new Total Control passing system. You can also check out the all new Reaction Time feature which gives you the ability to “slow the game down” and take the time to make the split-second decisions that came so natural to these Heisman greats.
    Dynasty ExperienceWith the addition of ESPN Studio Updates and the Bottom Line ticker to Dynasty Mode, we wanted to give you a feel for how the stories of the day will be revealed to you depending on when your game is being played. To do this, we are going to drop you into a Dynasty that has been simmed to week 10 of the upcoming college football season. We chose week 10 for two very important reasons, Oregon @ USC and Alabama @ LSU. Since both of those games are played in week 10 it was the natural choice for our Dynasty experience week. With RG3 being playable in the Heisman Challenge it also felt right for us to select Baylor as one of the teams in our other matchup, and we opted for Kansas State as Baylor’s opponent.When you select the Dynasty Experience from the menu you will be brought to the schedule screen where you will have the ability to select any of these three matchups. Each one is at a different time of day so that you will get to experience the “stories of Saturday” from three different perspectives.
    Once you select your game it’s time to head in and check out all of those new gameplay improvements like Total Control Passing, Read and React Defensive AI, and more. Not only that, you can also follow all of the action around the country through the Bottom Line and Studio Updates with Rece Davis.

Heisman Challenge UnlockAs a reward for checking out the demo, we are going to give you three Heisman Challenge athletes for use in the full retail version ofNCAA Football 13. By completing each of the three demo matchups (either through the Heisman Challenge or the Dynasty experience) you will unlock classic Heisman winners Jim Plunkett, Tim Brown, and Archie Griffin.

Share the DemoIn addition to the Heisman Challenge unlocks, we are also giving you 5 Nike Pro Combat uniforms just for telling a friend to check out the NCAA Football 13 demo. All you need to do is share the demo once and you will unlock the Nike Pro Combat uniforms for Navy, Stanford, Ohio State, LSU, and Boise State:

Now that you’ve got the details, go download that demo and start enjoying your first hands-on peek at NCAA Football 13. Be sure to preorder the game, and get ready for the full experience on July 10th.

How to Download the Demo
    Spoiler: show
    With the NCAA Football 13 demo available to download now, it’s time to get your hands on this year’s game, check out all of the new gameplay improvements, and unlock your 5 Nike Pro Combat Uniforms as well as your three Heisman Challenge Athletes. If you’ve never downloaded a demo before, here’s what you need to do:
    Xbox Live Demo Download Steps
    1. From Xbox Home go to the Games section
    2. Select Games Marketplace
    3. Go to the Demos section and select New Releases
    4. Select the NCAA Football 13 Demo
    5. Select Free Download
    6. Select Confirm Download
    Visit the Xbox 360 Marketplace

PlayStation® Store Demo Download Steps
    1. On the Cross Menu Bar (XMB) of the PlayStation go to PlayStation Store icon under the account menu option (the second column from the right).
    2. Once you select this it will load you into the PlayStation Store.
    3. In the Store Menu go to PlayStation Demos option to get a list of demos.
    4. Here you should see a list of demos that are currently available to download.
    Note: This could be broken into sub sections like Action/Adventure, Sports, Racing, etc. You want to pick “Sports” or “New”.
    5. Here is where you can find the NCAA® Football 13 Demo and can select it.
    6. In this screen select the demo and choose to download the file which will be free and install it.
    7. Once the install is done to access it you need to go back to the XMB.
    8. On the XMB go to the Game column (fourth from the right) and you will an NCAA® Football 20th Anniversary logo that is the new demo.
    The NCAA Football 13 demo will be available on PlayStation® Store June 6 at 7PM EDT/4PM PDT

Comments 659 Comments
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by WolverineJay View Post
      I know Jeff it happened twice in the demo and both times in my favor, but still I don't see why they can't get the spot placement correct everytime. I mean if I pick it up or if one of my CPU defenders picks it up the ball it is spotted correctly, but not if it is kicked forward SMH.
      As far as I'm aware, there's no technical reason why they couldn't handle it. But, the why doesn't really matter, it's still a bug.
      Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
      Sometimes. From what I can tell, if the EMOL is completely outside the tackle, he'll go unblocked. However, if his shoulder is lined up on the outside shoulder of the tackle (or he's further inside), he'll be blocked. So even against 3-man fronts, if the DL is spread, he'll go unblocked.
      Interesting assessment. I saw something similar, but I honestly thought it was just coincidence. That at least suggests that it's not regarding him as EMOL, but is instead just looking for the nearest man, like zone blocking.

I did notice that all of the special pre-play art for the offensive line is missing, they just look like they're doing pure forward blocking. I'll be intrigued to see if that's a demo-only thing. If the logic is there, I don't really mind (though it sucks if the logic is there and just can't be viewed anymore). I know last year there were some issues with it, but I'd hate to see it totally removed.

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
      in the real world you can move your players around without being considered cheating, but putting your best in the slot in this game tends to give an advantage. At least most dont like it.

slot receiver = 3rd or 4th on depth chart usually. Plenty of great slot receivers but still not best on their teams for the most part.
      Have you heard of Wes Welker?

But your greater point, about it being borderline cheese, is on spot. In an uber-competitive OD, people will at least look at you funny for the first glance if they see your Impact WR in the slot. If he's purely a possession guy (i.e. no SPD), then maybe you can pass it off, but otherwise it's a difficult move to make. Or at least excuse.
      Rudy -
      There have been some really good slot WRs but they are clearly in the minority. The majority of teams best WRs play on the outside and a lot of those guys don't move to the slot on 3rd downs. Smaller guys like Welker are built for inside but Calvin Johnson, Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson and most bigger WRs stay on the outside. I think Jaymo's point is that the lack of timing in the routes has made it much harder to get it to your best receivers on the outside while throwing to the slot has been too easy. It could be better this year.
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dr Death View Post
      Thanks, Jaymo76 for posting this. I have been debating on buying a 42" or 46" wide screen but if you can't see your outside receivers w/ a 50" then I'll save the money! Much appreciated!
      I'm pretty sure that the default camera is set in such a way that no matter what size screen you get (as long as what you're placing is a widescreen), the view is going to be the same. It scales up. As far as I know it doesn't zoom out with a bigger screen or cut off certain parts of the screen with a smaller size. The widescreen view is the same for every widescreen, as far as I'm aware.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      I think Jaymo's point is that the lack of timing in the routes has made it much harder to get it to your best receivers on the outside while throwing to the slot has been too easy. It could be better this year.
      It's not just timing. It's also that the default camera view makes it very difficult to see streaks before ~10 yards, and out routes beyond a certain point. Especially if the CB is in close coverage and so you can't see him either. I can get the ball easily to my outside receivers, they just have to either be running an inside route, or I have to move the pocket.
      baseballplyrmvp -
      There have been some really good slot WRs but they are clearly in the minority. The majority of teams best WRs play on the outside and a lot of those guys don't move to the slot on 3rd downs. Smaller guys like Welker are built for inside but Calvin Johnson, Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson and most bigger WRs stay on the outside. I think Jaymo's point is that the lack of timing in the routes has made it much harder to get it to your best receivers on the outside while throwing to the slot has been too easy. It could be better this year.
      part of it can be blamed on the camera. with the limited view that you're given, your attention is going to be on what you see on the screen. since the slot receivers are almost always visible on the screen, people are gonna see that they're open way before they can see if the outside wr's are open. combine that with how most slot receivers, on the default plays, are running some sort of crossing route over the middle, they're naturally gonna be looked at first, since it takes a little bit longer for the outside guys to enter the screen.

in this site's 360 od, i had both extremes in my games while playing as . i remember several games where the bulk of my receptions went to the outside guys (22 receptions out of 34 total), another game where the bulk of my receptions went to the slot wr's (25 receptions out of 39), and one game where all 4 wr's had an equal distribution (2 receivers each had 10 catches, and the other two had 9 each). the key thing though, is that if you want your outside wr's to get receptions, you have to make the effort to get them the ball. that means, that you have to look outside or have them running routes over the middle.
      xGRIDIRONxGURUx -
      does anybody else on this forum switch to the center and switch back every play so that every playt he camera is zoomed out at the snap, and for passes it stays zoomed out so you can see all the routes?

i do it every single play all game long so i can pick up blitzes from CB's for the gun triple... i always assumed that was a common practice
      Big Blue -
      in the real world you can move your players around without being considered cheating, but putting your best in the slot in this game tends to give an advantage. At least most dont like it.
      I don't know how it would be cheating to put your fast/quick and small receivers in the slot. That's just playing realistically even if they are your best receiver. That's why there are formation subs. You don't have to put them at third on the depth chart just move them around.
      ram29jackson -
      Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post

Have you heard of Wes Welker?

But your greater point, about it being borderline cheese, is on spot. In an uber-competitive OD, people will at least look at you funny for the first glance if they see your Impact WR in the slot. If he's purely a possession guy (i.e. no SPD), then maybe you can pass it off, but otherwise it's a difficult move to make. Or at least excuse.

yeah, he's short and lost the Super Bowl

of course I thought of him ...and Jordy Nelson is my new favorite player.

If this game has finally started putting best on best and correcting alignment, it shouldnt matter anymore. But in the past , putting you best or fastest in the slot meant he was covered by a LB or safety or a weak CB. You could theoretically throw to him all day for success.
      ram29jackson -
      Quote Originally Posted by xGRIDIRONxGURUx View Post
      does anybody else on this forum switch to the center and switch back every play so that every playt he camera is zoomed out at the snap, and for passes it stays zoomed out so you can see all the routes?

i do it every single play all game long so i can pick up blitzes from CB's for the gun triple... i always assumed that was a common practice

what ? explain please ?
      jaymo76 -
      After practise I have finally got some big gains through the HB screen. Due to the pressure I was using bullet but since switching to a high, slow lob I have been able to scorch the D, especially Kansas.
      WolverineJay -
      what ? explain please ?
      I think he is just referring to the ability to see the whole field pre and post snap using the R2 button (right trigger) and then switching players with the circle button. It works, I do it all the time.
      xGRIDIRONxGURUx -
      pre-snap... hit your R2 or corresponding button... quick zoom out... then hit circle and up to swap to your Center really quick and circle and down to come back to QB... screen stays zoomed out at snap until you hand off...
      Rudy -
      I do agree with you guys. The camera can make it hard/scary to get the ball to your outside WRs.

And Ram - Welker did not cost the Patriots the Superbowl. I know you are joking to a degree but I was annoyed while watching everyone criticize him for that "drop". While he had a chance to make that catch it was hardly routine. That was a tough play. If that was a baseball play 100 out of 100 scorers would have never ruled that an error.
      ram29jackson -
      I do agree with you guys. The camera can make it hard/scary to get the ball to your outside WRs.

And Ram - Welker did not cost the Patriots the Superbowl. I know you are joking to a degree but I was annoyed while watching everyone criticize him for that "drop". While he had a chance to make that catch it was hardly routine. That was a tough play. If that was a baseball play 100 out of 100 scorers would have never ruled that an error.

thats why I brought up his hight ...anyone watching can tell that was a rediculous pass to try and catch from that position and angle
      prime9 -

That isn't routine? The ball hit both of his palms. If you're in the NFL, that's a catch 99 out of 100 times.
      souljahbill -
      He jumped AND fell backwards after having to do a 180 spin just to get into position. The only way he makes that catch is if he had Megatron/Randy Moss/T.O. type of height. For his height, that was a tough catch.
      JSmith03 -
      Growing up playing receiver, I was always taught, "If you get your hands on it, catch it." No matter if it was high, low, or anywhere in between, if I could get a hand on it, I was expected to catch it, as was the other receivers. He got BOTH hands on it, it was totally catchable. Yes, it was difficult, but it's his job to catch it, and if he expects a new contract like he does now, then he has to come up with those types of catches. Therefore, he should have caught it.
      souljahbill -
      Quote Originally Posted by JSmith03 View Post
      Growing up playing receiver, I was always taught, "If you get your hands on it, catch it." No matter if it was high, low, or anywhere in between, if I could get a hand on it, I was expected to catch it, as was the other receivers. He got BOTH hands on it, it was totally catchable. Yes, it was difficult, but it's his job to catch it, and if he expects a new contract like he does now, then he has to come up with those types of catches. Therefore, he should have caught it.
      You never dropped a pass? You caught every single pass you touched?
      Dr Death -
      Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
      You never dropped a pass? You caught every single pass you touched?
      I was taught the exact same thing JSmith was and it's funny, because at one practice we were working on our passing game and all of us - WR's, TE's, RB's - ALL of us were dropping passes left and right. It was just one of those days where nobody could catch a cold in Alaska! So our coach gets extremely irritated and tells us that the next dropped pass is going to result in the entire group of receivers running laps. Now we had a huge area where we practiced - not just 100 yards - and "laps" meant we would be running - in full gear - for roughly an hour or so!

So the first play he calls after making this statement is a pass for me! Great, I think... no pressure here. I run a corner route and the QB lays it right in my hands, but, w/ the day being what it was, sure enough the ball goes right through my hands, ricochets off the top of my helmet and all I could think was: Start running your laps now! You have about a 25-30 yard head start!!!

So as I turn to begin my "lap" running, the ball, having bounced off my helmet is just floating in the air and I reach my hands out and catch it!!! And as I was running to the end zone - something we always did too - I was laughing my ass off because I know my coach is going to be mad that I didn't catch it clean but also because of the way I caught it!

When I finally get back to the team the coach tells me that I am the "luckiest son-of-a-bitch alive" and practice continues. And for whatever reason, that funny moment loosened everyone up and nobody dropped another pass. But yes, JSmith and I were taught the exact same thing. I think, deep down, coaches knew we wouldn't catch every single pass, but they wanted that mentality in our heads.
      SmoothPancakes -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dr Death View Post
      I was taught the exact same thing JSmith was and it's funny, because at one practice we were working on our passing game and all of us - WR's, TE's, RB's - ALL of us were dropping passes left and right. It was just one of those days where nobody could catch a cold in Alaska! So our coach gets extremely irritated and tells us that the next dropped pass is going to result in the entire group of receivers running laps. Now we had a huge area where we practiced - not just 100 yards - and "laps" meant we would be running - in full gear - for roughly an hour or so!

So the first play he calls after making this statement is a pass for me! Great, I think... no pressure here. I run a corner route and the QB lays it right in my hands, but, w/ the day being what it was, sure enough the ball goes right through my hands, ricochets off the top of my helmet and all I could think was: Start running your laps now! You have about a 25-30 yard head start!!!

So as I turn to begin my "lap" running, the ball, having bounced off my helmet is just floating in the air and I reach my hands out and catch it!!! And as I was running to the end zone - something we always did too - I was laughing my ass off because I know my coach is going to be mad that I didn't catch it clean but also because of the way I caught it!

When I finally get back to the team the coach tells me that I am the "luckiest son-of-a-bitch alive" and practice continues. And for whatever reason, that funny moment loosened everyone up and nobody dropped another pass. But yes, JSmith and I were taught the exact same thing. I think, deep down, coaches knew we wouldn't catch every single pass, but they wanted that mentality in our heads.
      Now that's a funny story. That would have been a great moment to be a spectator.

And yeah, coaches pound that mentality into your head, but no receiver alive is ever going to catch every pass they touch. If a receiver was supposed to catch every single pass he ever touches, the dropped passes statistic wouldn't even exist today. It'd be incomplete passes from the QB throwing bad passes and missing the receivers and that would be it. Coaches like to and want to pound that "if you get your hands on it, catch it, no reason for you to drop it" mentality into every receiver, but they all know every single receiver is going to drop a pass at some point. It's a fact of life in football.
      Rudy -
      Quote Originally Posted by prime9 View Post

That isn't routine? The ball hit both of his palms. If you're in the NFL, that's a catch 99 out of 100 times.
      That pic on Welker is incredibly misleading. It was a tough catch and not routine. No way you can say that should be caught 99 times out of 100.

Watch the video where he has to change direction and make the catch at the same time. Welker probably does make that catch quite often but if he does make that catch would everyone have said "Big deal. Just a routine catch" OR would they have said "What an awesome catch! Play of the game!" and started comparing it to other great catches? People always bring up the Dwight Clark catch and this was a tougher play than that imo. (I don't agree with the Butterfingers statement at the end of the video lol).